SACD via Sony X800M2-->Sony A80J OLED (via HDMI)-->Sonos Arc/Sub/Amp (via HDMI eArc)...How?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmatich

I have a similar thread going over on the Sonos boards, but wanted to see if anyone has grappled with this yet.

Thanks to @ForagingRhino, I have discovered the wonders of 5.1/Quad/Atmos music remixes, and have had no issues with Blu-Ray or DVD-A (and the experience is heavenly). However, SACD 5.1 is only getting to the TV (where it's possible to listen on the internal speakers), but isn't passing through to the Sonos Arc, so the resulting sound is "silence". Experimental attempts to go direct to the Arc have also been unsuccessful, but it wouldn't have made sense given what little I know about the conversions involved.

The signal path is as listed above, but I haven't found a setting between the player and TV that allows the 5.1 SACD layer to pass through to the Sonos. Sonos maintains that it is compatible (since early last year), and a couple users over there have claimed success, but my attempts to duplicate have so far been unsuccessful.

Has anyone over here found success with SACD via Sonos? How did you do it? I would hate to be shut out of this segment of recordings...

Thanks.

I can confirm that passthrough of Sacd 5.1 through my Tv to denon AV receiver was unsucsessful. Directly connecting to the receiver worked as a charm, however. Make sure that the Sony does not output the signal as DSD (Sonos likely cannot cope with that). how do you connect the player to your sonos?

I can confirm that passthrough of Sacd 5.1 through my Tv to denon AV receiver was unsucsessful. Directly connecting to the receiver worked as a charm, however. Make sure that the Sony does not output the signal as DSD (Sonos likely cannot cope with that). how do you connect the player to your sonos?
The player connects to the Sonos via HDMI to the TV, then HDMI eARC from the TV to the Arc.

If I were to send the player to a receiver via another output, would I then use a Sonos line in to connect the receiver back into the Sonos?

The player connects to the Sonos via HDMI to the TV, then HDMI eARC from the TV to the Arc.

If I were to send the player to a receiver via another output, would I then use a Sonos line in to connect the receiver back into the Sonos?
i don't think that would work. I do not have a sonos myself, so would not know what to do, to be honest. If you connect the Sony to the Sonos directly, also no luck?

Since the Sony Player has 2 HDMI outputs (one is audio only, normally covered by a label when new) how about connecting the audio HDMI to the Sonos and the other one to the TV?

Since the Sony Player has 2 HDMI outputs (one is audio only, normally covered by a label when new) how about connecting the audio HDMI to the Sonos and the other one to the TV?
If I’m understanding you correctly, wouldn’t that take my Apple TV (and source for my streaming entertainment) out of the loop, as that one is successfully passing through the TV?

Talked with Sonos last night…they say they’re going to have engineering take a look; they asked for the pertinent Community threads to assist them.

If I’m understanding you correctly, wouldn’t that take my Apple TV (and source for my streaming entertainment) out of the loop, as that one is successfully passing through the TV?

Talked with Sonos last night…they say they’re going to have engineering take a look; they asked for the pertinent Community threads to assist them.
I am not sure, cause you will have two connections, one to the TV, one to the Sonos Bar. Just try it out, it's just a guess from my side.

Just-so-you-know...

If all your devices are connected to your Sony TV including your Sony Blu-ray player, there is no way your television is able to pass a dsd bit-stream to your Sonos via eARC. No television can do this!
Agree. But according to the Blu-Ray documentation, it's able to convert a DSD to PCM (or LPCM), but doesn't seem to work with all the settings I've tried.

Agree. But according to the Blu-Ray documentation, it's able to convert a DSD to PCM (or LPCM), but doesn't seem to work with all the settings I've tried.
I think eARC is limited to compressed (lossy or lossless, unlike the original ARC) surround sound formats. Uncompressed LPCM surround will not be passed. Does the Sonos have multiple HDMI inputs, or just one?

Back