Rain / thunder sounds in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horndynamics

I spend an hour or so everyday reading and I find that doing it with a low level rain/thunder track off Youtube (there are some nice real time ones that aren't loops or artificial, but real mic'ing) in our HT is a really nice way to do this. I'm wondering if there are any surround releases like this available? Thanks.

I have this which is pretty cool from the dts 5.1 days. There may be similar surround discs out there but nothing I can think of off the top my head besides this Brad Miller awesomeness.

SRUTS-dts.jpg

I have this which is pretty cool from the dts 5.1 days. There may be similar surround discs out there but nothing I can think of off the top my head besides this Brad Miller awesomeness.

View attachment 50005

Eric, I recall that DTS Entertainment did release a 3 DTS CD set called

- Soundscaped/FX "Movie Tracks". DTS Entertainment (3 CD's) MFI 4413

Mainly sound effects ......I should've bought it, but regretfully didn't.

Eric, I recall that DTS Entertainment did release a 3 DTS CD set called

- Soundscaped/FX "Movie Tracks". DTS Entertainment (3 CD's) MFI 4413

Mainly sound effects ......I should've bought it, but regretfully didn't.

Same here...this and many other dts discs I can still see on the shelf at Laserland now residing in my memories that I should have purchased.

My wife loves the ocean disc. I even put a stereo copy of it on her iPad so she can headphone up and listen to the ocean while I am blasting stuff during upmixing! She hates hearing the same song multiple times, which I always have to do to create and judge an upmix

Late reply but here's something I made using a Sony stereo pocket recorder last summer. I encoded it in Audacity (simple to do) using the parameters in Feldman's Four Channel Sound. The thing is it doesn't sound that bad on an actual EVX-4 decoder because the lack of separation hides the fact that it's two separate recordings. However when played back using my QRX-3500 the logic enhancement ruins it. It's too good with decoding! To my ears this is what quad's all about; no discrete sounds in separate speakers but rather an encapsulating sound field.

One of my personal ALL TIME FAVS from the Mystic Moods Orchestra originally on the Philips label. It is rumored to have a QUAD mix and I have petitioned Dutton Vocalion many times to try and find the QUAD analogue masters and release it as an SACD. All sound effects: roaring thunder, pounding rain and railroad sounds were expertly recorded by Brad Miller [of MoFi fame]. Gorgeous music, as well. Highly RECOMMENDED!

See the source image

https://www.amazon.com/Stormy-Night...ods+orchestra+one+stormy+night,aps,144&sr=8-1

One of my personal ALL TIME FAVS from the Mystic Moods Orchestra originally on the Philips label. It is rumored to have a QUAD mix and I have petitioned Dutton Vocalion many times to try and find the QUAD analogue masters and release it as an SACD. All sound effects: roaring thunder, pounding rain and railroad sounds were expertly recorded by Brad Miller [of MoFi fame]. Gorgeous music, as well. Highly RECOMMENDED!

See the source image

https://www.amazon.com/Stormy-Night...ods+orchestra+one+stormy+night,aps,144&sr=8-1
Slightly confused... this is sold by 5.1 marketing but is only 2.0 RBCD? Despite invoking the name of Brad Miller?

Slightly confused... this is sold by 5.1 marketing but is only 2.0 RBCD? Despite invoking the name of Brad Miller?

The original LP released in 1966 was a PHILIPS release. All I recall at the time is the gorgeous music, sound effects, etc. but a very scratchy oppressive pressing. It didn't surface on CD for a very long time and then the Mystic Moods franchise shifted to HDS who under the DTS~CD banner released some subsequent Mystic Moods DTS~CDs. Then again, in the mid 00's, the early Philips Mystic Moods records were released, remastered, under another label.

From reading Mark Anderson's rumored QUAD discography, it WAS stated that the Mystic Mood's Orchestra's One Stormy Night and their sophomore effort, Nighttide were both remixed into QUAD but AFAIK never released [probably akin to the Philips Classical QUAD masters which were never officially released, even on vinyl, until Pentatone released them as part of their RQR series as QUAD SACDs a few years ago].

Confusing, YES, but if you like Easy Listening PLUS music with an effective twist [i.e. well recorded sound effects], by all means try the One Stormy Night CD which is again available under the HDS banner .... and has been beautifully remastered for CD.

Last edited:
Back