Rush's "Moving Pictures" album in Blu-ray surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaneelOlivaw

300 Club - QQ All-Star
From Richard Chycki's own blog, the engineer who handled the 5.1 remix:

......I’ve been in the studio for last month remixing the original Moving Pictures CD in 5.1 surround. I finished tweaks on Red Barchetta yesterday......(The car speeds off, goes behind and banks a sharp right in rear BTW). The listening experience is drastically enveloping........
Awesome! :smokin(y):sun

Rush is the first band I really got into as a teenager and I will be buying this and I don't even own a Blu-ray player yet!

BTW on another site it was reported there will be a BD+CD set and a BD+dvd set. Maybe the dvd will be just Dolby and DTS for those with conventional players?

Off-topic factoid for those who can't stand overcompressed rock recordings (count me in on that!). In another entry he says he will be remixing the Vapor Trails album, one of the first albums that made music fans aware of how badly overcompression can ruin an album:

A while back, I re-mixed One Little Victory and Earthshine from Rush’s 2002 release ‘Vapor Trails’ to be included on their 2009 release ‘Retrospective 3′. The re-mixes were very well-received so the band has decided to let me move ahead and re-mix the remainder of the CD........As well, the same technical tweaks will continue for the remaining songs and I still will not have a buss limiter on the mix set to stun.
The bolded portion is mine and I think that means compression will be used in proper amounts...I hope.

All this complaining (including myself) about no surround releases of POPULAR and HIGH QUALITY rock music in a high resolution format, and 47 views and not one comment?!

If I was a label owner who handled rock & pop music that more than 10 people have heard of and saw this kind of attitude, I would have very little desire to invest in surround music.

Well I'll say it then: whatever label has invested in this title, I thank you for your trouble and appreciate the investment you made. And obviously, kudos to Rush for approving this (y) and kudos to Richard Chycki and to anyone else who worked on the mix itself.

And btw Music Tap had this to say:
The schedule now lists it for April 5 with two available packages including a CD/DVD set, and a CD/BD set.
Maybe that dvd will contain Dolby and DTS mixes for use on conventional players, so you could take it with you to a buddy's home with no BD player or use it in a mobile surround system.

All this complaining (including myself) about no surround releases of POPULAR and HIGH QUALITY rock music in a high resolution format, and 47 views and not one comment?!

If I was a label owner who handled rock & pop music that more than 10 people have heard of and saw this kind of attitude, I would have very little desire to invest in surround music.

Well I'll say it then: whatever label has invested in this title, I thank you for your trouble and appreciate the investment you made. And obviously, kudos to Rush for approving this (y) and kudos to Richard Chycki and to anyone else who worked on the mix itself.

And btw Music Tap had this to say:Maybe that dvd will contain Dolby and DTS mixes for use on conventional players, so you could take it with you to a buddy's home with no BD player or use it in a mobile surround system.

You're a little late to the party on this one. We've been talking about this for awhile over here https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?14080-RUSH-Moving-Pictures-reissue&highlight=rush

Thanks Elmer.

I saw Guy Robinson's post about this in the Blu-ray subforum but no one had said anything there either :( plus there are so many similar subforums here - sorry Jon! - that I didn't think to look in the rumors subforum (especially since there is a definite date for the release and the engineer admitted he created the mixes i.e. this is an actual title rather just a rumor).

Thanks Elmer.

I saw Guy Robinson's post about this in the Blu-ray subforum but no one had said anything there either :( plus there are so many similar subforums here - sorry Jon! - that I didn't think to look in the rumors subforum (especially since there is a definite date for the release and the engineer admitted he created the mixes i.e. this is an actual title rather just a rumor).

We all share the passion and I have on more than one occasion chided the membership here for a lack of response - however, before said chiding, I always do a quick check in the "advanced search" at the top of this section - it has saved me from myself many times - but no worries - it's all good - new surround coming - Yaaaay!

Back