Sony UBP-X800 4K/SACD/DVD-A Player: Who Has Lowest Price?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sony X800 doesn't play DVD-AUDIO Discs? It say it does on the side of the box (DVD VIDEO/AUDIO). I MUST have DVD-AUDIO Capability. I did return the Sony and Bought A Yamaha BD-1060 Universal Player which DOES play DVD-AUDIO according to a review I read (Even though not stated so by Yamaha.) I know for sure after Christmas, but these are now on a RARE SALE At AMAZON for about $375.. Better quality and better unit. (I hope ;)). Again is it true that the SONY won't play DVD-A Discs for certain?
The x800 absolutely plays commercially pressed dvd-audio discs. Just not copies.

I hope I'm not in for the same sad surprise with the Yamaha Aventage BD-1060. A review said it supports DVD-AUDIO, although not stated by Yamaha. I hope that include Home Burned DVD-A too, or I'm S.O.O.L! The Review: http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...aha-bd-a1060-universal-blu-ray-player-review/
Looks to me like the specs say it handles all kinds of -R or -RW type media. I'd say you're good to go. Also, on Crutchfield, they also mention rewrite media support. I also looked at USA.Yamaha.com and it too says DVD-R and DVD-RW, etc.

Well, as mentioned earlier, the unit practically NEVER goes on sale for less than $499, but is currently on Amazon at $371 if anyone want to take the same chance. They are probably close to releasing a new 4K model. This may be the last unit to play home burned DVD-AUDIO, (assuming it does!). I bought the matching Yamaha Aventage Receiver in Fall to go with this unit. Will know in a day or two and will post results. My laser in my older Yamaha Universal Player was very "tired" and the unit needs to be replaced.

I hope I'm not in for the same sad surprise with the Yamaha Aventage BD-1060. A review said it supports DVD-AUDIO, although not stated by Yamaha. I hope that include Home Burned DVD-A too, or I'm S.O.O.L! The Review: http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...aha-bd-a1060-universal-blu-ray-player-review/

Let us know if that Yamaha does indeed play DVDA 5.1 to the ears . I read all the reviews attached and still could not ascertain if it plays DVDA Surround to the receiver ?
it states in the reviews it reads DVDA , but does it put out 5.1 or just DVDA stereo............or converts the MLP to DTS/DD ?

Thanks , fizz

Let us know if that Yamaha does indeed play DVDA 5.1 to the ears . I read all the reviews attached and still could not ascertain if it plays DVDA Surround to the receiver ?
it states in the reviews it reads DVDA , but does it put out 5.1 or just DVDA stereo............or converts the MLP to DTS/DD ?

Thanks , fizz
My impression is that most recent universal players don't play burned DVD-As, that it's a limitation imposed as part of the patent license. But who knows?

Incidentally, the DVD-Audio patents all expire in the next 3 years (many in 2019), so after that who knows?

But if the Patents for DVD-A do expire, just as MP3 has supposedly, that should mean anyone can do whatever the hell with that bit of Technology.

DVD/Blu-ray player manufacturers won't have to pay any royalties, so they could add DVD-A playback. Software developers could do whatever they want.

There's still the issue of MLP Patents maybe. Files over, I forget the bit rate offhand, 9 or 10 bits per second or so, need to be encoded with MLP unless there's a work around. Anyway, something to keep an eye on and further research is needed. Thanks.

My Yamaha Aventage BD-1060 does not play the DVD-AUDIO files, as the article I posted earlier led me to believe. http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...aha-bd-a1060-universal-blu-ray-player-review/
Even the Factory DVD-AUDIO discs would only play the DoIby Digital or DTS files. ( I was sure to check that it was set for PCM in from the HDMI input on both player and receiver. The unit DOES play SACD's as specified and in 5.1.
I guess I must downsample my DVD-AUDIO conversions to 44K DTS CD's, unless someone has a simple solution. I do have the DVD EXPLORER Program to do that, but it annoys the hell out of me!

What about ripping the MPL DVDA tracks to FLAC files and copying them onto a USB thumb drive. You can play them from the front panel of the BD player.
Can I also convert my 48K DVD-AUDIO Files to Multichannel FLAC. I may have to conversion program somewhere, but may I ask what program most use these days and the easiest?

I cant speak for everyone here, but I use DVD audio extractor. It will convert the tracks from your DVDA disks as well as the full DTS bitrate from DVDs. I believe you get a 30 day free trial before you have to buy the software.

My Yamaha Aventage BD-1060 does not play the DVD-AUDIO files, as the article I posted earlier led me to believe. http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...aha-bd-a1060-universal-blu-ray-player-review/
Even the Factory DVD-AUDIO discs would only play the DoIby Digital or DTS files. ( I was sure to check that it was set for PCM in from the HDMI input on both player and receiver. The unit DOES play SACD's as specified and in 5.1.
I guess I must downsample my DVD-AUDIO conversions to 44K DTS CD's, unless someone has a simple solution. I do have the DVD EXPLORER Program to do that, but it annoys the hell out of me!

Yes, thankyou.

It's the Factory DVDA'S I wanted to know about .
Oh Well, it's too bad.........we could've used a second manufacturer .

But if the Patents for DVD-A do expire, just as MP3 has supposedly, that should mean anyone can do whatever the hell with that bit of Technology.

DVD/Blu-ray player manufacturers won't have to pay any royalties, so they could add DVD-A playback. Software developers could do whatever they want.

There's still the issue of MLP Patents maybe. Files over, I forget the bit rate offhand, 9 or 10 bits per second or so, need to be encoded with MLP unless there's a work around. Anyway, something to keep an eye on and further research is needed. Thanks.
The DVD-Audio patents are all included in a licensing pool that charges one fee: http://www.dvd6cla.com/list/list_06_14.html

Apparently there's a seperate patent for MLP? Doesn't make sense, because MLP was included in DVD-Audio discs from the beginning. This seems to be it, expires a few years later if I'm reading correctly: https://patents.google.com/patent/US6784812B2/3Den. I assume anyone looking seriously at making a universal player after 2020 and not paying royalties will hire a patent lawyer to do their diligence.

I tried converting my DVD-AUDIO files to FLAC first converting to an ISO image, but FOOBAR2000 or AUDIOMUZER don't seem to recognize the image file, so I can't finish the conversion to FLAC

Back