The new-case Hex-amp and Surround Master V3 (Yes, we're FINALLY building the new stock)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overture

QQ Supporter
Ahoy there,

Good news everyone. The new stock is beginning the assembly phase, finally. Still waiting on some additional knobs (aren't we all?) but I've built the first of each, with the new extruded case, new feet and so on. It's looking...schmick, imho. If you have an active preorder, we're finally getting them out the door REAL soon.

Here are some pics:

PXL_20230710_045758429_resize.jpg

PXL_20230710_045627667_resize.jpg

PXL_20230710_045659345_resize.jpg

PXL_20230710_050158773_resize.jpg

PXL_20230710_050205253.MP_resize.jpg

Peace, love and Ringo Starr,

~D

Ahoy there,

Good news everyone. The new stock is beginning the assembly phase, finally. Still waiting on some additional knobs (aren't we all?) but I've built the first of each, with the new extruded case, new feet and so on. It's looking...schmick, imho. If you have an active preorder, we're finally getting them out the door REAL soon.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 93718

View attachment 93717

View attachment 93715

View attachment 93716

View attachment 93714

~D
YEEEEE HOOOO!!!!!!

Ahoy there,

Here are some pics:

View attachment 93718

View attachment 93717

View attachment 93715

View attachment 93716

View attachment 93714

~D
Brilliant stuff!

Ahoy there,

Here are some pics:

View attachment 93718

View attachment 93717

View attachment 93715

View attachment 93716

View attachment 93714

~D
Silly question Dave, but If I were to use the SM with the HexAmp how would I control the overall volume? The only overall control on the SM is the Level control on the SM which sets the optimum input condition before clipping?

Silly question Dave, but If I were to use the SM with the HexAmp how would I control the overall volume? The only overall control on the SM is the Level control on the SM which sets the optimum input condition before clipping?
The Level control on the Surround Master controls input to the processing, yes - however I've yet to clip out the SM before the amp is deep into soft clipping. The output level of the SM should have more than enough swing. I'll do a bit of additional testing, but the amp is just a power amp.

The Level control on the Surround Master controls input to the processing, yes - however I've yet to clip out the SM before the amp is deep into soft clipping. The output level of the SM should have more than enough swing. I'll do a bit of additional testing, but the amp is just a power amp.
But having set the Input Level knob (using its LED indication and backing off a bit as you've previously advised) for a given source you cannot then use it to adjust volume can you? If you use the SM with the HexAmp you need another overall volume control somewhere don't you? I've always wondered why the SM didn't have an overall volume knob in addition to the individual channel controls, it means you can't actually use it as a pre-amp.

Its because you are then controlling the overall volume of 6 channels which can be done but it really increases complication. At the moment you can set all 6 output volume knobs to roughly where you want it and do the overall adjust by the input level knob. Its a feature for the super surround pre amp.

Its because you are then controlling the overall volume of 6 channels which can be done but it really increases complication. At the moment you can set all 6 output volume knobs to roughly where you want it and do the overall adjust by the input level knob. Its a feature for the super surround pre amp.
Hi Chucky, yes, as an engineer I know it's not easy but that doesn't mean it's not vital! I'm a big fan of the SM (I've got several of them!) but it really is awkward to use on a routine basis unless you also have a preamp along with it. Sorry, but to suggest that you carefully set the thing up with the Level control but can then randomly fiddle with the very same control to alter the volume is frankly, just silly - and a bit of a cop out. If the input level matching actually isn't that important, as this seems to suggest, then why not dispense with the LED and rename the knob "Volume"?! Rant over.

Err actually the good ol SM was always intended to be a moderately priced accessory and not as a pre amp but admittedly many people tend to use it as a pre amp as it is 90% there in basic terms. Hey Soundfield, I am not sure where our publicity claims to be a pre amp- it was not written by me and the literary types can get things wrong sometimes as you would know!! I agree our not moving to an all in one 6 channel volume control on the output is a cop out and we will do it on the future super preamp.

Its one of the reasons Dave the Bitch has spent 60% of his time over the last year or so developing the mini pre amp as I believe it will form the core of the super pre amp less a bunch of fancy features. In addition, it ties into our new case and blends with the mini monster amp and new SM (Gosh darn wowsers they are looking good). I am thinking about what features to go in the next generation SM but its probably one or two years off given our schedule.

Please remember Involve is in fact 2 sister companies orbiting each other with Zenaji the solar battery company. Currently Involve is carrying $350K of bad debt and has a zero marketing budget with only Me (30%), Dave(100%), Chris(50%), Wayne(90%), John (30%), Dawson(30%) working on Involve stuff. On Zenaji Little Max (100%), Chris(50%), Kali (100%), Ben (100%), John(70%), Ron (100%), Parthe (100%), Perry (100%), Me (70%), Dawson (70%). So our teams are divided and in Involve its only 2 electronic engineers - me and Bitch.

Frankly these days I spend most of my time juggling all sorts of issues and trying to raise funds in a country that only understands sheep, rocks and property. In recent weeks I have personally been paying all wages for both companies as the banks are stuffing us around and high interest rates have crippled domestic sales. Oh, and on the Zenaji side, due to political corruption thats endemic here we are paying lobbyists $10K a month to get sales into government and spending over $100K getting UL approvals into USA. So that's my winge and moan but its the lot of a small R+D/ Manufacture company in a country in the arse end of the world that really has no development culture outside bio med, Bluetooth, cloths lines and lawn mowers.

Personally I really find it frustrating that in both companies we offer non "me too" products that are really superior but get ignored by both the media and politicians (I am not having a go at any one party ). So please understand it really is on the to do list but we also focus on getting product out the door and selling. In many ways I think we are faster than big companies as large teams take more time generally (except NASA going to the moon in 1969)

Err actually the good ol SM was always intended to be a moderately priced accessory and not as a pre amp but admittedly many people tend to use it as a pre amp as it is 90% there in basic terms. Hey Soundfield, I am not sure where our publicity claims to be a pre amp- it was not written by me and the literary types can get things wrong sometimes as you would know!! I agree our not moving to an all in one 6 channel volume control on the output is a cop out and we will do it on the future super preamp.

Its one of the reasons Dave the Bitch has spent 60% of his time over the last year or so developing the mini pre amp as I believe it will form the core of the super pre amp less a bunch of fancy features. In addition, it ties into our new case and blends with the mini monster amp and new SM (Gosh darn wowsers they are looking good). I am thinking about what features to go in the next generation SM but its probably one or two years off given our schedule.

Please remember Involve is in fact 2 sister companies orbiting each other with Zenaji the solar battery company. Currently Involve is carrying $350K of bad debt and has a zero marketing budget with only Me (30%), Dave(100%), Chris(50%), Wayne(90%), John (30%), Dawson(30%) working on Involve stuff. On Zenaji Little Max (100%), Chris(50%), Kali (100%), Ben (100%), John(70%), Ron (100%), Parthe (100%), Perry (100%), Me (70%), Dawson (70%). So our teams are divided and in Involve its only 2 electronic engineers - me and Bitch.

Frankly these days I spend most of my time juggling all sorts of issues and trying to raise funds in a country that only understands sheep, rocks and property. In recent weeks I have personally been paying all wages for both companies as the banks are stuffing us around and high interest rates have crippled domestic sales. Oh, and on the Zenaji side, due to political corruption thats endemic here we are paying lobbyists $10K a month to get sales into government and spending over $100K getting UL approvals into USA. So that's my winge and moan but its the lot of a small R+D/ Manufacture company in a country in the arse end of the world that really has no development culture outside bio med, Bluetooth, cloths lines and lawn mowers.

Personally I really find it frustrating that in both companies we offer non "me too" products that are really superior but get ignored by both the media and politicians (I am not having a go at any one party ). So please understand it really is on the to do list but we also focus on getting product out the door and selling. In many ways I think we are faster than big companies as large teams take more time generally (except NASA going to the moon in 1969)
Hi Chucky, I didn't say that you had promoted the SM as a pre-amp, just that the expectation that it would be used without one slightly overplayed its ability to be universally integrated with all existing audio systems. I just feel that using it with a power amp alone is less than ideal ergonomically, and you seem to agree. I fully recognise the constraints and challenges that you as a small company face, not the least of which being the ability to recover development costs. I am not throwing rocks, quite the reverse - I've always championed your remarkable achievements and perseverance in this niche market and am a proud owner of your products. Just stick a bloody volume knob on the next one OK?!

If we're thinking about things to do in expansion, one thing that I would like to see made is a modern equivalent to something like a Marantz 4000 surround preamp. Much of the old quad gear has amplification built in for either front or back or all channels and gets limited. The 4000 is just a preamp, no amplification, and is flexible.

My pie in the sky device would be something that had:
1. Stereo IN and OUT from the front receiver
2. Stereo IN and OUT from the back receiver
3. Multiple 4 channel in and outs from the unit
4. 4 channel scope outs
5. Input selector from front 2 channel, rear 2 channel, or 4 channel in
6. Mode selector from 2>4 channel SQ, 2>4 channel QS, 4>4 channel discrete, 2> Mirrored 2 channel, 4 speaker mono, 2>4ch"Vari Matrix" style pseudo quad with dial from difference to sum functions.

Things the 4000 has I'd omit. I'd lose the meters, and the speaker pass through.

The Involve SM3 does 1, half of 2, not 3, not 4, half of 5, half of 6.

Now, the SM3 will work very well with my 4000, so I have no issues with current design, but this is a daydreaming idea.

Back