Q4: Astrocom/Marlux Model 711 Quadraphonic Reel To Reel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

If you have any more photo's or comments to make on this Quadraphonic unit please feel free to post them in this thread....:)

Astrocom/Marlux Model 711 Quadraphonic Reel To Reel (1970)

Rarity: ULTRA RARE
Average Sale Price: UNKNOWN

Astrocom Quad Reel 1AA1.jpg

A very rare unit which was featured in a lineup of "soon to be released" components in October 1970, but may not have gone into production.

Update....slightly better image via my new scanner.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I don't remember this one at all, even though I was subscribing to Stereo Review, High Fidelity and Audio at this point. The lucky 711 model number is a hoot. Most tape machines had a Q or a 4 somewhere in the model #. But 711? Maybe they were anticipating 7.1, or even 11.1? LOL!! Wasn't Astro the Jetson's dog?

Linda

I just scored a few early Hi-Fi mags, and the Astrocom Quad RtoR on the cover of the October 1970 High Fidelity caught my attention seeing that I'd posted the image of the other Astrocom rarity. There seemed to be a few prototypes floating around in the late 60's early 70's that turned up as "soon to be released stuff" in the Hi-Fi sections of various mags....I guess they were just testing the reaction/interest.

Looks like the tape isn't threaded correctly. Appears to be below the capstan preventing it from contacting the pinch roller. Hard to tell for sure though.

Seems to have a 3-digit tape counter and reel holders (don't think I'd want to operate that machine upright).

Astro was the name of the Jetson's dog but his original name was Tralfaz, named by his former owner, the rich J.P. Gottrockets.

Whenever somebody mentioned this fact, Astro would exclaim, "RalRaz, Yucccckkkk!"

Doug

As Tralfaz would say, "rat right reorge!"

Linda

"Meet George Jetson, his boy Elroy, Jane his wife..." - Hanna & Barbera

Astro was the name of the Jetson's dog but his original name was Tralfaz, named by his former owner, the rich J.P. Gottrockets.

Whenever somebody mentioned this fact, Astro would exclaim, "RalRaz, Yucccckkkk!"

Doug

I always liked my Astrocom 407 reel to reel. It was based on a Panasonic transport. Along with their proposed 4-channel discrete cassette, this model never went into production.

Back