Satch Surfing Surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tim!
I was thinking about Satch's tour locations near me, and started wondering why he'd choose a much smaller area like Stockton over Sacramento?
Do artists favor

In most cases where an artist plays can be almost nothing to do with them. It can work in a variety of different ways but typically the artist makes it known they intend to tour and offers are received from promoters - promoters are a vital element because their role is to promote the show (obviously) but they also share the risk. A promoter will usually guarantee the artist a certain amount / fee, and often then a further amount depending on ticket sales.

So when we see a tour schedule and the question is asked - Why didn’t you play in <my town> the answer could be:

- We couldn’t get a good enough (or any) offer from a promoter.
- Tour routing meant playing in <xxx> wasn’t viable.

Understandably promoters are very risk averse, more so post lockdown etc, and even without that they would generally favour artists who have a proven track record in that place.

He mentions working with the guy who mixed King Kong. That movie uses the side (rear) channels like no other movie I have heard (seen). It is always active.

No mastering needed for Atmos is another interesting tid bit. Makes sense considering you no longer have to squeeze 24+ tracks into two channels. Every channel has plenty of room to breathe, rather than adding needless compression and limiting. If the mixing engineer knows what he is doing, having someone else come in to master it is redundant. Great interview!

Last edited:
The Sound and Vision interview only mentioned Apple Music, will this be available to purchase on physical media? I looked in iTunes and don't see any new Surfing with the Alien listings there, just the original and remaster. Does that mean it won't even be available via iTunes?

Back