HiRez Poll Talking Heads - BRICK [DVD-A DualDiscs]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Talking Heads - BRICK

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Still trying to digest all of this....but my God it's a ten so far.
The biggest stand out so far....The alternate version of Burning Down the House......It's unreal....mindblowingly great. :eek: :mad:@: :banana:

Totally Agree it awsome in a 80's EP done in 5.1 sort of way!!!!!(y)

As I stated in the "What did you get for Christmas" post, I finally got my "Brick."

I was very familiar with this poll having viewed it over the years so I felt that my mind may have been skewed toward giving this a high rating. I decided to digest these discs in reverse order starting with "Naked" and going backwards.

Well my friends, once "Blind" started to play, I knew that this was going to be fun! As stated many a time in the poll, "Stuff comes from every direction" and then some. What a mix and breath of fresh air. No, I am not sorry that it took me this long to grab it. I am having too much fun with this in a time when new things are scarce.

Yes, the "Brick" as a whole is a 10.
In my humble opinion, as not having been a follower of Talking Heads, each disc rates a 10 or very close. They must be one of the tightest rhythm sections of all time.:smokin

I have not got the brick but i do have all the discs in the set as EU double discs, and they are great. There is not a bad disc in the set only the first disc is a bit light on surround owing as much to the way it was recorded as much as anything else. The rest really are opened up in great ways kudos to the surround team on this.

I am not sure what additional packaging comes with the brick, as I assume the booklets for each disc are the same. as such i can not really vote on the the brick as such though I would give it a 10 probably. I would have no reason to dock points for sound quality Mix or extras.

Last edited:
I think I gave it a 9 because I did find the 5.1 mix of Little Creatures (in particular) not quite true to the original. "The Lady Don't Mind" (from memory has a different ending than the original.

This set just blows me away. Great mch mixes and awesome bass- some of the best bess tones I've heard, nice and round, totally phat. This set and the 70-75 Genesis box are the crown jewels of my mch collection, not that there aren't other discs I love as much, but for the completeness as well. And TH music just seems made for surround.

I had 3 of their albums and Stop Making Sense on cd and dvd- all of which I loved. Why the hell did I not look into their other albums? Beats me. But when I got the Brick, I realized how foolish I had been. But that just made the other albums that much more fun and the Brick that much more endearing. What a thrill to first hear those others for the 1st time with those amazing mixes.

In my opinion to vote (I voted also) a box, where all discs can be voted spereately makes no sense for me.
It is in the top ten with Speaking In Tongues and Remain In Light. :mad:@:

In my opinion to vote (I voted also) a box, where all discs can be voted separately makes no sense for me.
It is in the top ten with Speaking In Tongues and Remain In Light. :mad:@:

The release of the BOX pre-dates the release of the individual discs, therefore the poll was created. Deleting the poll because the discs were subsequently released individually "makes no sense to me". This vote is on the set as a whole.

well.. I have the Brick and all the European CD+DVDA sets and I can safely say, as pretty as the Brick is, I much prefer the 2-disc approach of the individual releases (5 of the 2-disc sets were from Warner and 3 released by EMI.. a bit like a Super Mario & Sonic The Hedgehog collaboration.. unlikely.. almost unthinkable.. but brilliant when it happens!) over the DualDiscs in the Brick.

there is greater flexibility over what you can do with the two separate discs (as ever an advantage of CD/DVDA combos over DualDisc) but in this instance the packaging of each set is that bit nicer, the Brick discs are in unique white plastic jewel cases with blank rears so there are no rear inlays, which is unusual but not my cup of tea.

ok so for the purposes of the QQ Polls, there's no difference between the Brick and CD/DVDA sets as far as content, surround mix and fidelity go, etc.. but for the reasons of convenience, flexibility, aesthetics etc I prefer the individual 2-disc sets.. though that's not to say I'd give the Brick a "9" and all of the individual releases a "10".. oh dear.. what point was I trying to make!? :eek:

well.. I have the Brick and all the European CD+DVDA sets and I can safely say, as pretty as the Brick is, I much prefer the 2-disc approach of the individual releases (5 of the 2-disc sets were from Warner and 3 released by EMI.. a bit like a Super Mario & Sonic The Hedgehog collaboration.. unlikely.. almost unthinkable.. but brilliant when it happens!) over the DualDiscs in the Brick.

there is greater flexibility over what you can do with the two separate discs (as ever an advantage of CD/DVDA combos over DualDisc) but in this instance the packaging of each set is that bit nicer, the Brick discs are in unique white plastic jewel cases with blank rears so there are no rear inlays, which is unusual but not my cup of tea.

ok so for the purposes of the QQ Polls, there's no difference between the Brick and CD/DVDA sets as far as content, surround mix and fidelity go, etc.. but for the reasons of convenience, flexibility, aesthetics etc I prefer the individual 2-disc sets.. though that's not to say I'd give the Brick a "9" and all of the individual releases a "10".. oh dear.. what point was I trying to make!? :eek:

What I was trying to say is, that the releases are different from a surround point of view.
Therefore we discover different votings for the single discs.
For me, it tells me much more about the quality of a single release, instead of a voting for a box.
Ähmm...:confused:

The box with the etched writing on is the coolest.....

I agree pity they're Dualdisc....

What I was trying to say is, that the releases are different from a surround point of view.
Therefore we discover different votings for the single discs.
For me, it tells me much more about the quality of a single release, instead of a voting for a box.
Ähmm...:confused:

point taken.. but would you say there are wild variations in quality (surround mix, fidelity) from disc to disc? I don't think there are, so an "8" say for the box averages out nicely between the 8 discs, allowing me to knock off 2 points from the perfect "10" for it being DualDisc ;)

What's the problem with the dual discs in this set?
I agree I would've rather had DVD-A\CD but that doesn't in any way diminish the set and I'm sure NOT going to re-buy just for that reason.
(although I thought about it some years back ;) )

I agree I would've rather had DVD-A\CD but that doesn't in any way diminish the set and I'm sure NOT going to re-buy just for that reason.

The problem with the dualdiscs is that they are dualdiscs & not redbook compliant. One of my laptops won't play them....(as an example).

Yup, DualDisc's are a pain in the arse. If you're lucky enough to have players that lay them without issue, which to be fair is a fair amount of players, you won't have an issue. But I can't play any of them in my car or iMac as slot loading drives REALLY hate DualDiscs (due to the thickness of the discs). So, of the few that I own (Björk's "___Surrounded" box set, P!nk's "I'm Not Dead"), if I want to play them in a slot loader, it's a case of ripping them to MP3 and/or burning a regular CD. Not a huge hardship, I grant you, but a waste of effort.

And whenever I get a new drive/player, there's that horrible moment where you test to see whether the drive will play nicely with a DualDisc or eat it up for supper :yikes

Back