RIP - Lou Reed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time is catching up - to ALL of us! :(

Time to fire up the "Songs for Survivors" DVD-A track "We Lost Another One"

A friend just called me up with the news. Of course I find it posted here :eek:

I was lucky enough to see Lou in concert in the 70's. Opening for him as a last minute substitution was the newly reconstituted Love with Arthur Lee, also gone now. As my friend and I discussed, I wonder how many people in that audience are still around now.......:(

First posted this at Mr. Hoffman's place, first impressions, got home to read the news:

I'm not surprised...the most recent photo I'd seen of him was pretty rough, though you always hope a situation isn't as bad as it looks. Anyway, what is there to say? A body of work at once remarkable and strange, vivid yet oblique, sincere, mocking, haunting...and along the way at least one anthem to the music ("Rock and Roll"), one to smack ("Heroin"), one to the tired ("Pale Blue Eyes") and even songs of liberation ("Beginning to See the Light" and--dare I say it--the amazing "I Heard Her Call My Name").

Lou could be a poet, and some of his best songs evocative, even poignant. But what I'll always take with me was the joyful, screeching noise he made on those early VU albums, the kind of music that had more personal than cultural impact. I can't think of anyone else this side of Little Richard or Jerry Lee Lewis that had the potential to bother parents more, and he did it all with sound. If my mother's ears were bothered by the bass playing at Motown, she would have freaked out had she known what I was listening to on my old Koss cans when she was asleep or out of the house. That's when the volume went up and Lou and the Velvets came screaming down. Yet the gentleness of some of that music (even if it's debatable what some of it ultimately meant--Lou didn't mind being obscure, probably pleased him) belied its honesty and its author's intelligence.

He was a willful bugger, too. Few have made albums as bummed as BERLIN or as blatantly anti-music as METAL MACHINE, which I still think was designed to piss off RCA as much as he enjoyed doing it just to defy anyone's expectations of what he should (or could) be. He came up with a fascinating symphony of songs, STREET HASSLE, and over the years consistently came up with compelling, interesting work. And of course his influence on so many artists and fans is obvious.

He broke out of the life most of us wound up with, did it his way as much as he could and, if he is famous only to us, that's fine. He outlived Elvis by almost 30, and given some of the crap he must have messed with over the years, I'd say he did pretty well. Whether or not he will rest in peace or not is another matter beyond my scope, except to say I'm not sure I want to, either. How much peace does any rocker-at-heart really want?

ED :)

We are becoming the ones we loved the most-our gandparents I'm well on my way with a 2 yr old grandaughter.

Its the circle of life (baby!) as Sir Elt kinda said/sang! ;) :p

Seriously.. Very sad to hear about Lou Reed's passing. Another legend lost.

I remember the huge fanfare of the BBC's Children In Need appeal charity single of "Perfect Day" back in '97.. David Bowie, Bono, Elton, Emmylou Harris, Dr.John, Tammy Wynette, all the big guns were lining up to do it, that was the pulling power of the man.

May he rest in peace.

Just put the headphones on to listen to the album "New York" from 1989 as I haven't listened to it in ages.

Hi, Pablo! :smokin

Y'know, freedom is (in the mind) relative but obvious (in reality). Just the idea that a guy like Lou, whose words during his VU years often had (if not freedom) liberation and exploration as subtexts, should inspire others, is fascinating to an American like me who grew up being taught the concepts of Liberty and Freedom, and then, later, exploring what Communism (Russia, Cuba) were, what was repression, and later still, darker things. I think the third album (self-titled, 1969, MGM), was that album of personal liberation for Lou Reed, and you can feel it in every track except the last one (where it's revealed that of course the best way to freedom, it would seem, is to lock yourself away from all the outside influences that were poisoning you. Typical, and not reassuring, but then, just being honest). What else can we make out of "I'm Set Free" ('to find a new illusion') or "Beginning to See the Light" (Lou sings so gladly it's as if he were on a perpetual high). And the early guitar fire heard on VU & NICO and WL/WH remains the kind of sound that seems in its own place, blaring and so alive.

And yes, some lives were saved (or more accurately, sustained) with a sound that made everything around them more bearable (knowing that once home again, the sound would be back). Today, with everything so small and digital, that we are fostering a future generation of cocooned, hermetic souls--but without words and voices like Lou Reed's, John Lennon's, Jimi Hendrix's, even a Jim Morrison--the kind who could provoke and illuminate our sense of the possibilities of being alive, and of the consequences and triumphs in taking a chance in the idea of how far one could go with dreams and music, and get lucky enough for a piece of vinyl to then carry that message to the world.

ED :)

Hi, Pablo! :smokin

Hello. Ed!

And yes, some lives were saved (or more accurately, sustained) with a sound that made everything around them more bearable (knowing that once home again, the sound would be back). Today, with everything so small and digital, that we are fostering a future generation of cocooned, hermetic souls--but without words and voices like Lou Reed's, John Lennon's, Jimi Hendrix's, even a Jim Morrison--the kind who could provoke and illuminate our sense of the possibilities of being alive, and of the consequences and triumphs in taking a chance in the idea of how far one could go with dreams and music, and get lucky enough for a piece of vinyl to then carry that message to the world.
So beautifully put.

These days I'm almost sure that a strong personality, including how art, artists and experiences (specially pleasure and emotion) affect you as just an individual, is the path to avoid identity deficits, which I fear is the root of many of the evils of the leisure era. It's been a while since I last got goosebumps from music but I get teary eyes a lot now. Maybe it's an ageing thing.

Thanks, Ed!

Extra: How the Beatles Rocked the Kremlin

Back