Rarity: A couple of GOOD Silverline Titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
I just had to post this since it is such a rarity. I found not one but TWO really good Silverline/Sanctuary releases that that offer true multi-channel mixes and really good music (in my opinion anyway).

First up is Widespread Panic - "Don't Tell The Band". I've mentioned before how much I enjoy this band. They are really good and are certainly worth checking out. I would describe their music as Grateful Dead meets Bela Fleck. I was somewhat dissapointed with Silverline's release of "Ball" last year. It doesn't suffer from the usual fake surround problem, but the mix is not terribly engaging. "Don't Tell The Band" remedies that situation. The mix is fantastic and the music is exceptional.

Next up is Styx - "Cyclorama". I had written off Styx some time ago but this album really caught me by surprise. It ROCKS and the songwriting is very good! The surround mix is aggressive and very well executed. My only complaint is that the sound is very bright, harsh and "digital". Still, the music and mix offer enough compensation for me to recommend this one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Cai. I am of big fan of WP as well and while I liked "Ball" I too wasn't blown away by the mix. Glad to know "Don't tell..." is better and will now rush out to buy it. Have a big knee-jerk reaction to Styx, so that may take some time to work up to getting that.... but thanks for the imput!

Thanks for the reviews! That's the problem with Silverline though, their titles are so hit and miss. Glad these are good.

I'm very interested in the Styx DVD-A. I borrowed a friends' CD of this album awhile back and enjoyed it. The band still sounds fresh and is breaking some new ground. Definitely not just another retro act!

I finally picked up the new Styx DVD-A today and it's fantastic! Talk about making a great album even better with 5.1! By the way here's my theory on Silverline titles, if it's live or vintage than it's probably "Stunning" surround, but if it's a relatively new studio title than it's probably a real 5.1 mix!

Last edited:
The Styx "Cyclorama" DVD-A has a great surround mix. I really like this album too. It's a keeper!

I haven't heard any new Styx for a while. Dennis De Young is still off on his own, right? Is Tommy Shaw doing most ofthe writing?

texquad said:
By the way here's my theory on Silverline titles, if it's live or vintage than it's probably "Stunning" surround, but if it's a relatively new studio title than it's probably a real 5.1 mix!

I would tend to agree.

Back