Simple Minds "Sparkle in the Rain" (March 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never been a fan of Lillywhite's production on this one: thin, veiled, distant. I much prefer the crisper and cleaner sound of the two albums that bookend this release. When the DVD-A versions of New Gold Dream & Once Upon a Time came out I felt that Sparkle was passed over because the sonics could not be improved. I can only hope that Mr. Wilson can improve that tin can sound.

His work with Big Country, U2, PG, Joan Armatrading, & Psychedelic Furs during the early '80s all suffered a bit from this but not as extreme as on this album.
My friends and I always said he was the producer we loved to hate. We loved the music and the artists he produced but hated the mix.

And I don't want to read DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 mix! :mad:

Probably just a bad copy and paste job.
I'm guessing the new mixes will be LPCM stereo & 5.1, along with DTS-HD MA 5.1 for the Blu-Ray, and the DVD-A in the box will be MLP stereo & 5.1, along with LPCM stereo, DTS 96/24 5.1, and DD 5.1
Just a hunch based on Tears for Fears.

Probably just a bad copy and paste job.
I'm guessing the new mixes will be LPCM stereo & 5.1, along with DTS-HD MA 5.1 for the Blu-Ray, and the DVD-A in the box will be MLP stereo & 5.1, along with LPCM stereo, DTS 96/24 5.1, and DD 5.1
Just a hunch based on Tears for Fears.

Yes, I'm also full of hope. :)

I like Simple Minds but like most 80s stuff I've only pre-ordered the Blu-ray Audio not the box set, lets hope it is at least DTS-HD MA :mad:@:

I like Simple Minds but like most 80s stuff I've only pre-ordered the Blu-ray Audio not the box set, lets hope it is at least DTS-HD MA :mad:@:

I'd sure like that extended mix of Waterfront but afraid the dvd-audio won't play in my machine since the newer dvd-audio disks don't and simply say "disc no read". All come out of the same outfit.

I'd sure like that extended mix of Waterfront but afraid the dvd-audio won't play in my machine since the newer dvd-audio disks don't and simply say "disc no read". All come out of the same outfit.

Are you running the latest firmware on your player? If so, why not just get a new player? These discs seem to work perfectly fine on most members' players...

Are you running the latest firmware on your player? If so, why not just get a new player? These discs seem to work perfectly fine on most members' players...

Yes, it has the latest firmware but there hasn't been an update for quite a few years now. Buy a new player? Why not fix the disks? Everything but disks from this one outfit work fine on my player and I have a rather large collection. 135 playable dvd-audio disks according to my database.

Too bad the New Gold Dream DVD-A goes for sky high prices. At least I managed to snag a copy of Once Upon a Time when the cost was still reasonable.

I've always loved Sparkle in the Rain and really look forward to Steve Wilson's 5.1 BD remastering. Thanks everyone for the info and links.

Too bad the New Gold Dream DVD-A goes for sky high prices. At least I managed to snag a copy of Once Upon a Time when the cost was still reasonable.

I've always loved Sparkle in the Rain and really look forward to Steve Wilson's 5.1 BD remastering. Thanks everyone for the info and links.

I propose that everyone on here who mistakes remastering for REMIXING (which is actually what Steven Wilson does) should be forced to listen to a Silverline dual disc… ;)

But still, nice that you scored "Once Upon A Time" for a good price. I'd love to get both of the older DVDAs myself.

I propose that everyone on here who mistakes remastering for REMIXING (which is actually what Steven Wilson does) should be forced to listen to a Silverline dual disc… ;)

But still, nice that you scored "Once Upon A Time" for a good price. I'd love to get both of the older DVDAs myself.

I have the Simple Minds DVD-A's.
They're ok. The original NGD CD I bought in the 80's is about as good really.
That said, Sparkle In The Rain is definite buy for me.
IIRC, it was a bit of departure from the previous releases I have the cd and remember liking it at the time.
I think I need to revisit.

Back