RIP Bob Koester

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Founder of Delmark Records and longtime owner of the legendary Jazz Record Mart. (The first record I ever bought there, ca. 1981: a cutout 2-LP collection of Lennie Tristano's Atlantic recordings, Requiem, engineered by Tom Dowd.) Condolences, @Clement and all other Chicagoland QQ'ers.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/5...r-jazz-record-mart-delmark-records-obituariesThere are at least a handful of 5.1 DVDs on Delmark, by the way--three that I know of are live performances by Kahil El'Zabar and Fred Anderson (x2).

Last edited:
Have been meaning to log on and comment on this.

In the early 70's, I discovered Jazz Record Mart. I usually dealt with the lovable curmudgeon who owned the place, Bob Koester. They were on State & Grand back then. I had frequented all his locations in Chicago, but not his first attempt in St. Louis.

Bob later opened a second store on Lincoln Ave, downstairs of his flat. We lived a few blocks apart. He and I became friendly acquaintances.

One year, we went to Jazz Fest together. Jazz columnist Howard Reich was sitting behind us. So, there was some lively conversation in between acts.

Bob was always one to "tell it like it is." Needless to say, he was most knowledgeable about both blues and jazz.

I always loved his updates about compitalions and unreleased tracks from the majors. Or his declarations, "I just bought the masters of a blues label." The inside track. His new discoveries like Reginald Robinson, the young ragtime pianlist, were usually something special.

Bob sold Jazz Record Mart store and Delmark label to a 40-ish couple a couple years ago. I haven't visited since they took over, but I will...

You can bet Bob is in the part of heaven where jazz is played. They'll find his curmudgeonlyness delightful!

..."I must be a nut, recording for Delmark records and Bob Koester..." - Roosevelt Sykes, from his post song banter on his track "I'm a nut."

RIP

Last edited:
Back