The Fate of Tower Records

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splinter7

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Will there be any "record stores" left?

Struggling Tower Recordsfacing merchandise cutoff
By DALE KASLER
Sacramento Bee
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - When Tower Records was on the brink of a financial meltdown three years ago, the music industry rallied around the retailer.

Record-company executives, owed millions of dollars by Tower, quickly agreed on a plan to keep supplying the legendary retailer with music as it worked out a financial restructuring.

But last week, when Tower decided it wouldn't pay its debts to the record companies, the industry struck back. Industry sources said the four major music conglomerates halted product shipments to Tower, which is based in West Sacramento. The move prompted speculation among industry executives, who gathered over the weekend at their annual convention in Florida, that Tower could go into liquidation.

The record companies' response speaks volumes about how much the industry has changed in just three years. As music is more and more a creature of big-box discounters and the Internet, traditional retailers like Tower matter less and less.

"Retail is less relevant and is almost becoming irrelevant," said Barry Sosnick, who runs a music-industry consulting firm called Earful.info. "The industry can afford to let Tower go under."

Officials at Tower did not return calls seeking comment.

Ten years ago, more than half of all music was sold at specialty retailers like Tower. Now it's below 40 percent and falling, according to the Recording Industry Association of America.

Retailers such as Musicland have gone into bankruptcy in recent years; Tower itself survived a stint in bankruptcy and now owns 89 stores, or fewer than half the stores it had before its problems started in the late 1990s. Tower has three stores in Philadelphia, one in King of Prussia, and one in Cherry Hill. Another 144 stores in nine countries are owned and run by licensees.

On July 28, Tower announced it had made Joseph D'Amico, a turnaround consultant from Chicago, its third new chief executive in four years. It also announced it was for sale.

Now comes the stunning news that Tower has been cut off by the four major record companies: Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group, EMI Group and Sony BMG Music Entertainment.

The shutoff of merchandise means Tower's stores could begin sputtering in a few weeks.

Oddly enough Tower Records rec'd the Large Retailer of the Year award at this year's NARM convention which just concluded this weekend. Voted for by industry members - including those employed by the same 4 majors that have put the ailing retailer on hold - I guess the bean counters did their voting in a more meaningful way.

That's too bad. Obviously this will also affect their online sales as well. I have ordered quite a few things from them online and was very happy with their service. As far as I am concerned though, brick and mortar music stores are not required anymore. As long as there is availability from a large number of retailers online, that is good enough for me. That way I can choose who I order from, even if they are far away in Europe.

If the stores close, i'd sure miss browsing those aisles. i spend a couple lunchtimes there per week, and have done so for many years. nothing like the tactile sensation of thumbing through the racks. They've never been the best on price, but I find I buy from them far more than anywhere else because of great selection and friendly customer service.

If the stores close, i'd sure miss browsing those aisles. i spend a couple lunchtimes there per week, and have done so for many years. nothing like the tactile sensation of thumbing through the racks. They've never been the best on price, but I find I buy from them far more than anywhere else because of great selection and friendly customer service.

Well, over the past year the stores around where I live in Canada, have become useless to me. No new stock and the same titles in stock they had a few years ago. So to me there is nothing lost. Everything I order pretty much is over the internet.

Don't start flying the flag at half mast just yet. The majors have a significant investment in Tower (at least in the USA). They have been down this road before. It all depends on who if anyone is willing to risk the purchase of Tower - the name is a well recognized brand - both in the traditional retail and the online world. They have had at least 5 purchase offers this year - all turned down, more to come I'm sure.

Well, over the past year the stores around where I live in Canada, have become useless to me. No new stock and the same titles in stock they had a few years ago. So to me there is nothing lost. Everything I order pretty much is over the internet.

Yep. Other than the occasional cd on sale, I'm always buying online.

you're right, i definitely agree with regard to multichannel stuff, and since this is a quad board i guess that is the crux of the biscuit. i was really thinking more in terms of being able to browse harder-to-locate non-mch stuff like "wounded bird", "sundazed", "collector's choice" or "rhino-handmade" label releases for example. tower is the only brick n' mortar place i know of in san diego to find those regularly. but for mch, i go online almost exclusively.

Kind of sad, reflects how much the merchandising world has changed. Specific memories of Tower Records on Sports Arena Blvd...

Early 1973 when DSOTM was new; all Capitol Island LPs were $2.99 and I brought home Obscured By Clouds, Traffic - Shootout At The Fantasy Factory, Free - Heartbreaker, Mike Harrison - Smokestack Lightning and another copy of DSOTM for a gift. Always great sales and excitement; going to the store was always an event.

1973-1975 - walking straight to the quad tape wall and mavelling at all the titles I could buy. Summer 1973 when WEA started putting out titles was such a big rush. 1975 - grabbing Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow Q8 tape and playing it in the parking lot for the very first time.

All good memories that thankfully obscure the Tower Records experiences of the last 2-3 years. The marked up DVD-As selling at $20-$25, the electronics items and other commodities that made the stores look like some desperate bazzar of a marketplace.

Last edited:
I remember being sent to LA for a class, and driving my rental car down Sunset Strip. Seeing the Tower Records there freaked my out, and I had to go in. It had to be around 1979. There were LPs displayed in stacks on the floor, still in their cardboard shipping boxes. It was SO COOL!! There were aisles of LPs, deep catalog, cutouts, and still a small Q8 wall.

The big difference from that time to the present is the pricing. Back then, Tower had great sales, and I don't recall them charging list price for much of anything. Today, now that they expanded, the few Towers I stop into when I travel have the high "Musicland" pricing on their product, although they may have a title or two on sale, the sale price can usually be beat in a warehouse store or via mail order.

It's a shame. In order to keep up with the "rent", and fight the internet, they had to raise prices, yet raising prices is what doomed so many brick and mortar stores. There really was no way to "win".

There are still a few "Record Stores" alive.

In New England there is http://www.newburycomics.com/

I still go there 1-2 times a weeks and can find used SACD & DVD-A's for $10 or so. The selection is much deeper than Best Buy and the prices are close.

I just stopped by the local Tower because of their signs that said 10% to 30% off. All CDs (and the few DVD-As) are only 10% off, which doesn't make them much of a deal.

I just stopped by the local Tower because of their signs that said 10% to 30% off. All CDs (and the few DVD-As) are only 10% off, which doesn't make them much of a deal.

yep, the irony is that you could sometimes find a decent price at Tower when a title was "on-sale", but they've taken everything off-sale - - and 10% off their regular prices is no deal. the San Diego store was packed this weekend with people apparently thinking they were getting hot deals. very bizarre.

on the other hand, if they do it like Sam Goody the discount will get larger as the weeks go by and the inventory shrinks. i was eventually able to pick up a couple high-priced box sets at Sam Goody for 60% off, but i had to be real patient (and a little lucky).

Went back to Tower yesterday and the discount on classical and pop/rock is up to 15% off, while for jazz it is 20% off. The discounts will be increasing as time goes on.

I am waiting for 30% to get the Steve Miller FLAE!

Back