Steven Wilson Steven Wilson on Bob Lefsetz Podcast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilberforce55

Steven Wilson is interviewed for almost two hours on the latest Bob Lefsetz podcast. As well as talking about his career, he spends an enormous amount of time discussing how he got into mixing, and 5.1, and commentary on the state of the industry.

A must listen for anyone on this forum

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119... Podcast&keyid[1]=Jake Gold&sc=podcast_widget

‎The Bob Lefsetz Podcast on Apple Podcasts

Steven Wilson

The Bob Lefsetz Podcast on Stitcher

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/9ff4fb19-54d4-41ae-ae7a-8a6f8d3dafa8/The-Bob-Lefsetz-Podcast

That was fascinating! Thanks for posting--so much to unpack there.

Around an hour in, Wilson mentions he's currently working on a surround mix of a "big American record from the '90s that sold a lot of copies" where some songs were recorded on four 24-track machines synced together. Does anyone have a guess as to what this might be?

That was fascinating! Thanks for posting--so much to unpack there.

Around an hour in, Wilson mentions he's currently working on a surround mix of a "big American record from the '90s that sold a lot of copies" where some songs were recorded on four 24-track machines synced together. Does anyone have a guess as to what this might be?
Makes me think Queensryche, possibly Empire.

My WAG is Nirvana's Nevermind.

As cool as that would be, I doubt it--Wilson has mentioned in the past that he's not a fan of '90s grunge music, and I'd be surprised if there are enough layers on it to fill four 24-tracks(!). @The56Kid may well be right about Queensryche--Geoff Tate announced that a 30th Anniversary box set of Empire was in the works back in September 2019. It must've been delayed due to COVID.
Rock Confidental: Geoff, how is the anniversary box set of [Queensrÿche’s] Empire coming along? I recall you mentioning something was in the works.

Geoff Tate: Yeah, that will be released in the first quarter of 2020. It’s done. Its got a lot of bonus content, live tracks and liners. You’re gonna love it. I look forward to performing Empire next year because there’s songs on there that I’ve never performed live. Some of them I have never performed since we recorded them. It’s going to be special. I mean we’re opening with the Rage For Order album. It’s going to be fun.

Drums alone could get you 1/2 way or more to filling up 24 tracks...
Anyway, I hope it's not Empire...
True on the drums, but that still leaves 12 tracks for Kurt’s vocals (maybe 2 tracks?) and guitar (maybe 3 tracks) along with more than likely one bass track.

I for one wouldn’t mind Empire. Don’t own any variant of it, but it would sing with a good Wilson mix.

What about Michael Jackson's Dangerous? It'll be its 30th and he always has a ton of different things that could take up that many machines.

As cool as that would be, I doubt it--Wilson has mentioned in the past that he's not a fan of '90s grunge music, and I'd be surprised if there are enough layers on it to fill four 24-tracks(!). @The56Kid may well be right about Queensryche--Geoff Tate announced that a 30th Anniversary box set of Empire was in the works back in September 2019. It must've been delayed due to COVID.

While I like Empire, I much prefer Operation Mindcrime. I understand how the business works and 'if' it is Empire I hope it then leads to OM in 5.1. I did ask the band on fb when OM's 30th was coming up and they said the rights were still controlled by the record company.

Has Steven Wilson ever expressed an opinion on Queensryche?

Back