RCA Q8 Ad from 1970

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Here's an old Billboard 2 page ad from sometime in 1970

Notice that these are RCA "quad-8" tapes, not Q8 tapes

Also notice that this is a mock-up, as there are no labels on the cartridges themselves. Oh yes, Sugar Sugar is on here!

OK. Who can name every tape? Are there any here that never came out?

If you have a modem, be prepared to wait for this page to load. It's big!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/rcaq8ad.htm

JonUrban said:
Here's an old Billboard 2 page ad from sometime in 1970

OK. Who can name every tape? Are there any here that never came out?

If you have a modem, be prepared to wait for this page to load. It's big!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/rcaq8ad.htm

i'm not too deep in q8 history, b ut from what i've seen on ebay in the last 4 years every tape of this ad has been released.

My memory isn't what it used to be, so I may be wrong, but here goes.
I'm not sure that its a mock up, as many of these early 'quad-8' tapes didn't have the graphics on the tape, only on the case, sort of like what Warner Bros did with some of their Q8s, just the song list. I have one of the old Nesmith Magnetic South 'quad-8' tapes and it looks like this. I note poor old Mike got left off this list, though. No respect!
Marc

Marcsten said:
My memory isn't what it used to be, so I may be wrong, but here goes.
I'm not sure that its a mock up, as many of these early 'quad-8' tapes didn't have the graphics on the tape, only on the case, sort of like what Warner Bros did with some of their Q8s, just the song list. I have one of the old Nesmith Magnetic South 'quad-8' tapes and it looks like this. I note poor old Mike got left off this list, though. No respect!
Marc

Partially correct: these old RCA carts used to have the song list, but also the title on the spine. I'm in favor of the mock up.

I would guess late 1970, as I recall, the Guess Who's "Share The Land" came out in October that year.

I suspect this ad was prepared at the very very end of 1970 or beginning of 1971 for their dealers. I'll never forget a separate glassed off sound room with a Fisher combination Q8 player / rear channel add-on amp coupled with a big stereo Fisher receiver and four speakers in the corners of a perfect rectangle shape.

I was 13 and set about trying to simulate some of this effect with 2 stereos and lots of tone control manipulation and differentiation!

Less than six months after the retail debut of Quad 8, UK audio manufacturer Quad Electronics got a cease and decist order on the name issue, which caused RCA to re-brand all the cartridges as Q8 releases.

Last edited:
Nick Perugini would like to know if anyone has ever seen the "South Pacific" Q8 pictured in the lower right section in the bottom row......?

JonUrban said:
Nick Perugini would like to know if anyone has ever seen the "South Pacific" Q8 pictured in the lower right section in the bottom row......?

I have NEVER seen the "Sugar, Sugar" Q8, I've only seen the one Gerardo had up for auction a few months ago and he said it was a copy/bootleg.

Q-Eight said:
I have NEVER seen the "Sugar, Sugar" Q8, I've only seen the one Gerardo had up for auction a few months ago and he said it was a copy/bootleg.

It showed a couple of times on Ebay in the last three years, and went for outrageous prices... i saved a jpg of it somewhere.

I've often wondered what happened to the millions of tons of discarded Q8 tape that used to cover the road sides.

JonUrban said:

According to Mark Anderson's Quadraphonic Discography Movie Soundtracks and Original Cast 11-23-2000 VERSION 1.0 "South Pacific (Original Soundtrack). RCA OQ8-1003 (Q8) {This title was announced as being released in Quad, but was not}" In what format was the picture released? I have the album and videocassette.

From the ad, a bit closer:

Attachments

• sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 141
JonUrban said:
From the ad, a bit closer:

I See it I wish I had it! The living stereo version is GREAT and sounds great in SQ as do many living stereo, some I find sound better in DPL in a trifield mode>

atrocity said:
The film was released in Todd-AO: 70mm prints with five channels behind the screen and mono surround.

how does that translate on DVD. Anyone have it?

fdrennen said:
how does that translate on DVD. Anyone have it?

The DVD alleges a 5.1 soundtrack, but since that would not be true to the original mix, it's hard to guess what that really means. I don't have a copy myself and can't report from personal experience.

The most accurate approach would be to combine the front five channels into three and leave the mono surround as is. But sometimes the people making the videos will remove a lot of the obvious directional dialog in the belief that it's "distracting".

Back