Quadrophonic Matrix Encoder & Decoder - Verified Software Implementation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi shotto,
I´m using old PPC Macs with Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5, which have only an Java-Enviroment by Apple compatible to Suns Version 5. Is it possible to compile your programs in this version. I think, I´m not alone with this problem and would appreciate to test them.
Greetings!

I'm sorry, but please understand that I provide the software for free and as a proof of concept. Unfortunately, I'm quite limited in time which does not allow me to dedicate the necessary resources to the project to support the various software and hardware configurations out there.

I'm sorry, but please understand that I provide the software for free and as a proof of concept. Unfortunately, I'm quite limited in time which does not allow me to dedicate the necessary resources to the project to support the various software and hardware configurations out there.

How about making a version for my old Mac PPC (603e processor with a Pentium co-processor) running the real OS-8 (code named "Copeland") with near-final versions of NuKernel and Patch Manager. (that was a fun beta test program to be part of - until they dropped all Copeland work and bought Next, then rushed a MacOS system update to market under the name "OS-8" - but everyone knew it really was OS-7.x something.)

Just kidding - the work you are doing now is awesome!

Using the decoder how can I know if a track is stereo or SQ...

From my knowledge there is no way to check whether a record is SQ encoded or plain stereo by just analyzing it. You really need to listen to it with an activated SQ-Decoder and judge whether the resulting sound field has been created by intention.

Hi shotto,
it´s clear that you have a limited time budget. Thanks for your answer and best wishes for your projects!

From my knowledge there is no way to check whether a record is SQ encoded or plain stereo by just analyzing it. You really need to listen to it with an activated SQ-Decoder and judge whether the resulting sound field has been created by intention.
Well I don't believe in this as there was a guy in Holland who made a device to check if a record was SQ, and that's well over 30 years ago so I am sure if someone get into it he/THEY can made such a device. It's just wanting to, AND START, and CURRY ON keeping this POSITIVE state of mind!!! Here in this forum there seem to be some people wich a certain technical knowledge, if they get TOGETHER I am sure they can do it and that will help MANY of us to discover MANY other quad items .

I have to agree here. Knowing how the SQ matrix works, i would imagine there would be a way of creating a device that could give an indication of an album being SQ encoded. It was probably based around the MC1312 IC (not 100% sure that's the right number - long time ago).

Nowadays, i use my experience to tell whether a CD had used the encoded version used to create it. Not something you can teach really.

I'm sure that a piece of software could be created to indicate if anything is SQ BUT, and that is a really BIG BUT, i can't imagine it happening. I tried to get people together lat year for a project that got knowhere.

Of course, it would e nice to be proven wrong LOL

OD

The quadrature shifts of SQ's encoded rear channels should be able to be detected - a standard stereo recording wouldn't have all that much information with specific quadrature shifts like an SQ album - especially if the recording was a full-surround recording and not just ambience.

And it's pretty easy to tell if an LP is SQ because of the double-helical groove modulation - stereo LP's might have a little of it, but it's present in large amounts on most SQ LP's.

A Broadway note. Although the 1976 LPs of "Threepenny Opera" and "My Fair Lady" were issued as SQ LPs only, the reissued CD are NOT SQ, only stereo. Totally remixed with different voice and instrument placement. Also "Over Here" CD uses some totally differents takes from both the original LP and the SQ LP; CD not SQ.

I am only getting the 'java sound audio engine' as my outputs option on OS X Snow Leopard. I believe this is an issue with the Mac implementation of java as it is proprietary thru snow. Anyone know of any work-arounds?

Thanks,

Will

Hi GregHouse,
I had these long time ago, but ufortunately not anymore. I would propose to try the copied original hyperlink in the wayback machine (internet archive). Perhaps you are lucky.
Greetings, stokowski

Hi @stokowski
It worked!
Through of the "Wayback Machine" from the "Internet Archive", I was able to "access the page" through a snapshot from 2016, and fortunately the download links still work!

But unfortunately the development stopped and he did not implement what is described on the page:
Next step would be the implementation of some kind of Variable Gain Matrix (e.g. Shadow Vector, Tate DES or Vario Matrix) to improve the channel separation.

Thank you for the help.

Back