QUAD RESURRECTED: What are your 10 fave Quad titles, reissued on digital multi?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
My 500th post. Another argument starter from the SQueaky wheel. What are your 10 favorite Quad titles, reissued on digital? The title could be a new mix or old, but this should be your preferred version. In an upcoming thread, you can list your 10 favorite digital multi titles, not previously released in Quad. Have fun, Linda.

1- Dark Side of the Moon(Immersion Box)-Pink Floyd Blu-Ray I like the 5.1 mix. There's a special charm about the Parsons mix. More than nostalgic, the 4.0 mix is "of the time." Parsons is THE MIX and Blu-Ray is the Quad on steroids. Oscillations swirling around you. This a great demo album. Crank up those JBL's. Those damn clocks. The essence of an era. Nuff said.

2- Chicago Transit Authority DTS (Quadio) "Only the beginning of what I want to feel forever." My vote for the best song EVER! I still don't know what time it is, nor do I care. It's the SQ mix, on DVD-V with a square Quadradisc (CD-4) logo. Where once was SQ & Q8, there is DTS Quasi-Quadradisc. I've always loved this mix. It highlights the horns well and sounds very "discrete," even in SQ. No Advanced res. here, though. Questions 67 & 68, I'm a Man. "We've all spent years preparin,' before this group was born." Truly, you did!

3- Chicago II DVD-A First time this one didn't sound overly compressed and muddy. Even the SQ sounds a bit that way. Fantastic material. I've fallen in love with this one now more than ever. Color My World, 25 or 6 to 4, Wake Up Sunshine, Fancy Colours.

4- Band on the Run-Paul McCartney & Wings DTS When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Arguably his magnum opus, Paul had tapes stolen and the band quit. Great recipe for a successful album. I'm used to this on Q8, wonder how SQ would have decoded? Ths Quad mix is a joy. Synthesizer runs in the rears. Just a nice discrete Quad mix. Jet, 1985, Bluebird. It was as close to Quad Beatles as we got back then. Let me roll it to you.

5- Abraxas-Santana DTS CD The old Quad mix. This is the way I'm used to hearing it. Have owned 12 copies of this, spent the most time with the Q8. There is some dizzy panning on this one, but I like it. It was in the first batch of SQ's. Some complain about the transfer to DTS. Though not perfect, this CD is still great. Q8 is the way I've heard this most often. Oye Como Va, Black Magic Woman, Samba Pa Ti, all classics.

6- Tapestry-Carole King SACD single layer This is not your Mother's Tapestry. Instead of painfully reverberant like the Q8, this one is in real surround. Stereo was intimate, "Quad lite" was too cavernous, the 5.1 is just right. Perhaps those lamented anomalies were because her previous two (the City and Writer) were stiffs and didn't sell. Perhaps Lou Adler didn't want to spend money on a fix and/or Ode's then distributor A&M.needed a Q8 in a hurry. Get the 5.1.

7- Fly Like an Eagle-Steve Miller Band DTS Some gimmicky Quad effects here and there. Got the Q8 the first day it was out and popped it in the Q8 in the '76 Regal. Slippin, slippin, slippin down the road. Stylin' Nice mix, catchy tunes. Steve & co laid this down when he was laid up from a 'cycle accident.

8- Ship Ahoy-O' Jays SACD single layer A bass line that moves to each speaker. Money, the root of all evil. Human cargo years before Roots on ABC. Three guys with pipes. That Philly soul thing. A great SQ/Q8 becomes a great 5.1 SACD. This is what it's about.

9- To Our Children's Children's Children-Moody Blues Q8/QR title on SACD hybrid. Includes a CD of bonus tracks. Gypsy, Out & In, Watching and Waiting, and Candle of Life are highlights. It's all good here. Their best album. Q8 was my first copy. Time capsule of a bygone era. Left without a hope of coming home.

10- Mysterious Traveller-Weather Report SACD single layer Airto was gone, Jaco hadn't arrived. Miroslav's last album with them. This percolates. I dig the mix, it sounds very discrete. Never heard this in SQ, only Q8.

Pretty decent choices, QL. Can't find a fault with any of them. I will have to think about it a bit more to find any title that you missed.
Unfortunately, my title recall isn't what it used to be. :)

I will change the last two with these ones, and reorganize the list:

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (SACD)

Deep Purple - Machine Head (UK mix, SACD)

Sorry I'm too lazy to make a list of 10, but I'd have to add Jeff Beck, "Blow By Blow" to the list. Chicago Transit Authority would be #1 on my list.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
The Cars - 4.0 off Rockband
Court and Spark - Joni Mitchell
the doors greatest hits – the doors
Creedence Gold – CCR
tapestry – Carole king
LA woman – the doors
journey to the center of the eye – Nektar
a space and time - 10 years after
dark side of the moon, Alan Parsons – Pink Floyd
wish you were here – Pink Floyd

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Chicago Transit Authority
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
Pink Floyd - DSOTM

I don't think CCR Gold or Superfly does qualify... unless i'm missing something.

I don't think CCR Gold or Superfly does qualify... unless i'm missing something.

I have to agree... I don't think I've ever heard a version of CCR Gold that sounded good.
Since most were mixed for narrow stereo anyway, and yes, the quad is the only way you'll
get any separation on some of these and it IS a nice record to have (the Q8 I heard sounds like shit),
It's just nowhere on the list of good quad mixes. Just my opinion.

Never heard Superfly in any form.

Both CCR Gold and Superfly haven't been released in digital format (dvda, sacd, dts or bluray). Since the Q is on re-released on digital, these two simply doesn't qualify.

You NEED to hear Superfly! Way ahead of it's time. Soul/funk/jazz, it's got an infectuous groove! I have an expanded version.

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused here. Did I miss these on modern surround releases? I'd love to have digital, advanced res 5.1's of these, although the Quad mix of Creedence is no great shakes.

Doors greatest hits – is this compilation available in 5.1, or were you referring to the tracks being included on DVD-A in Perception?
Creedence Gold – CCR - I have a CD-4 of this and all the Analogue Prod 2ch SACD's.
Court & Spark-Joni Mitchell
Superfly- Curtis Mayfield
A space and time - 10 years after

Linda
Remember, Freddy's Dead

I have to agree... I don't think I've ever heard a version of CCR Gold that sounded good.
Since most were mixed for narrow stereo anyway, and yes, the quad is the only way you'll
get any separation on some of these and it IS a nice record to have (the Q8 I heard sounds like shit),
It's just nowhere on the list of good quad mixes. Just my opinion.

Never heard Superfly in any form.

You NEED to hear Superfly! Way ahead of it's time. Soul/funk/jazz, it's got an infectuous groove! I have an expanded version.

AFAIK Superfly wasn't ever mixed into quad (a cover of the track was present in some collection... but not the original)

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused here. Did I miss these on modern surround releases? I'd love to have digital, advanced res 5.1's of these, although the Quad mix of Creedence is no great shakes.

Doors greatest hits – is this compilation available in 5.1, or were you referring to the tracks being included on DVD-A in Perception?
Creedence Gold – CCR - I have a CD-4 of this and all the Analogue Prod 2ch SACD's.
Court & Spark-Joni Mitchell
Superfly- Curtis Mayfield
A space and time - 10 years after

None of them made into the official digital world. The only thing that may seem close to the "real thing" is a Hong-Kong only SACD for CCR "Chronicle" that is just a upmix of the stereo track - Jon has one.

i was just listing my favorite quad discs. some are upmixes, like superfly and the cars. go to btjunkie and search for them. they are amazing.

Back