RIP Tommy Smothers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when my dad showed me something from them on TV when I was a kid. And I remember sharing something from them with my daughter when she was young. She got the same joy that I had for them and that my father had for them.

A loss to generations of fans.

I remember when my dad showed me something from them on TV when I was a kid. And I remember sharing something from them with my daughter when she was young. She got the same joy that I had for them and that my father had for them.

A loss to generations of fans.
I had the EXACT same experience: from my father through me to my daughter! Return In Power, Tommy!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I got drafted about the time their show started, so I was off TV for most of the time it was on. I didn’t necessarily agree with all their politics, but they could deliver a gut punch and make younlaugh anyway.

One more great talent that we only get to remember any more.

LOVED their weekly show and likewise was bummed out when it was canceled. But they were also great musicians in their own right and this is a FAV

The Smothers Brothers Play It Straight by The Smothers Brothers on ...

Of course the Smothers began as a folk act before they found their true metier: satirizing a folk act. The Times obit quotes Tommy about how their schtick "slowly evolved to be a running argument two brothers who sang but never finished a song." According to a contemporary review, Tommy performed like "a frightened 10th grader giving a memorized talk at a Kiwanis meeting . . . He speaks in a nervous, distracted sort of cretin double-talk that has him stumbling over big words, muffing lines with naive unconcern, singing off-key, committing malapropisms, garbling lyrics and eternally upstaging his younger brother."

Steve Martin, Rob Reiner, and Elaine May were among their show's writers; The Who and Jefferson Airplane among the musical guests. One final paragaph from the Times: "The brothers looked like clean-cut collegians, but their cheery, up-tempo songs could bite. 'The war in Vietnam keeps on a-ragin,' one began. 'Black(s) and whites still haven't worked it out./Pollution, guns and poverty surround us./No wonder everybody's droppin' out.'"

Last edited:
Back