Tidal - MQA -> FLAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
https://www.pocket-lint.com/tidal-switches-to-flac-for-hi-res-audio-so-what-about-the-mqa-catalogue/

This is probably old news, but so far, I haven't read about plans to decode the (Tidal) MQA content and "re-encode/pack" the content into FLAC format data/music files for streaming.

Technically easy, but maybe agreements have been signed that prevent this type of conversion.

Kirk Bayne
It presumably also wouldn't be entirely lossless compared to going back to the masters and creating new sets of high-rez files, but maybe I'm wrong.

I’m not entirely up to speed on MQA, but I have read comments elsewhere that many MQA high resolution “Master” files on Tidal are artificially inflated lower bitrate files. Not sure how true that is.

I’m not entirely up to speed on MQA, but I have read comments elsewhere that many MQA high resolution “Master” files on Tidal are artificially inflated lower bitrate files. Not sure how true that is.

The seed from where this information came is from this 40+ minute YouTube video and the response video. picture attached shows the cliffs notes of the testing.

I was turned off from MQA from day 1 simply because of the special DAC's needed to "unfold" the high resolution. In this day and of age of modern internet speeds, this was a ridiculous sales pitch that smelled like BS from the beginning.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 6.45.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 6.45.30 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Back