Spoon "Lucifer On The Sofa" - Dolby Atmos mix now available as a lossless download!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
Wow - great album/mix! 🤘

And great news about future releases... Is the Pixies - Doolittle album in contention?

I don't recall the Libertines debut mix to be much shakes but maybe it'll have more punch in lossless? And they have a new album coming out soon as well... But plenty to wet the appetite. :)

Is the Pixies - Doolittle album in contention?
Perhaps ;)
I don't recall the Libertines debut mix to be much shakes but maybe it'll have more punch in lossless?
Haven't heard it yet, but I do have the masters for Queens Of The Stone Age's In Times New Roman (another one I wasn't wowed by initially) and it turns out there actually is something there.

So, do they want piracy to be an issue? This is astonishingly dumb. (I'm in the US, btw.)
1000005462.png

Per our agreement with BGD, we are only authorized to sell in the United States. No one is more unhappy about this than me and I fought against it vehemently during negotiations (which started in May 2023, just to give you an idea of how long these things take), but it was a red line for them. I am hopeful we can revisit the terms of the agreement if they are shown that there is sufficient international interest.

If you are indeed located in the US, you should 100% be able to purchase - I will notify our dev team immediately to see why you're getting that message.

Not sure why people aren't going nuts about this. Spoon may not be known by all members here, but this Lucifer on the Sofa release is hands down the highest profile surround sound mix ever available for downloadable purchase. This might just be the door opening up for many albums' Atmos mixes becoming available for lossless official release!

"But, I prefer physical releases!" some may say, which is a sentiment I am both sympathetic to and agree with. The fact of the matter remains, however, that physical releases of such material by many bands is simply not a properly profitable venture. Downloadable surround sound content should be seen as a supplement in that sense, to fill in the gaps of this niche audio market. If surround sound mixes are made, why should they languish on streaming services, where their future existence remains uncertain?

Last edited:
One of my favorite Atmos mixes of a 'new' rock record, really proud to have it on the site :)

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/now-available-in-dolby-atmos-spoons-lucifer-on-the-sofa/

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/lucifer-on-the-sofa-spoon-atmos-mkv-mp4/

As mentioned in the article, it's the first in a series of Atmos releases from Beggars Group that we'll be rolling out over the course of this year and perhaps into next (yes, there are that many albums).
This is totally, totally, fab. Jonathan, you're gonna be a busy guy! Congrats!

Very happy to hear about your arrangement with Beggars Group! So many great bands on their labels. I hope more Love and Rockets in surround is still a possibility.

Will check out Spoon...

Per our agreement with BGD, we are only authorized to sell in the United States. No one is more unhappy about this than me and I fought against it vehemently during negotiations (which started in May 2023, just to give you an idea of how long these things take), but it was a red line for them. I am hopeful we can revisit the terms of the agreement if they are shown that there is sufficient international interest.

If you are indeed located in the US, you should 100% be able to purchase - I will notify our dev team immediately to see why you're getting that message.
bummer :( will try VPN.

Last edited:
You really have to think it’ll turn the heads of artists to release music in this way, with the carrot being a high res surround/Atmos mix; sure, it’s only a particular segment of the listening population that’ll want it, but at $25 bucks for a digital product… it’s gotta be at least as good as the margin they’re pulling on merch at shows (or tickets themselves), which seems to be one of the primary revenue generators in these days of streaming. I’m not complaining about everyone that’s on the road right now (like Steven Wilson says, “it seems like everybody”) - but we know that the modern financial structure of being a musician is one of, if not the main, reasons why.

...it's the first in a series of Atmos releases from Beggars Group that we'll be rolling out over the course of this year and perhaps into next (yes, there are that many albums).
Very happy to hear about your arrangement with Beggars Group! So many great bands on their labels. I hope more Love and Rockets in surround is still a possibility.
Just to give an idea of what could potentially be in the pipeline, here's a (likely incomplete) listing of all the Atmos mixes I could find on Apple Music from Beggars-associated labels. I'm pretty sure these are all genuine (as in not upmixed/derived from stereo). Of course, there are also the out-of-print 5.1 mixes of Love & Rockets' Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven and Gene Clark's No Other.

Artist:Album:Label:Apple Music Link:
SpoonLucifer On The SofaMatadorLucifer On The Sofa
Queens Of The Stone AgeIn Times New Roman...MatadorIn Times New Roman...
Water From Your EyesEveryone's CrushedMatadorEveryone's Crushed
InterpolThe Other Side Of Make-BelieveMatadorThe Other Side Of Make-Believe
The NationalFirst Two Pages Of Frankenstein4ADFirst Two Pages Of Frankenstein
The NationalLaugh Track4ADLaugh Track
PixiesDoolittle4ADDoolittle
Lucy DacusHome Video4ADHome Video
Bartees StrangeFarm To Table4ADFarm To Table
Future IslandsPeople Who Aren't There Anymore4ADPeople Who Aren't There Anymore
Tkay MaidzaSweet Justice4ADSweet Justice
DaughterStereo Mind Game4ADStereo Mind Game
The LibertinesUp The BracketRough TradeUp The Bracket
CASISDEADFamous Last WordsXLFamous Last Words
IbeyiSpell 31XLSpell 31
OvermonoGood LiesXLGood Lies
YaejiWith A HammerXLWith A Hammer
FKA TwigsCAPRISONGSYoungCAPRISONGS
RomyMid AirYoungMid Air
SamphaLahaiYoungLahai

Just to give an idea of what could potentially be in the pipeline, here's a (likely incomplete) listing of all the Atmos mixes I could find on Apple Music from Beggars-associated labels. I'm pretty sure these are all genuine (as in not upmixed/derived from stereo). Of course, there are also the out-of-print 5.1 mixes of Love & Rockets' Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven and Gene Clark's No Other.

Artist:Album:Label:Apple Music Link:
SpoonLucifer On The SofaMatadorLucifer On The Sofa
Queens Of The Stone AgeIn Times New Roman...MatadorIn Times New Roman...
Water From Your EyesEveryone's CrushedMatadorEveryone's Crushed
InterpolThe Other Side Of Make-BelieveMatadorThe Other Side Of Make-Believe
The NationalFirst Two Pages Of Frankenstein4ADFirst Two Pages Of Frankenstein
The NationalLaugh Track4ADLaugh Track
PixiesDoolittle4ADDoolittle
Lucy DacusHome Video4ADHome Video
Bartees StrangeFarm To Table4ADFarm To Table
Future IslandsPeople Who Aren't There Anymore4ADPeople Who Aren't There Anymore
Tkay MaidzaSweet Justice4ADSweet Justice
DaughterStereo Mind Game4ADStereo Mind Game
The LibertinesUp The BracketRough TradeUp The Bracket
CASISDEADFamous Last WordsXLFamous Last Words
IbeyiSpell 31XLSpell 31
OvermonoGood LiesXLGood Lies
YaejiWith A HammerXLWith A Hammer
FKA TwigsCAPRISONGSYoungCAPRISONGS
RomyMid AirYoungMid Air
SamphaLahaiYoungLahai
I would guess it'd be under the same country limitations?

QOTSA would be awesome.

Last edited:
Back