Sony TA1150

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

Wombat

Does anyone know anything about this amp? It has been my HiFi amp for over 30 years and no complaints but I know zip about how the Quadraphonic side of it works.

On the rear panel there is a "Centre Channel Out" (RCA socket) and a block of 4 RCA sockets labelled "4 Channel" 2 are IN and 2 are OUT.

Are these (centre and the 4 channel) preamp line sockets or speaker sockets?

There are "Remote" speaker connections on the rear and a button to select these on the front panel. I have used speakers on the remote output and they appear to only duplicate the "Main" or front speakers.

I would like to feed the analogue output from a DVD 5.1 (well 4 anyway) into the Amp and maintain the surround sound - can it be done?

David

I have 2 of these - lets sort out the issue of quad, this is NOT a quad amplifier ONLY STEREO the "center out" is actually a pre-amp output (it consists of L total + R total but at low levels).

The outputs are 2 sets of stereo wired in parallel (loading is 1 pair = approx 8 ohms, 2 pairs = approx 4 ohms).

In the 4-channel master mode (switch bottom front RHS) the inputs on the second amp become redundant - all input selection must be made to master only.

here are my setups -

I am new to this group so thought someone might be interested in my setups?.

I have several equalizers in my systems at home & they work well, note that the JDM had them labeled as Victor SEA-V7E but when exported they were re-branded as JVC SEA-V7E – the setups that I have are as follows –

System 1 – mix of Sony & JVC

VT-700 (Tuner)
SEA-V7E (Equalizer)
SQD-2000 (Decoder)
4VN-880 (Amp)

System 2 – mix of Sony & JVC

VT-700 (Tuner)
SEA-V7E (Equalizer) - front
SQD-2010 (Decoder)
SEA-V7E (Equalizer) - rear
4VN-880 (Amp)

System 3 – Sony

ST-5150 (Tuner)
TA-1150 (Amp) – front
SQD-2020 (Decoder)
TA-1150 (Amp) – rear
D-5A (CD)

System 4 – PC system, to transfer LPs to CD

PC with sound blaster & Sound Forge / Laundry software
SL-10 (Turntable)
+ approx 250 Quad LPs

I also have the following other pieces in my collection.

Marantz ST-400 Tuner (modified to include AM Stereo PCB)
Pioneer QD-240 Decoder
Sony SQA-100 Decoder (3)
Sony SQA-200 Decoder
Sony SQA-2030 Decoder
Sony SQD-1000 Decoder (2)
Sony SQD-2020 Decoder
Sony SQD-2050 Decoder (2)
Sony SQD-2070 Decoder
Sony ST-80F Tuner (3)
Sony ST-88 Tuner (2)
Sony TA-88 Amp (3)
Sony TA-1050 (2)
Sony TAH-10 Headphone adapter
Technics SH-400 Decoder
Technics SH-3433 Scope

I am still searching for the following 2 elusive items JVC VT-900 tuner & Sony ST-5555 tuner…..

Thanks

Steve
(in New Zealand)

I have a SONY TA-1150 for many years working perfectly, but a month ago it stopped working after a power surge. I took it to a technician and the diagnosis is that it has burn the amplifier outputs section. He told me that with the Technical Manual with the Schematic Diagrams, and the part list he can fix it. There is anyone out there that have the "Sony TA-1150 Int-amp Original Service Manual" in PDF format and be so kind to send it to me via email ([email protected]). Thanks.

Back