Will Plex play a multichannel MKA file in the Music folder? I can't get this to work.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triple_vee

I bought the Pink Floyd DSOM Blu-Ray remixed with Atmos. It plays fine on my blu-ray player and the ripped MKV plays fine through the Movies folder...passing through the TrueHD 7.1 Atmos to my Nvidia Shield...although it displays the static pyramid/rainbow album cover on my TV.

I used mkvtoolnix to just extract the audio, which produces an MKA file, which mediainfo recognizes as a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 with Atmos. However, Plex doesn't seem to recognize the file when I put it in my Music folder. I'm guessing this won't work.

I'm not sure about Plex but in Kodi the tagging support for MKA is extremely limited - I convert all my .mka's to .m4a using @HomerJAU 's Music Media Helper (thread here) and it solves all my problems. .m4a has full tagging support and is more widely supported and you lose nothing in terms of data since it's just a container/format change.

I'm not sure about Plex but in Kodi the tagging support for MKA is extremely limited - I convert all my .mka's to .m4a using @HomerJAU 's Music Media Helper (thread here) and it solves all my problems. .m4a has full tagging support and is more widely supported and you lose nothing in terms of data since it's just a container/format change.
Awesome, I have that tool on my mac. Thanks for the tip!

But in the moment when you convert to individual m4a files you will lose gapless play, don't you?

Splitting any file with an Atmos stream loses gapless playback but there’s only a handful of releases that require gapless. Pink Floyd DSOTM, Abbey Road etc

Back