Snood Snoopid Center Speaker Stand Search Dilemma Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Staff member
OK Well, Snood last things for me equipment need are speaker stands..........Snood tall about 6'3" and when sitting down it looks like me needs about 36 inch speakers stands to get about decent ear leveling........

Well Snood leaning towards these for all my Elab B6 bookshelfs :unsure: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01EVNE...olid=35VUC8D61UVLE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

One person even mentions they have the same speakers and they are great for them.......Snood will probably sand or bb 1 or 2 of 3 poles on each.

So that leaves Snood with center speaker stand anddddddddddddddd almost every freaking center speaker stand is 18 to 22 inches wtf!!!!! 🤪

looking for at least 31 inches and hopefully 36 - why are center speaker stand be so low.....me gets if they do not want to interfere with tv on table, but what if tv high up and speaker sound field is high, why centers so low?

Looking maybe to see if these guys https://www.gwizpro.com/stands/ can make me a decent high center speaker stand - ran some numbers looks like about 20 or 30 bucks more (150 to 160 maybe more) than the 22 inch ones. Would have to be a large base.........the Elac center is 25ish pounds....Something like the ones picture to the left but higher in Matte Black

I am also thinking maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe just buying 2 more of the above regular stands and putting them next to each other for the center speaker stand. Would that be odd? :unsure:

Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thaaaank you :LB

I have a pretty small music room for now, all the big rooms are on the other side of house near Momma Snood. She has to have bigger room because it is attached to the bathroom that has walk in shower and the living room is right next door lol - urrrrrrrgh, but it all koo she Momma Snood. :QQlove (hmm is that a new banana?)

OK let the flaming of Snood begin :LB🤗:LB

Center speaker stands are lower because generally a center speaker would sit underneath your TV, of which the center point would be at eye level.

Much like I've always toed my front left and front right speakers inward so they're pointing towards my head, I've also always angled all 3 front speakers slightly upward so they're pointing directly at me. With floorstanders I've done this by adjusting the spikes so the front ones are higher than the rear ones, and with center speakers I've just jammed some felt blocks or similar under the front to get the upward tilt I want.

TL;DR: speakers don't have to be at ear height and level, they can be lower and angled upward.

These are what I use for my fronts in my quad system Snood, I believe they initially were sold at Ikea. There was a picture online of a DIY copper pipe speaker stand that would be customiseable. I would have "borroed the picture but Pinterest discourages that.

2 of the bookshelf stands side-by-side could work. I would stare at those Amazon pics for ages and imagine them side-by-side before I made the purchase though. Or you could do some cut and paste to mock 'em up side-by-side.

Or you could make your own stand/cabinet outta wood from the local hardware store. I did that last year when I upgraded to a Sony 75" XF90 screen. There weren't any suitable cabinets that could also house my KEF Q600C centre speaker and have everything at the heights I wanted. There's always a bit of a trade-off with having the screen a smidge higher than you'd like to get the centre speaker at the height you want but I managed to get it how I want it. Might be a bit low for Snood (I'm 5' 9") but if you come round, you can sit on a few cushions.

Here's a pic of what I ended up with. Might spark some new Snood ideas. Hey, you can see a reflection of the left surround speaker in the screen.

DSC05827.jpg

I have one word for you, fair SNOOD ....... 2" BRASS SPIKES ....... I use them on ALL my speakers and they not only improve the overall sonics but will elevate the speakers, as well, and 'decouple' them from carpeting and surfaces.

Ummm What?? :unsure: First off ...no funny picture??

Secondly still.....ummm what?? 🤗

Ack. My fronts and center are 42" off the floor, and there is a 55" TV mounted higher. The front corners are toed in toward my sitting position.
My rears are mounted on 30 lb. capable swivel mounts and are placed even higher, but angled down toward my sitting position.
The bases of all but the center speaker had optional base-mounts that were made as to work with the heavy duty swivel mounts so I didn't have to mod anything to mount the rears except find a stud to screw the swivel mounts into.
Since all my heavy ass bookshelf speakers are rear ported, I'd rather them be in "free space" than backed up to the cabinets at the front and furniture at the back of the room.
The 4 corners and larger center are all of a set I bought some years ago after a review I read at Audioholics from a now defunct company that had them built by a contractor in China.

Anyway having the speakers higher than my sitting position has never been a problem for me.

I don't know what you scored in Wood Shop class Snood, but making your own center stand along the lines of those "two column" types would be relatively easy. A little stain and lacquer and it will look like a pro job. You can even make the platform and use 4Eareds spikes for the true audiophile look. I made front stands of the PVC pipe variety with wood base and platform (Google DIY speaker stands....ye shall find) and I'm no Michelangelo.

OK Well, Snood last things for me equipment need are speaker stands..........Snood tall about 6'3" and when sitting down it looks like me needs about 36 inch speakers stands to get about decent ear leveling........

Well Snood leaning towards these for all my Elab B6 bookshelfs :unsure: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01EVNE...olid=35VUC8D61UVLE&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

One person even mentions they have the same speakers and they are great for them.......Snood will probably sand or bb 1 or 2 of 3 poles on each.

So that leaves Snood with center speaker stand anddddddddddddddd almost every freaking center speaker stand is 18 to 22 inches wtf!!!!! 🤪

looking for at least 31 inches and hopefully 36 - why are center speaker stand be so low.....me gets if they do not want to interfere with tv on table, but what if tv high up and speaker sound field is high, why centers so low?

Looking maybe to see if these guys https://www.gwizpro.com/stands/ can make me a decent high center speaker stand - ran some numbers looks like about 20 or 30 bucks more (150 to 160 maybe more) than the 22 inch ones. Would have to be a large base.........the Elac center is 25ish pounds....Something like the ones picture to the left but higher in Matte Black

I am also thinking maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe just buying 2 more of the above regular stands and putting them next to each other for the center speaker stand. Would that be odd? :unsure:

Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thaaaank you :LB

I have a pretty small music room for now, all the big rooms are on the other side of house near Momma Snood. She has to have bigger room because it is attached to the bathroom that has walk in shower and the living room is right next door lol - urrrrrrrgh, but it all koo she Momma Snood. :QQlove (hmm is that a new banana?)

OK let the flaming of Snood begin :LB🤗:LB
I went to Kmart bought two end tables and use them for my rear speaks. My center is on a wall shelf put up for just that purpose above my tv, But, I have very sturdy wall brackets holding the shelf up. They were from old speaker wall mounts - very heavy duty.
My fronts are on hardwood stands made for that purpose. I say u have to spend to get quality stands. Had mine so long I forget what they cost.

What is your tv sitting on or is it wall mounted? It's very important to have your center channel as close to the tv as possible to anchor dialog to the screen. It should be dead center and either just below or above the screen. You want it to appear as much as possible that when someone is talking, the sound is coming from their mouth, otherwise it creates a weird disconnect. Some people actually set their tv on top of their center speaker, preferably with a rubber mat or towel or something between them.

You can also build some nice sturdy stands for next to nothing. I made mine with a couple of bucks worth of wood from Home Depot and some wood glue, screws and flat black spray paint. The only tools I used was a tape measure to get the right pencil lines on the wood, a circular saw to cut the wood pieces, a drill for starter holes for the screws, and a screwdriver. I glued and screwed them all together then painted them out on my porch on a big piece of cardboard. The great thing about making your own stands is that you can measure and make them exactly the size for what you need.

Ack. My fronts and center are 42" off the floor, and there is a 55" TV mounted higher. The front corners are toed in toward my sitting position.
My rears are mounted on 30 lb. capable swivel mounts and are placed even higher, but angled down toward my sitting position.
The bases of all but the center speaker had optional base-mounts that were made as to work with the heavy duty swivel mounts so I didn't have to mod anything to mount the rears except find a stud to screw the swivel mounts into.
Since all my heavy ass bookshelf speakers are rear ported, I'd rather them be in "free space" than backed up to the cabinets at the front and furniture at the back of the room.
The 4 corners and larger center are all of a set I bought some years ago after a review I read at Audioholics from a now defunct company that had them built by a contractor in China.

Anyway having the speakers higher than my sitting position has never been a problem for me.

Hey Boony can you send me a pic of your center here or in PM? :LB

I don't understand. Is your TV not wall mounted?

A pic would be helpful.

Nope it is not, but it sits up High on a component cabinet I have - So yah the center stand would be in fron tof the compnent cabinet but that is not a big deal to Snood

Also thank oyu everyone for suggestions and such.... still searching

Back