Question on current AV receivers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splinter7

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Somewhere in recent time, I have slipped behind the early adopters curve when it coes to AV components.

Can most of today's AV Receivers process the multi-channel mix from a SACD player via HDMI?

My legacy (I am not gonna call it "old") system is a Pinoeer Elite brand and the SACD player along with the receiver needed analog connections to process the multi-channel.
I am not seeing that on any new recievers and the multi purpose players that handle SACD do not seem to have analog outs.

Appreciate anyone's sage knoweldge!

Greg

Is there any tell tale way in the listed specs to know if a particular receiver can handle that?

Is there any tell tale way in the listed specs to know if a particular receiver can handle that?

I think any receiver with HDMI will do - the conversion from DSD to Hi-Res PCM happens within the player, and is then sent to receiver (at least that was the case with my Oppo 981).

Yes. It should say that it plays (not converts) DSD/SACD. You may have to look in the user's manual. N.B., if there is no mention at all, it is likely it will not.
I think any receiver with HDMI will do - the conversion from DSD to Hi-Res PCM happens within the player, and is then sent to receiver (at least that was the case with my Oppo 981).
I don't think that is the point. Yes, any modern SACD player can do that but some people want to keep it in DSD. Whether that is desirable or not is another discussion.

Also some A/V receivers allow you to raise or lower the volume of the surround speakers on the fly...some don't. If that is of interest to you, a call to each manufacturer would be in order.

My Yamaha RX2050 AVR can decode/play multichannel DSD as sent from a player such as the Oppo 103. The Oppo player has the option of decoding the DSD onboard (sending PCM to AVR via HDMI), or leaving the decoding to the AVR. I don't think all SACD players offer this option.

Back