ATMOS Streaming Difficulties: Android TVs and Others

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Disney+ audio saga continues: Not only does Android TV Version 9 not support Atmos on Disney+, but apparently the most it will now give me with the app is STEREO. No more 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus. I was on live chat with Disney+ for over an hour this evening. Customer support had me go through a whole complicated procedure to 'fix' the problem but it didn't work. It's very weird because the Disney+ movie descriptions still show that 5.1 is available, which means that the audio should stream in 5.1.

Anyone else having this issue?

Paramount+ and Netflix still stream in 5.1.

The Disney+ audio saga continues: Not only does Android TV Version 9 not support Atmos on Disney+, but apparently the most it will now give me with the app is STEREO. No more 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus. I was on live chat with Disney+ for over an hour this evening. Customer support had me go through a whole complicated procedure to 'fix' the problem but it didn't work. It's very weird because the Disney+ movie descriptions still show that 5.1 is available, which means that the audio should stream in 5.1.

Anyone else having this issue?

Paramount+ and Netflix still stream in 5.1.
Yes, I have the issue too. I've never been able to stream even standard 5.1 from my Sony's Disney+ app. Netflix & AppleTV+ stream Atmos content just fine to my Sony Bravia TV but Disney+ never streams in anything except stereo; ...the exception is if I use my nVidia Shield's Disney+ app, ..then it works. So it's not an Android problem but an Android TVOS issue. I don't think there's a fix, I gave up trying to fix it over a year ago. The issue has to be with how Disney+ created it's apps for AndroidTVs, ...because Netflix & AppleTV+ have no issues streaming Atmos to it.

Yes, I have the issue too. I've never been able to stream even standard 5.1 from my Sony's Disney+ app. Netflix & AppleTV+ stream Atmos content just fine to my Sony Bravia TV but Disney+ never streams in anything except stereo; ...the exception is if I use my nVidia Shield's Disney+ app, ..then it works. So it's not an Android problem but an Android TVOS issue. I don't think there's a fix, I gave up trying to fix it over a year ago. The issue has to be with how Disney+ created it's apps for AndroidTVs, ...because Netflix & AppleTV+ have no issues streaming Atmos to it.

So I guess my solution would be to shell out $150 for an Apple TV 4k streamer; which means yet another box with cables and yet another remote. Or better yet, just cancel the subscription.

I should add that we watched the Avatar water movie upmixed to 7.4.1 using Dolby Surround. It was quite enjoyable, although the effects pretty much stayed front center with the music all around.

So I guess my solution would be to shell out $150 for an Apple TV 4k streamer; which means yet another box with cables and yet another remote. Or better yet, just cancel the subscription.

Couldn't you use a streaming stick (Like Roku or Fire) connected directly to your AVR and then the TV doesn't really matter?

I should add that we watched the Avatar water movie upmixed to 7.4.1 using Dolby Surround. It was quite enjoyable, although the effects pretty much stayed front center with the music all around.
This what I do to, …when I don’t feel like firing up my nVidia shield, I just use my receiver’s UPmixing options.

This what I do to, …when I don’t feel like firing up my nVidia shield, I just use my receiver’s UPmixing options.
I’m laughing now because I‘m the black sheep who doesn’t like to watch movies in surround because I often find the effects flying all around distracting. (The opposite of those who like movies in surround but not music.)

I might actually prefer stereo upmixed with DS as both my wife and I find it less distracting and the dialog is clearer.

Back