Rears or front heights for pre-Atmos 7.1 setup?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somethingcleveridunno

Steven Wilson 5.1 mix of "Plastic Love" when?
QQ Supporter
My receiver has the option of running the extra channels over 5.1 as either front heights or rears. I always thought you put the extra pair of speakers in the rear and there wasn't really an argument. But I'm listening through the 8-channel content I've got on my PC, ripped from Atmos blu-ray releases, and I'm now scratching my head wondering if I'm doing this right. I think Kick by INXS wants the rears, like the staccato guitar picking in "I Need You Tonight" reinforcing the same in the surrounds. But on Let it Be, it definitely sounds like those channels should be reinforcing the fronts, they just disappear in the rear.

Movies and games seem to really want to use the rears. Windows doesn't even have an option for front heights when configuring my receiver.

Is there a right or wrong way to do this? Or do I just need to mount height speakers while keeping the rears, and get used to switching between them based on content?

Last edited:
I started off with rear heights (previous owner generously had them already in the ceiling 8')).

Tower wides, though! I prefer wides over heights, anyday, and when I finally added them to my Dolby Atmos system (which already had front heights) it really made a difference. Depending on your current system, do wides in front instead of front heights, but rear heights. Gives it a lot of depth! The room makes a big difference, though, lol.

I would recommend this in order of priority when upgrading 5.1 to Atmos:
1. 4 x ceiling speakers for better 3D sound field (this also gives added front stage presence) - 5.1.4
2. add rears - 7.1.4
3. add wide fronts (Most mixes do not specifically target front wides)

EDIT: If you can only go to 8 channels I’d recommend 5.1.2 with the ceiling speakers directly above the listening position and set to Top Centre (Left and Right) in your AVR setup so all height info is sent to those two speakers.

Last edited:
The room is deep, but not very wide, my mains are as wide as I can go.
photo_2023-08-10_21-06-29.jpg

When budget allows, but I've been holding off until I find 11 or 13 channels at a bargain price.
I'm not sure what you consider bargain priced, but you can get an used 9.2 AVR with the latest version of Audyssey for $400-$500 if you shop around a bit.

Most 9.2 AVR's will support 11 channels with an additional external amp.

Last edited:
Most definitely when having a choice of only two heights, go rears first.
Reason:
Many ATMOS mixes that have weak Atmos signals in the heights, what does come through the most is the rear heights.
I do not know why, maybe a choice of many that are professional at doing ATMOS mixes?
Also, your front sound stage will always be where the main sonics/power comes from, so adding front heights with no rear heights, is just adding too much power at the front end.
As you have already noticed with KICK and LET IT BE, everything is different, nothing stays the same, therefore as you said, you'll get a couple more speakers later when you can.
Good luck.

If you're running 5.1.2, the height speakers - regardless of whether they're placed upfront or behind - are treated as "top middle" channels and get the content of all four height channels summed to stereo. So the best option would be to place them directly above the main listening position (between front & rear), otherwise you'll inevitably be hearing things mean to come from behind upfront and vice versa.

EDIT: If you can only go to 8 channels I’d recommend 5.1.2 with the ceiling speakers directly above the listening position and set to Top Centre (Left and Right) in your AVR setup so all height info is sent to those two speakers.

Thanks for that tip, I did not know it was a possibility. Sure enough my NAD has that option. Wonder what I have been missing?

Back