slight flaw in the surround master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rareed

Ive had my SM for a few years now and consider it one of the finest pieses of audio equiptment ever

but when playing stereo records it seems to sometimes to be excessive on the left back and right front or weak on the left front and righe rear this happens about 1 in 5 records

Ive had my SM for a few years now and consider it one of the finest pieses of audio equiptment ever

but when playing stereo records it seems to sometimes to be excessive on the left back and right front or weak on the left front and righe rear this happens about 1 in 5 records
When you're playing stereo records, the quad effect is purely random. It wasn't planned for. The results will be widely variable. It all depends on the amount of out-of-phase present in the mix.

Also, any flaw in vinyl may be interpreted by any matrix type decoder as out-of-phase information and the resultant effect may not be pleasing. I've noted this with a few CDs also where the center image is off center or unstable. If you have a 5.1 system, the solution in those cases is to switch the SM to 5.1 so that the center channel locks in on the image and stabilizes it.

It might have a bit to do with the all-pass (phase) filters on the output. The filters put QS (& Involve) encoded material back in phase, but adds unnecessary phase shifting to enhanced stereo, that might be the cause of the anormalities that you are hearing.

the thing is it is not random always heavy on that diagonal and weak on the other diagonal on about 1 in 5 records

Back