Steven Wilson Steven Wilson on Bob Lefsetz Podcast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm late to this thread, and I have nothing to add to the speculation about the "big American album" that Steven's currently working on, but I'd like to say that I'm just now listening to the Lefsetz podcast, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I already admired Steven Wilson, mostly based on being a fan of his surround mixes, but he really comes across in this podcast as a down to earth music fan, as much as an expert. He's also very generous here with his knowledge, explaining his process and approach, with background on the projects and personalities he's worked with, in a very forthright, entertaining way. If you haven't listened to this yet, by all means do. It's well worth the time (pushing two hours) for any surround fan.

I'm with the people hoping for a cracking mix of Pearl Jam's Ten - but can't convince myself they would have used all those tracks; but what would I know! I love R.E.M. but can settle 'merely' for 5.1 for Out of Time.
If we were ever to get a surround sound mix of Pearl Jam - Ten, it’s a fairly sure bet that it would be mixed by Adam Kasper or Josh Evans. If a mix exists from before 2019 then it is likely a Kasper mix. Since then, Evans has known involvement with the Gigaton Atmos mix and 5.1 mixes of a few live concerts that have been streamed via Nugs.net.

I'm late to this thread, and I have nothing to add to the speculation about the "big American album" that Steven's currently working on, but I'd like to say that I'm just now listening to the Lefsetz podcast, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I already admired Steven Wilson, mostly based on being a fan of his surround mixes, but he really comes across in this podcast as a down to earth music fan, as much as an expert. He's also very generous here with his knowledge, explaining his process and approach, with background on the projects and personalities he's worked with, in a very forthright, entertaining way. If you haven't listened to this yet, by all means do. It's well worth the time (pushing two hours) for any surround fan.

If you enjoyed this interview, for the reasons you outline, I really recommend you check out the podcast series “the album years” by Wilson and Tim Bowness (Wilson & Bowness have made albums together under the moniker “No-Man”). That’s just really the two of them geeking out and arguing about music. Both enjoyable and informative.

Makes me think Queensryche, possibly Empire.
@The56Kid may well be right about Queensryche--Geoff Tate announced that a 30th Anniversary box set of Empire was in the works back in September 2019. It must've been delayed due to COVID.

Well, the mystery early-90s American album that SW has remixed definitely isn't Queensryche's Empire or Operation Mindcrime. Super Deluxe Editions of both albums appear to be coming at the end of June, unfortunately with no surround content included.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...ditions-of-mindcrime-and-empire-6-25.1086763/

It's not The Black Album either – well at least not as a part of the upcoming deluxe 30th anniversary box set (out September 10th, no surround included at all):
https://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/*/The-Black-Album-Remastered-Deluxe-Box-Set/711F0000000
To commemorate its 30th anniversary, the Grammy-winning, 16x platinum-certified Black Album is receiving its definitive re-release. Remastered for ultimate sound quality, The Black Album remaster will be available in multiple configurations including 180 gram Double Vinyl LP, Standard CD and 3 CD Expanded Edition, digital, and Limited Edition Deluxe Box Set (containing the album remastered on 180G 2LP, a picture disc, three live LPs, 14 CDs (containing rough mixes, demos, interviews, live shows), 6 DVDs (containing outtakes, behind the scenes, official videos, live shows), a 120-page hardcover book, four tour laminates, three lithos, three guitar picks, a Metallica lanyard, a folder with lyric sheets, and a download card).

Last edited:
OK, maybe there is a chance of the 5 album videos to have a surround track, but that would be even more WTH choice methinks:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622_212323.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622_212323.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 75
I gotta concede--reluctantly, 'cause I'm not a GnR fan--that all the clues point to UYI. Still: even though it doesn't fit many of the requisite criteria (apart from the fact that the band is American, and the album moved a lot of units, not to mention butts), I want to show some love on this thread for ATCQ. Low End Theory could sound great in surround.

Speaking of Low End Theory: mein Gott, we're all getting old. Never mind all the fiftieths being marked this year--how in hell did this album get to be 30?! I am Buggin' Out!!
https://www.theringer.com/2021/9/24/22690923/low-end-theory-anniversary-bob-power-tribe-called-questhttps://music.apple.com/us/station/episode-39/ra.1585242863

Last edited:
Around an hour in, Wilson mentions he's currently working on a surround mix of a "big American record from the '90s that sold a lot of copies" where some songs were recorded on four 24-track machines synced together. Does anyone have a guess as to what this might be?

Did we ever find the answer to this question? A lot of time has passed since the first post back in 2021.

Back