R.I.P. Chad Allan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par4ken

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just read about this in another thread Guess who? .... no, really, Guess Who......
Thank you JohnN

I thought that it deserves it's own thread. Chad Allan founding member of the Guess Who died at age 80.
His band Chad Allan and the Expressions put out a record "Shakin all Over" without their name on it just "Guess Who?" That "name" stuck.
He formed "Brave Belt" along with Randy Bachman but left as they evolved into Bachman Turner Overdrive.
I still remember him from the after school TV show Music Hop on CBC in the sixties.

https://www.pugetsoundradio.com/2023/12/01/chad-allan-of-chad-allan-and-the-expressions-has-died/

Last edited:
I recall Shakin' All Over on AM radio in '65 as a pre-teen recently turned on to rock.
Wild stuff, more than held it's own with the best British invasion / garage band stuff of the time.

Great story from the linked article about how it was recorded in true garage band mono with all the instruments plugged in to one Fender amp. 🎸

I hadn't heard it in decades, seems it didn't get into rotation on oldies format radio around here.
Listening again, even better than I remembered, vintage photos of the band on this vid:

Back