(Surprise) Single Versions of Hit Songs on Quad Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
In the stereo world, it's not unheard of for a record label to issue two (or more?) versions of an album.
Perhaps an early version may leave off an important song that was added later. A well-known example: America's debut album released without "Horse With No Name", their breakthrough #1 single. I also had an early version of Toto's first album containing the single edit of "Hold The Line", not knowing that there existed (or later would exist) a longer cut of the track.

I've found two cases of quad albums containing the single version of the primary hit. In both cases, I've never seen a stereo edition containing the edits (which doesn't mean they don't exist), nor do I believe there are alternate quad editions of these titles containing the longer cuts of each track.

They are:

Burton Cummings -- [S/T] SQ Stand Tall (#10 Billboard, 1977) single edit
MFSB -- TSOP SQ TSOP (#1 Billboard, 1974) single edit

My questions to you are these:

1) Have you found any other such titles?
2) Have you ever found more than one edition of a quad title with respect to song versions therein? (Including imports)

and my Hail Mary . . .

3) Is there an alternate version of Hues Corporation / Rockin' Soul that contains their debut hit "Freedom for the Stallion"? (Perhaps in a country other than US?)

I get that the likelihood of #3 is very slim, but since there IS such a release in the stereo world, it's not impossible.
I would include with #2 different takes or mixes, anything that makes the track substantially different.

Thanks!

The quad Chicago IX has the single version of "Make Me Smile" which, of course, was two separate songs on the second album, edited into one for the single release (and their first real hit, from 1970).

As a rule, though, you usually get longer, nor shorter, versions on quad Lp's, although *most* of the time there isn't really a significant difference between stereo and quad timings of particular cuts. The exceptions, of course, are quite notable, from Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" to Aretha's "Chain Of Fools".

As for Hues, "Rock The Boat" was added to ROCKIN' SOUL to help sell the album just as "Horse" was added to America to sell that one. Timing has a lot to do with decisions like that, but as a rule, what you get here is also what you'd get overseas. There are exceptions where tracks were added--The Box Tops' second album in the UK had "The letter" added as a bonus cut, but that's an uncommon thing.

ED :)

Howdy, I have the Canadian release of the Hues Corporation Rockin Soul and it does not have the song Freedom for the Stallion on it. It does have Rock The Boat though.

ken

Back