DIGITAL Suggestions for 'improving' the David Bowie Station to Station 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lennon fan

I thought I would offer this up for discussion as the music was so long awaited and while I understand the dismissal of the surround version my view tends a bit different:)

As I mentioned in another thread, as my Oppo decodes the DTS version, it is a very dry sparse discrete mix in the center channel. As the disc has a low level center channel, this must be boosted severely to match the fronts. Boosted a bit more, the vocal especially but also some drums are more punchy and not processed like the left and right fronts.

The fronts I also fold to the rears, not fully, but to where the mix comes into the room and is not focused directly in front of you with huge echo/reverb in the rears. The echo is still there, making the rears have different info than the front, but it is surprising how cool I think it sounds. I just can't help it, don't want to consider throwing out a great album because of a lackluster mix...but with little effort, I find the surround can still be rewarding, mainly thanks to the center channel.

Don't throw out the album. Listen to the amazing 24/96 analog master stereo mix, and what actually is a pretty cool live show with excellent versions of a few tunes, including a pretty snappy "Waiting for the Man."

DKA, this amazing analog stereo master should be a challenge for you. So let it run through SPEC!

Back