Stickmen-Deep

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My copy is billed as the Special 2-Disc CD & DVD Edition, barcode 884501864749.

States DVD Full Album 5.1 DTS, Hi-Res 24-bit 96kHz stereo mixes on the back, and a sticker on the wrapping which states "Hi-Res 5.1 & Bonus" on it.

There is a multi-channel 5.1 Hi-Res PCM stream (courtesy of QQ's Neil Wilkes no doubt) which my Denon finds without resorting to switching on the TV. I just had a look, and it can be got to via menus.

Mine was £24.83 from amazon.co.uk

You're a gentleman and a scholar, sir! ;) Thanks!

My copy is billed as the Special 2-Disc CD & DVD Edition, barcode 884501864749.

States DVD Full Album 5.1 DTS, Hi-Res 24-bit 96kHz stereo mixes on the back, and a sticker on the wrapping which states "Hi-Res 5.1 & Bonus" on it.

There is a multi-channel 5.1 Hi-Res PCM stream (courtesy of QQ's Neil Wilkes no doubt) which my Denon finds without resorting to switching on the TV. I just had a look, and it can be got to via menus.

Mine was £24.83 from amazon.co.uk

You can access the 5.1 MLP stream, without screens at all.
When the disc loads, it defaults to the PLAY option in Audio_TS (if the player supports it) and the stream default is 5.1 @ 24/96.
The Video_TS defaults to the stereo stream as DTS is an optional codec.
Bonus tracks are different language versions of "Crack In The Sky".

Enjoy.

My copy arrived today. Gave just the first two tracks a spin (at lunchtime) and I'm *very* impressed. Stellar job on the mix, Mr Wilkes and the fidelity is top notch. I already know this is going to tick all of my boxes! :)

I've given this a couple of listens, and I'm happy with the purchase. I haven't really been able to sit and pay close attention to the surround mix yet but hope to do so soon.

OK, I played it again (right now) and it DID NOT SKIP!!, although I must b*tch that the packaging is the flimsiest so far and that my DVD arrived with a few scratches...and not very superficial either...

OTOH,
NEIL you da man!!!,
TOP NOTCH MIX!!!!!!
It's more like a 70's QUAD mix(not an "extended Stereo" mix)with all 4 channels going on...
YES!!!!!
This is gonna be played a LOT!!!!

OK, I played it again (right now) and it DID NOT SKIP!!, although I must b*tch that the packaging is the flimsiest so far and that my DVD arrived with a few scratches...and not very superficial either...

OTOH,
NEIL you da man!!!,
TOP NOTCH MIX!!!!!!
It's more like a 70's QUAD mix(not an "extended Stereo" mix)with all 4 channels going on...
YES!!!!!

How many other people had problems with the way this is packaged as mentioned here?
To me this a drag as when mine arrived I tried to take the Dvd out as carefull as possible and I was shocked how many little marks/scratches were on the disk.
I tried putting the disk in the car first and car deck could not even play tracks 3,4, disk error.
This is when I looked more closely at the disk and saw all the marks on it, it was worse then some 2nd hand disk's I received.
I wonder if it's how the disk's have to be stuffed inside this really thin card board.
Not a good design, I assume this was done to save cost but if people have to reorder(ship these back) because of bad product that can't be good for the artist.
sorry for the rant on this but it definitely is disappointing and has soured my purchase of this title and that should not be the case as this is a really well done mix/mastering by Neil W and BJ Cole and rest of team.

OTOH,
NEIL you da man!!!,
TOP NOTCH MIX!!!!!!
YES!!!!!

We deliberately elected to go for an aggressive mix as it seemed to be where the songs wanted to go (not to mention "Big Stereo" ain't surround in my book or BJ's either)
Simon & Andy also did a stellar job in the mastering department as well - they did very little to it in terms of sonic fiddling, no additional nonsense - just enhanced what was there.
A proper mastering job - I wish more were up to their standard.

Ok, I have been debating for a while now whether or not I should buy this disc.

Listened to the album and wasn't that impressed with it, although there are a few songs I would LOVE to hear the surround mix for, particularly "Crack in the Sky"
But at the same time, I've read so many complaints about the packaging, including disc scratches and glue residue really makes me rethink a purchase…

Thoughts?

Ok, I have been debating for a while now whether or not I should buy this disc.

Listened to the album and wasn't that impressed with it, although there are a few songs I would LOVE to hear the surround mix for, particularly "Crack in the Sky"
But at the same time, I've read so many complaints about the packaging, including disc scratches and glue residue really makes me rethink a purchase…

Thoughts?

Well , I'm biased cause I'm a HUGE fan-met Tony in 09 in a PT concert, he was very nice...AND I'm a Stick player (so I know how freakin' difficult it is to do what these guys do)...do what I did, get it and find a jewel case to stick (no pun intended) the disc in...

I am a big fan of this disc. I enjoy the music and the mix is great. I agree with the kap'n about the packaging issue being fairly irrelevant to me. I don't recall there being any issues, in any case.

Back