Solar battery powered system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimHansonDC

QQ Supporter
We're getting solar for our house and will be generating a pile of free electricity. We'll also have battery backup. I now have to choose what systems to put on the backup power panel for outages.
BUT
This also gives me the opportunity to make my full surround listening rig one of those. I've read a lot of people talking about the horrors of "dirty" power from the grid. This will be the cleanest, sun-produced, electric manna from heaven stored in a Tesla Powerwall and available every day. Is this really the amazing upgrade the power fans claim? The cost to me is pretty minimal to have it run my system.

We're getting solar for our house and will be generating a pile of free electricity. We'll also have battery backup. I now have to choose what systems to put on the backup power panel for outages.
BUT
This also gives me the opportunity to make my full surround listening rig one of those. I've read a lot of people talking about the horrors of "dirty" power from the grid. This will be the cleanest, sun-produced, electric manna from heaven stored in a Tesla Powerwall and available every day. Is this really the amazing upgrade the power fans claim? The cost to me is pretty minimal to have it run my system.

Firstly, congratulations on what sounds like a fantastic project. I hope it goes smooth & it would be good to hear some updates as it goes along.

I don't know the details of a Tesla Powerwall but at the risk of stating the obviouys, that solar cell & battery power is DC voltage & must be converted to AC for conventional household use. In many systems this is done by using a square wave multi-vibrator circuit at 60 Hz. The problem with square waves is they carry a boatload of harmonics. I'd be concerned that would be detrimental altho I can't estimate if that would be audible. Certainly not best practice for high quality AV gear.

On the other hand if your system outputs nicely shaped pure sine wave that would be fine to use. Again tho I would not anticipate it being an audible improvement unless you can already identify problems coming from "dirty" power.

Edit: drop a note to @chucky3042 . He's the main man behing the Involve Surround Master. He also is main partner in complete solar cell back up systems in Australia. I'm sure he could give a definitive answer about this.

Firstly, congratulations on what sounds like a fantastic project. I hope it goes smooth & it would be good to hear some updates as it goes along.

I don't know the details of a Tesla Powerwall but at the risk of stating the obviouys, that solar cell & battery power is DC voltage & must be converted to AC for conventional household use. In many systems this is done by using a square wave multi-vibrator circuit at 60 Hz. The problem with square waves is they carry a boatload of harmonics. I'd be concerned that would be detrimental altho I can't estimate if that would be audible. Certainly not best practice for high quality AV gear.

On the other hand if your system outputs nicely shaped pure sine wave that would be fine to use. Again tho I would not anticipate it being an audible improvement unless you can already identify problems coming from "dirty" power.

Edit: drop a note to @chucky3042 . He's the main man behing the Involve Surround Master. He also is main partner in complete solar cell back up systems in Australia. I'm sure he could give a definitive answer about this.
Thanks for the response. I will check in with Chucky. The new Tesla system has an inverter built in and I asked them to send specs for what it outputs. I don't want to just spin my wheels changing happy to glad if there isn't a real issue. But I'd also love to be able to put a Powered by Tesla tag on my system for fun.

BUT
Ask Tesla what the frequency stability is as this affects speed of some turntables and tape decks. Then ask what is the harmonic distortion of the output? You want less than 5% if possible.

Back