Shibata vs. Fine Line stylus , replacing an Ortofon OM30 stylus with a Shibata one

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
right now I am pondering what to play to debut my new Shibata stylus I got as a replacement for my Ortofon OM30, which is a "Fine Line"-..maybe some Boston, the Wally cut; it HAS to be something of an Industry Standard.. I got no Steely Dan (here... I do in Madrid) ..oh well..
I also wanted to share the difference in Stylus, maybe I am posting this in the wrong thread but I could not find a "Shibata versus Fine Line Stylus" thread...
My extremely reliable OM30 stylus has been giving me MANY a year of excellent service and , since you should not wait until you HEAR a difference in your stylus to change it, I said what the hell, let's get another one...the people at turntableneedles.com always come to the rescue and I ventured into the unknown and bought a replacement for my Ortofon OMP cart which, according to them is a Shibata stylus and for $159 it looked like a good bargain-the Shibata is the one in the grey plastic with the red "PRO" on it.
I found a nice webpage where it explains the different kinds of stylii here.
The OM30 is $300+ and this one is basically half of that so we shall see how it sounds.
Visually they are very different; at first glance it may look like my exiting OM30 stylus was REALLY worn out, but first of all it's a NUDE (which means it's JUST THE DIAMOND) Fine line stylus and IIRC, when I installed it I said to myself "gosh, that looks rather puny!" cause it did , but since I do not have a microscope and if I did I would not really know how to measure its wear, I trust my instincts and it MAY hold for a few more LPs but I really do not want to risk it.
I found out that the reason that the new Shibata one looks WAY bigger is because it is NOT NUDE, i.e, it is the diamond MOUNTED in metal shank..but still, it looks fairly bigger...here are the pics I got yesterday, I changed the angle to prove that the difference was not just a trick of the light...
IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2674.JPG

Last edited:
is this going on one of your Technics LT's, el kap?

only asking as the specs give recommended VTF of (a seemingly unsuitable for such an application) 1.8-2.2g 🧐
well, it sounds QUITE different to me, much.... BROADER???....
yes, it's one of my SL-QL1s I have and the pressure is usually 1.5g, although you can adjust it all the way to 2g 🥸

well, it sounds QUITE different to me, much.... BROADER???....
yes, it's one of my SL-QL1s I have and the pressure is usually 1.5g, although you can adjust it all the way to 2g 🥸
oh.. i thought the arms on Technics linear trackers were designed to be set within a 1.0-1.5g range with 1.25g being optimal? 🤓

I'm fascinated with needles.....lmao "That's what she said"
No, really. I mean, there are so damn many to choose from. How on earth could you ever know what to buy?? As far as I know, you can't audition them...right?
nope Sireee-p! 🤷🏻‍♀️ you gotta take pot luck, roll with the punches, clutching at straws while holding the rabbit's foot 🤩🤦‍♀️

that's why i have a drawer full of shite cartzzz. wah wah waahh 😭😅🤣

I have an Ortofon OM cart as well, that needs a stylus. I was going to use it on a Technics SL QX300 which also has adjustable tracking, so curious how this all pans out!

fwiw it could probably be worked around with a blob of (fred)blue-tack on top of the cart, which is how i got the AT440MLb to work at 1.7g (1.5g set on the deck with a 0.2g of blu-tak fudged on the top) but the 540ML required a much bigger blob of the blue stuff than i was comfortable with in order to add 0.70g to get that stubby little SL-10 arm to sing like a canary! 😅

just got a spectrogram from my OM 30 and the crusty ciabatta , I mean, Shibatta...
Only "More than a feeling" on both of them..
OM30:
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 3.25.43 PM.png

and now the Shitbetta:
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 3.26.07 PM.png

I know this is only a small view into things but I'd say that the OM30 has a much less "colored" sound or response...

That grey one looks very much like Ortofon Pro stylus. A spherical stylus for DJ use like scratching etc. Retail price below 40€.
As far as I know, and I can be wrong here, there is no Shibata stylus made by Ortofon for OM-series cartridges. Some aftermarket stuff might exist.

just got a spectrogram from my OM 30 and the crusty ciabatta , I mean, Shibatta...
Only "More than a feeling" on both of them..
OM30:
View attachment 91023

and now the Shitbetta:
View attachment 91025

I know this is only a small view into things but I'd say that the OM30 has a much less "colored" sound or response...
That grey one looks very much like Ortofon Pro stylus. A spherical stylus for DJ use like scratching etc. Retail price below 40€.
As far as I know, and I can be wrong here, there is no Shibata stylus made by Ortofon for OM-series cartridges. Some aftermarket stuff might exist.
i think maybe it's an aftermarket adaptation, with a Shibata in an Ortofon Pro body?

either way, to me it looks like a load of old twaddle and i'd be sending it back to the vendor.

right now I am pondering what to play to debut my new Shibata stylus I got as a replacement for my Ortofon OM30, which is a "Fine Line"-..maybe some Boston, the Wally cut; it HAS to be something of an Industry Standard.. I got no Steely Dan (here... I do in Madrid) ..oh well..
I also wanted to share the difference in Stylus, maybe I am posting this in the wrong thread but I could not find a "Shibata versus Fine Line Stylus" thread...
My extremely reliable OM30 stylus has been giving me MANY a year of excellent service and , since you should not wait until you HEAR a difference in your stylus to change it, I said what the hell, let's get another one...the people at turntableneedles.com always come to the rescue and I ventured into the unknown and bought a replacement for my Ortofon OMP cart which, according to them is a Shibata stylus and for $159 it looked like a good bargain-the Shibata is the one in the grey plastic with the red "PRO" on it.
The OM30 is $300+ and this one is basically half of that so we shall see how it sounds.
Visually they are very different; at first glance it may look like my exiting OM30 stylus was REALLY worn out, but first of all it's a NUDE (which means it's JUST THE DIAMOND) Fine line stylus and IIRC, when I installed it I said to myself "gosh, that looks rather puny!" cause it did , but since I do not have a microscope and if I did I would not really know how to measure its wear, I trust my instincts and it MAY hold for a few more LPs but I really do not want to risk it.
I found out that the reason that the new Shibata one looks WAY bigger is because it is NOT NUDE, i.e, it is the diamond MOUNTED in metal shank..but still, it looks fairly bigger...here are the pics I got yesterday, I changed the angle to prove that the difference was not just a trick of the light...
View attachment 91018
View attachment 91019
View attachment 91018
View attachment 91019
My recommendation is the ol standby I have used since the 70's. Works very well on Technics SL turntables. Buy once, cry once,

Pickering XUV/4500 Q Stylus

Back