Schiit Audio has a surround synthesizer gadget.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok first the nonsense starts with:

"Syn isn’t like any other surround processor."

and then:

"it’s really no different than the old Hafler matrix idea, which derives L+R and L-R from any stereo signal."

Gimme a break. How can it be unlike any other surround processor if it's based on the Hafler Matrix concept. Perhaps they mean a secret sauce of tweaks makes it different. There's more than a few oldie quad type decoders in the day for playing stereo into surround. They also had width & depth controls which allowed them to be flexible in playback meaning they didn't need to subscribe to a particular system just twiddle knobs till it sounds right.

I don't think we will find out more how it works until an independent review is done on it. Until then it's just so much fluff on their website.

It differs from my pre-synth because it looks like the Schit just has adjustments for decoding coefficients. And the method (actually Sansui's) is based on given known decoder scheme that alters the phase balance into the decoder.

Edit: A shout out to @chucky3042 whatcha think of this gizmo?
Chucky responds: It's PURE SCH**T!

I too can vouch for Schiit. They make good… well… Schiit. The Fulla 2 was my desktop DAC/Amp for a while until I just upgraded to a SMSL C200 recently, and a Magni 2 Uber is part of my Turntable Setup (AT LP120 -> Art DJ Pro II Preamp -> Magni 2 Uber (out to headphones or) -> Audio Engine A2+).

They look good, sound good, and have never caused me any problems.

Personally I'm not a fan of up-mixers....

I'm more interested in the upcoming miniDSP Flex HT.
Thanks for that. You're right, the miniDSP Flex HT is far more interesting. I also did not know about WISA. I've been dreaming of a wireless atmos solution with discrete ceiling speakers and this might do it for 5.1.2 anyway.

I've been scouring the web... Youtube videos on it, make me laugh. Many are excited, Many incensed or angry, mostly over the lack of Dolby/DTS decoding and HDMI. Too funny. It's not limited to folks here. Its causing exactly what I suspect the folks at Schiit were hoping for. A thoughtful discussion and examination about what this is and hopefully what it represents, followed by placing an order... I especially liked comments about a Schiit April fools joke... hope its not the case! Ha

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...it-syn-analog-surround-sound-processor.43434/
To me this is great news. Its the best sign yet of the potential for a second coming of Quadraphonic Vinyl. Sorry Involve Audio. I respect what you did. I bought a decoder. It's a fine DSP solution, but not what I'm looking for. I will say, Involve is certainly worthy of wide acceptance by consumer product makers, unfortunately that's not a level playing field right now, and we get stuck with music only playable on solutions from Dolby & DTS.

Schiit never mentions quad at all in marketing of the SYN. Instead, focusing on 5.1 analog surround. No mention of SQ, QS, EV, etc... They never specifically call it a matrix decoder, rather a circuit. So, I'm presuming the center channel is summing Front L&R and simple analog bass management for SW???

It's brand new. I'm ordering one today because Schiit just told the world, that a Dolby/DTS is limited and their recording label overlords are collusively steering and controlling access like a cartel. They are exposed and called out. Both are manipulating their marketplaces and many of us want it opened to other competitive solutions.

My current streaming setup is Wiim Pro via Toslink to Musiland MD-10, then analog to KingRex Preamp then to Electrovoice EVX-44 Decoder on to two KingRex T20's power amps with attenuators. Speakers Front AR-302's and Rear Klipsch KP250 II. It works great. Fair degree of control... but the SYN... Ohm my...

The message back to the record labels. Vinyl sales came back, turntables are now everywhere... now Schiit shipped a consumer surround preamp? BTW... Schiit's flair for organic marketing genius... Wow Dear Mr. Record label head... please start the re-pressing new copies of Quad recordings... the marketplace has created new low-cost consumer electronics to ensure volume sales of your vinyl... and this unit does digital streaming as well, just in case the label is still worried...

So how does the Quad Vinyl sound through the box?... I don't know yet and its driving me crazy... no one seems to be talking about SQ & QS vinyl here, elsewhere on the web, in the videos.. its like Quad vinyl doesn't exist... they do mention the Hafler circuit... what kinda surround did they think they were talking about? Dolby was still making tape noise reduction gear when the last decoders were made !

When a successful unit shows up in the market. Its usually followed by cheap copies on Ebay... JK Its usually followed by others. The SYN page is a Schiit manifesto of complaint. The folks from Schiit are now my people. Too much control on format being exerted by the record labels themselves... why we now have Dolby ATMOS mixes... More DSP's, more IC's, more speakers... its a formula... its all fun... because good Taylor Swift recordings need ceiling speakers !

Anyone tried Quad Vinyl with it yet?

To me this is great news. Its the best sign yet of the potential for a second coming of Quadraphonic Vinyl.
Amen, that's exactly what I was thinking. It's just another sign that surround sound is popular
again. Anything that tweaks the public interest is a good thing for putting the technology on the
map again and encouraging multich recording releases and all the rest.
"The future so bright, I gotta wear shades"
:51QQ

If I got it right, you cannot adjust the Width and Presence parameters from your listening position.

"Honey, could you please turn these knobs until I tell you..."

I like that processed stereo is gradually becoming acceptable. I prefer time-delayed ambiance to the sides, but I welcome any opening of minds.

Last edited:
Why all this Schit about Schit's name. Does anyone give a Schit about Thor the Norse God of Thunder.
Schit is a Norse name, isn't it? The Norse God of Audio!

I thought about what circuits the folks at Schiit might have used for inspiration. Certainly, Dynaquad & Hafler, but the Lafayette Composer A & B would likely be among them. Really, synthesizer of stereo into 4 channel. I have the schematic for the Composer circuit for the Lafayette LR-4000a with still had the Composer A&B circuit. Supposedly, from a story retold by a former employee of Lafayette, there was an FTC complaint made by Sansui of violations of its QS rights in the Lafayette LR-4000a after Lafayette promoted the fact that Composer A played QS quite well... Apparently, independent tests confirmed this to be true. It was too good at playing QS and the next generation Lafayette LR receiver removed the Composer A&B circuits altogether in its final premium Quad receiver the LR-5000. Dug up my copy of the the LR-4000a schematic. The LR-4000a was apparently only sold for only about 6 months before the LR-5000 replaced it. Supposedly, the LR-4000a was made by Luxman and not like the others made by an outfit known as Planet Research...

Attachments

• Lafayette Composer:SQW LR-4000a.pdf
    891.7 KB · Views: 0
Must sound like Schiit! :D, :D . Could not resist, someone buy one and report.

I ordered one earlier today. I saw questions about 4.1

Thank you. A great piece. I'm still interested in the inspiration & development of SYN's Matrix.
The best answer I can give has already been posted at #20. And you can look past the first page on this product at FAQ's & Specs & find more fluffery. Jason Stoddards "review" is at best an infomercial as sponsored by Schiit Audio as it says at top left.

Really this is nothing that hasn't been done 50 years ago, with the improvement of digital in & better IC's. Even the center front output is just a simple L+R mix that mostly will just degrade & narrow the front soundstage.

It can also be said that Involve Audio resurrected ancient audio technology as well. But even then that type of tech surpassed what could be done compared to decoders similar to the Syn of that time.

Back