Stereo (prerecorded) Reels, mono, too

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone unfamiliar, two track mono tapes are NOT compatible with decks that play standard 4-track (NOT Quad) 2ch stereo reels.

As for going the other way: I played a stereo reel on a mono deck and I only got one channel of the stereo signal, IIRC.

Actually, you can play twin track stereo on a quarter track stereo deck, they are stacked the same way, just lower signal and a bit more hiss. Where you run into problems is early stereo tapes were staggered, not stacked. Foe example, the crosstalk on early attempts at stacked stereo heads was so poor that the only way to have a quality twin track tape was to stagger two mono playback heads, one upside down, like on Webcor mono decks that could reverse without flipping the reels. Akai made a deck that could play stacked, staggered, twin track, quarter track, mono and stereo. Too bad it was a mechanical deck like the Sony's and the head was softer too. Not too many survive and fewer techs to do mechanical overhauls.Getting idlers resurfaced or rebuilt is not cheap either.

Those UK mono tapes were meant to be played on these things. I lost mine somehow, but still have the owner manual.

[imagine how disappointed I was to get this p.o.s. for xmas, instead of the Teac I had requested!]

Attachments

• arvin1.jpg
    arvin1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 68
  • arvin2.jpg
    arvin2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 69
Doors. Excellent fidelity for the speed.

Attachments

• doors_full.jpg
    doors_full.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 74
Wow, wasn't this thread called listening to now on reel or something, and now it's just a zombie out in the middle of nowhere... the gorts strike again.

I have a Teac A2300SX which runs perfectly still, with about 50 pre recorded reels - 60-70's pop and rock which I've bought from ebay. It has the wooden side panels-it looked hot. As part of a great stereo system back in that day, it was designed to impress especially young women.

I think the open reel tapes have a warmer sound than the same digital compact disc of the same album.

I also have the Teac add on sound on sound/echo component for it.

I loved Dekorder I never had any problems with their tape decks.

Back