Universal Music Talks Blu Ray Audio with Stereophile

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to Part 2 when they discuss the pop/rock HFPA releases.
I hope this format actually goes places. So far there hasn't been much to enjoy, except for my HFPA copy of "Sea Change" by Beck. Unbelievable! :)

Infuriating elmer, I agree.. though the interviewer updated with this post (no doubt having been deluged with people asking about 5.1..!) which at least shows that for "old stuff" in 5.1 it will be happening on HFPA as a matter of course in future.

5.1 Pure Audio Blu-raysSubmitted by Jason Victor Serinus on March 24, 2014 - 11:42am.
Several people have raised the question, either in private emails or on other forums, as to why, when 5.1, 24/96 masters were available, UMG instead chose to remaster and re-release the material solely in 2-channel 24/96 Pure Audio Blu-ray format (and as 2-channel 24/96 downloads). After all, they could have instead issued a dual-layer Pure Audio Blu-ray that held both 5.1 and 2-channel layers, both mastered in 24/96.

Barry Holden has just informed me that, from here on, when 5.1 masters are available, UMG's hi-res Blu-rays will offer both 5.1 and 2-channel, 24/96 playback options. In addition, probably not before 2015, UMG will re-issue in 5.1, 24/96 Pure Audio Blu-ray format whatever 5.1 material has already been released soley in 2-channel, 24/96 Pure Audio Blu-ray format.

I know that this annoucement leads to further questions, one of which is, for titles already released, how can people who own 5.1 systems tell if the source material was intiially recorded in 5.1, and will thus become available in 5.1 24/96 Pure Audio Blu-ray format in the future? I will have more to say when I hear back.

Ah, Barry is still online. I've also learned that UMG no longer records audio-only 5.1because there is not enough interest in the wider market to justify the expense. Hence all 5.1, 24/96 Pure Audio Blu-ray releases will be of older catalogue material.

as for that last comment about lack of interest/expense producing 5.1, Kal Rubinson felt compelled to wade in with a fantastic retort! take a look at this!

Submitted by Kal Rubinson on March 24, 2014 - 3:02pm.
"Ah, Barry is still online. I've also learned that UMG no longer records audio-only 5.1because there is not enough interest in the wider market to justify the expense. Hence all 5.1, 24/96 Pure Audio Blu-ray releases will be of older catalogue material."

Hmmm. So, "in the wider market" of Blu-ray video, where UMG continues to record operas. ballets and concerts in 5.1, that music will never appear on a Pure Audio Blu-ray even though it is in UMG's possession. That means that I will continue buying regular UMG BDs and playing the HD 5.1 audio with the video off.

Infuriating elmer, I agree.. though the interviewer updated with this post (no doubt having been deluged with people asking about 5.1..!) which at least shows that for "old stuff" in 5.1 it will be happening on HFPA as a matter of course in future.

as for that last comment about lack of interest/expense producing 5.1, Kal Rubinson felt compelled to wade in with a fantastic retort! take a look at this!

I am not infuriated - just bored (hence the yawn) with the excitement or lack thereof with hi - Rez 2.0. Re-releasing old 5.1 titles is of little interest to me as I already own most of them as SACD or DVD-A. There are so many holes in their explanation as Kal notes, that it is sadly amusing.

I look forward to the upcoming Yes, Tull, ELP (hopefully) and the bits and scraps that I can glean from the discoveries of the members here. Sadly, this appears to be our constant condition moving forward - or at least so it seems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not infuriated - just bored (hence the yawn) with the excitement or lack thereof with hi - Rez 2.0. Re-releasing old 5.1 titles is of little interest to me as I already own most of them as SACD or DVD-A. There are so many holes in their explanation as Kal notes, that it is sadly amusing.

I look forward to the upcoming Yes, Tull, ELP (hopefully) and the bits and scraps that I can glean from the discoveries of the members here. Sadly, this appears to be our constant condition moving forward - or at least so it seems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ah fair enough.. well FWIW I'm yawning too, as its past bedtime here.. so time for me to stop yawning and start snoozing! goodnight everyone :)

Back