Southern Surroundings, 2012 Lynyrd Skynyrd Collection To Be Reissued On Blu-Ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
http://www.musictap.net/2015/03/18/...d-collection-to-be-reissued-on-blu-ray-audio/

With excellent Blu-ray Audio titles trickling out, it’s nice to see a collection of great songs come along in the previously released Lynyrd Skynyrd set, Southern Surroundings. Southern Surroundings was a superior set released in 2012, and featured not only the band’s classic big hits in an Elliott Scheiner remix, but also 5.1 Surround Sound tracks on a DVD-Audio disc along with hi-quality Stereo versions (96k/24-bit).
On May 12, Geffen will revisit that collection in an AUDIO ONLY Blu-ray Audio disc. The original contained an added DVD-Video of their Old Grey Whistle Test appearance. (I’m not sure if the audio from that show will be here.) But the fourteen classic tracks, including the 10+ minute extended song of “Free Bird” will be here.
The tracks here are likely the Scheiner tracks. As more details creep in, I’ll update for those that like this bit of news.

Excellent Blu-Ray Audio titles? That's debatable… ;)

But, this release should please a lot of people overseas (not in America) as I'm pretty sure this disc was not only just available at Wal-Mart here in the US, I don't think it was sold in any other countries at all.
So if you want it, now's the time! :)

Thanks for the heads up RT! (y)

I do wish Elliot Scheiner would do more surround collections for other artists where missing multitracks are said to be the stumbling block preventing the albums themselves being remixed in their entirety (I'm looking at you, Steely Dan..!!)

http://www.musictap.net/2015/03/18/...d-collection-to-be-reissued-on-blu-ray-audio/

Excellent Blu-Ray Audio titles? That's debatable… ;)

But, this release should please a lot of people overseas (not in America) as I'm pretty sure this disc was not only just available at Wal-Mart here in the US, I don't think it was sold in any other countries at all.
I got my brother-in-law, who also lives in Alberta, turned-on to DVD-A a few years back because he had an Acura. Back when this disc came out I told him about it but that it was only available in the US. One night out of the blue he called me and said "hey I'm in a Walmart in (St. George UT I think) and I just saw this disc. Is this the one you were talking about? It's $12!" So he picked up 2 copies. It's a great disc.

I got my brother-in-law, who also lives in Alberta, turned-on to DVD-A a few years back because he had an Acura. Back when this disc came out I told him about it but that it was only available in the US. One night out of the blue he called me and said "hey I'm in a Walmart in (St. George UT I think) and I just saw this disc. Is this the one you were talking about? It's $12!" So he picked up 2 copies. It's a great disc.
you see how good to have tandem/cooperation with someone for such hobby.
i have some prints, which turned out to become rare/hard to find, and which purchased for me by my cousin, whom many
moons back i had dragged into wonderful world of hi-rez surround. if it's not because of him, i wouldn't ever have those prints.
if i spotted something and i know he doesn't have it - i always buying for him as well.

I eventually got mine via Amazon Marketplace. I could have got it on eBay. Prices weren't too bad.

I'm not holding out for Sweet Home Alabama on the BDA, I'm sure I read the multi tracks are gone. Maybe a good up mix though? I have to go to their Live DVD-A for SHA in surround. I'd much prefer the studio version.

Just silly that this "Pure Audio" concept means that the video has to be left out.
why is that? i'm quite indifferent to video, when LISTENING to the music.
i think live motion on screen is pretty distracting and annoying. perhaps there are others like me as well.

The original release had live concert performances. They are omitted on the Blu-ray because they have video. No reason, blu-ray supports video. Just because you don't like watching concerts doesn't mean others don't.

And, even if there is video, no one says you have to have your television on and look at it if it bothers you. You are still deprived of those live performances.

why is that? i'm quite indifferent to video, when LISTENING to the music.
i think live motion on screen is pretty distracting and annoying. perhaps there are others like me as well.

you're talking about separate DVD Video with live performance, which was included into previous set or your concern about ES 5.1 mix wasn't accommodated with some video?

It contains one of the two LS songs I care about. :-/

If for some reason the re-release has "Alabama" on it in 5.1, I'm in!! :)
I didn't know of any other LS song besides Sweet Home Alabama when I got this disc. But I'm still very glad I bought it. Just love "Gimme Back My Bullets". And there are lots of good songs on this one. The fidelity and mix on this disc are top notch. The reality is that the majority of my surround collection is made up of songs that I'd never heard before.

you're talking about separate DVD Video with live performance, which was included into previous set or your concern about ES 5.1 mix wasn't accommodated with some video?

Yes, I have the Southern Surroundings set. It has CD, DVD-Video, and DVD-Audio content. It is a shame that for this re-release on Blu-ray the live video performance won't be included because of a "policy" of making audio only releases. It is a lesser release than the original.

I hadn't listened to the DVDA in a while. Had to pull it out. I love all the songs...starting with Saturday Night Special, Gimme Three Steps, Swamp Thing... But, I have to admit that I've heard Free Bird so many times in my life that... well you know how it is.

For Sweet Home Alabama and Call Me The Breeze, I usually turn to AP's

image.jpg

Have the DVD-A, not the BR, but this title is a Winner IMHO. This title would make a great Birthday/Holiday gift for a friend with no DVD-A/SACD player, but with a Blu-Ray player to introduce Hi-Rez sound.

Yes, I have the Southern Surroundings set. It has CD, DVD-Video, and DVD-Audio content. It is a shame that for this re-release on Blu-ray the live video performance won't be included because of a "policy" of making audio only releases. It is a lesser release than the original.
sorry, i misunderstood you earlier.
and sure, if room allows, why not add some bonus stuff.

Some new info on this release has come to light (via amazon.de and jpc)

It will have the same track listing as the DVD-A except it will contain one bonus track:

"Sweet Home Alabama" (Live at the Fox Theater 1976)

That DVD-a a release was a wally world exclusive, a very odd duck! I still cannot figure out why wally world would do that.
When I went to buy the copies, they were not where they were supposed to be, (a display) rather they were all stuffed into another section entirely.

Back