[SOLVED] Sony UBP-X800m2 - playing lossless Atmos from files (USB)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For muxing content into a 'transport' [.ts or .m2ts] container, I recommend you use one of the newer 'open source' builds of TSmuxer GUI.

Also, for anybody muxing Dolby TrueHD audio into the .m2ts container you will need to include a mandatory (lossy) Dolby Digital core.
You nailed it! I just did not see it.

The problem was different for each case:
- For my own Atmos encoded sample, the AC3 core is not generated at all. I have to investigate how to do it.
- For the Blu-Ray sample, I was using an MKV as an intermediate step. The AC3 core is stored as a different track when using the MKV container and it is not recombined when remuxing into m2ts.

So, for my original question, this is solved: The Sony UBP-x800m2 can play Atmos from a USB drive as long as it is stored in a .m2ts container and the TrueHD track includes an AC3 core.

I will get some mp4 Atmos files from Immersive Audio Album and see what is in there and if I can generate and mux an AC3 core there if they do not have it.

Last edited:
I have both the Sony 800M2 and the Zidoo Z9X. The Z9X is my main go-to for local file (movie and immersive music, mostly via MKVs) playback, but there is one format the Z9X fails at....embedded FLAC Auro-3D playback. So I use the USB input on my Sony for that (and for all movie BD disc playback, of course). However, as per above, the Sony will not play Atmos MKVs (no big deal for me cuz the Z9X does) so I occasionally play Atmos via .m2ts files.

What's the current situation with gapless play of MCH/Atmos with Z9X Pro? Has it improved meanwhile?
No idea I'm afraid. I only have the previous Z9X and from the Zidoo forum posts on the Z9X Pro, it's a bugfest so I'd avoid purchasing one and try one of these: Dune HD Real Vision 4K Plus Sold out at the moment unfortunately but you may be able to pick one up elsewhere. I emailed Dune about it a while ago and it allegedly plays 4.0 and 5.1 FLACs gaplessly.

No idea I'm afraid. I only have the previous Z9X and from the Zidoo forum posts on the Z9X Pro, it's a bugfest so I'd avoid purchasing one and try one of these: Dune HD Real Vision 4K Plus Sold out at the moment unfortunately but you may be able to pick one up elsewhere. I emailed Dune about it a while ago and it allegedly plays 4.0 and 5.1 FLACs gaplessly.
There is also a new model coming, Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus, based on a new Amlogic chip which now also supports pass-through not only for DTHD/Atmos but also DTS-HD/X.

There is also a new model coming, Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus, based on a new Amlogic chip which now also supports pass-through not only for DTHD/Atmos but also DTS-HD/X.
Cool.

Lots of RAM so hopefully it'll get around any of the occasional Dolby Vision freezes on the Zidoo Z9X.

Be interesting to see a Dolby Vision Full Enhancement Layer too as I've never seen one and very few if any other media players can use the FEL. Dolby Vision MKV's sure have a load of extra metadata that takes up a ton of space so be good to see if DV is actually worth it.

I've added myself to the notification list so once all the early adopters have confirmed it behaves itself, I might cough up.

Thanks for posting.

Back