The Difference Between High-Fidelity And 2-Channel Stereo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truck451

What is the difference between High-Fidelity and 2-Channel Stereo?
For instance, beginning in the late 1940's; several AM Stations, and some early FM Stations had begun to transmit their signals in High Fidelity.
Was High Fidelity what had precedes 2-Channel Stereo?
Another instance is the Crosley Broadcasting Corporation in this Brochure that they had published in the 1960's; advertising that they had converted their flagship 50 kilowatt AM Station WLW-AM into transmitting their signal in High-Fidelity in January, 1959:
Croasley Broadcasting Brochure From The 1960's

The answer is explicitly stated in the brochure you linked under the heading "Highest Fidelity Radio."

"...a sound spectrum that ranges from 20 to 20,000 cycles- able to take in the lowest organ note of record and feathery high sounds close to the point of inaudibility..."

It has everything to do with frequency response and nothing to do with number of channels.

I don't know how old you are, but when I was a little kid in 1959, when this pamphlet was published, I can remember that a "hi-fi" meant an expensive audio hobbiest setup with a separate components and a big full-range speaker.

Favored by young bachelors with good jobs, like school teachers, or higher income married guys to go with their sports cars and golf clubs.

These were mono systems, stereo came in a few years later for most consumers.

Back