Quadraphonic AM Radio - Maybe a first?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AM Quad would work GREAT, IF we had stuck with the Magnavox PMX system that the FCC originally chose. (Before the deep pockets of Motorola helped them to decide on C-QUAM!)

TB

I think we would have been better off with the Kahn-Hazeltine system. It didn't suffer from the platform motion problems that CQUAM, Harris, and PMX
did, and it could be heard in stereo using two standard AM radios, each off-
tuned slightly in opposite directions. On a proper Kahn AM stereo receiver, I think SQ or QS would have sounded quite good.

I've made some airchecks of SQ encoded songs off of a high quality AM Stereo tuner. I could email something to you if you'd like.

Sure! I'd love to hear how they sound! Can you tell me about the processing that was used, Orban, Omnia, CRL, or whatever?
I have a low-power (wink!) C-QUAM transmitter, and a Sony SRF-A100 I could run through a decoder, and a few EV recordings...guess it's play time, eh?

Thanx!
TB

I think we would have been better off with the Kahn-Hazeltine system. It didn't suffer from the platform motion problems that CQUAM, Harris, and PMX
did, and it could be heard in stereo using two standard AM radios, each off-
tuned slightly in opposite directions. On a proper Kahn AM stereo receiver, I think SQ or QS would have sounded quite good.

I won't argue with that, Kahn was my second favorite system, I liked PMX for it's very straight-forward approach to getting L-R into the signal. (simple LINEAR phase modulation)

I heard a tape of Kahn trying his system over XETRA, sounded pretty good!

There is a lot more about this on AM Stereo Forum...check it out...

Wish I had hooked that little Sony to a decoder...who knows WHAT was going over the air back then!

TB

How does a SQ encoded track fare after being broadcasted over an AM Stereo radio station?

I can only say it sounded good in stereo. I worked at KAZM AM 780 in Sedona and brought in my SQ copy of Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After All These Years" and played "My Little Town". I'm sure where the signal was good it would have decoded just fine. To anyone awake at 4AM I'm sure they got a treat, especially if they were hooked up to SQ.

This was sometime between July 1995 and February 1996. It was only the one playing so I'm not going to argue the first status. ;)

Good luck with your AM Quadraphonic station! :banana:

Back