4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ideal recovery of a lost but released quad mix wound imo be from a Q4, or quad consumer reel - and run through the Plangent Process. This would (I think) clear up one generation of wow and flutter, and be superior to our known and collected Q4 to DVD-A conversions.
The majority of quad albums were never released on Q4, it was simply too expensive.

Yes, I have the 2009 Paranoid DTS 4.0 DVD-Video (apparently made from a CD-4 decode), it's fine (until the new Quadio of course).

I don't have any details about what sort of professional methods and systems are available to reduce the noise from consumer discs and tapes and then use them as "master recordings" to make optical discs, but I'd buy needletrop (and tapedrop?) sourced surround sound Quadio type Bu-rays and DV type SACDs, at least we can get the surround sound mix in a more permanent form.

In the case of decoding QS or SQ, a Sansui QS Variomatrix decoder could be used and also a Tate SQ decoder (in fact, multiple matrix decodes could be placed on the optical discs - SM, Sansui/Tate and then a no logic decode too).

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
In the case of decoding QS or SQ, a Sansui QS Variomatrix decoder could be used and also a Tate SQ decoder (in fact, multiple matrix decodes could be placed on the optical discs - SM, Sansui/Tate and then a no logic decode too).
Record companies don't have any of those, working or otherwise.

I don't know about the availability of QS and SQ hardware decoders other than the Surround Master, there are no logic all software decoders for QS and SQ.

The case for using a no logic decoder - prior to the development of the QS variomatrix system, if a QS mix was monitored through a QS encoded/decode cycle, then the mix would have been "optimized" for no logic decoding (so to speak), and should be made available that way (probably in addition to a logic assisted decode).

Kirk Bayne

Although a bit outside of my usual listening, I pulled the trigger on the new 4 new QUADIO's bundle, and since the 15% off coupon was working, and I wanted free shipping :rolleyes: I decided to top it off with the Deep Purple Machine Head Super Deluxe 3CD/LP/Blu-ray Set. Hopefully the Super Duper Deluxe box set doesn't come out next :SB

I never got into Deep Purple for whatever reason, but I like many other bands from the era, so figured this would be a good way to examine their work, and have some fun with the variety of included surround recordings along the way.

Last edited:
Yes, I have the 2009 Paranoid DTS 4.0 DVD-Video (apparently made from a CD-4 decode), it's fine (until the new Quadio of course).

I don't have any details about what sort of professional methods and systems are available to reduce the noise from consumer discs and tapes and then use them as "master recordings" to make optical discs, but I'd buy needletrop (and tapedrop?) sourced surround sound Quadio type Bu-rays and DV type SACDs, at least we can get the surround sound mix in a more permanent form.

Kirk Bayne
Many of us, many people here have been doing that for years. The idea of an actual record label releasing Quad from records and tapes rather than from masters would have to be done as a last resort. I'm not big on the idea. Personally I prefer to decode on the fly with my various decoders.

As for multiple decodes, the same recording decoded by a Tate and a Sansui Variomatrix decoder would make little sense as they are completely different systems. Or did you mean those vintage decoders up against the Surround Master? Wouldn't you just want the best decode possible? Why a no-logic decode, again you could easily do that yourself.

Don't forget about software decodes, you can do things with software that a hardware decoder can't. Check out our old friend O.D's "The Matrix" site.

- and run through the Plangent Process. This would (I think) clear up one generation of wow and flutter, and be superior to our known and collected Q4 to DVD-A conversions.
The Plangent process could also benefit a high-resolution capture of a Q8 slave copy as well. A good copy tape used for dupes is sometimes there when the master reel is gone as we've even seen with some SACD and DTS releases.

If a record company only has the (matrix/discrete) LP and/or the Q8/cassette tape of a quad mix, I'd restore and use both (and include the matrix encoded stereo too) on a single optical disc of the album.

I would really like to just listen to the (decoded, if applicable) quad mix [restored master tape/restored LP/restored tape, my only QS and SQ decoders are in a ~50 year old QX-747], preferably on a Quadio style Blu-ray audio (DTS core + HD).

I bought the LaserLight needledrop CD back in 1990, it sounds OK, I thought it was quite a clever way to make a CD version of a direct cut disc, Sheffield Lab did this too with 3 of their albums (IMHO, they sound spectacular, although I can hear the noise unique to vinyl when I listen with headphones):
https://sheffieldlab.com/item.php?item_id=45

QS - no logic decode - if a quad mix was monitored through a QS encode/decode cycle before variomatrix decoders were available, then the mix was "optimized" for the limitations of a QS no logic decode and I would want that listening option.

Kirk Bayne

If a record company only has the (matrix/discrete) LP and/or the Q8/cassette tape of a quad mix, I'd restore and use both (and include the matrix encoded stereo too) on a single optical disc of the album.

I would really like to just listen to the (decoded, if applicable) quad mix [restored master tape/restored LP/restored tape, my only QS and SQ decoders are in a ~50 year old QX-747], preferably on a Quadio style Blu-ray audio (DTS core + HD).

I bought the LaserLight needledrop CD back in 1990, it sounds OK, I thought it was quite a clever way to make a CD version of a direct cut disc, Sheffield Lab did this too with 3 of their albums (IMHO, they sound spectacular, although I can hear the noise unique to vinyl when I listen with headphones):
https://sheffieldlab.com/item.php?item_id=45

QS - no logic decode - if a quad mix was monitored through a QS encode/decode cycle before variomatrix decoders were available, then the mix was "optimized" for the limitations of a QS no logic decode and I would want that listening option.

Kirk Bayne
As we've learned [or SHOULD HAVE] there is NO substitute for the original multitrack master tapes when even considering a transfer to higher rez optical disc! The few attempts like the Rick Wakeman DVD~As made from needledrops were mediocre replications of what was actually on those absolute masters.

I think you answered your own question when you used those Sheffield Lab LPs as an example! Putting Vinyl through deticking/de hissing devices, etc. always has aural consequences as you plainly heard through your headphones.

Time and time again when Dutton Vocalion has released their QUAD SACDs mastered from the original analogue masters, QQ posters have unaminously preferred the D~V SACDs over their SQ and CD~4 Vinyl counterparts, HANDS DOWN! And with Rhino's renewed QUADIO BD~A revival, the same applies. CD~4 while discrete had a myriad of issues with those uber fussy decoders which is why a lot of artists at the time shied away from releasing their music in that format as well!

We'd all love to hear a lot of those lost or missing surround albums from the 70's which the majors haphazardly disposed of or were destroyed in various fires but to transfer them from Vinyl or lesser inferior masters would, IMO, prove futile!

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES ....THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING .... THOSE ABSOLUTE MASTER TAPES!

Instead of focusing on what we don't have...let's be grateful for what we do ...and 2024 is turning out to be a bumper crop year for new and older surround releases!

Last edited:
Actually, the Sheffield Lab CDs are much better than I thought they would be, if quad master recordings are lost/destroyed, I'd use the best available restoration techniques on consumer discs/tapes of quad mixes to make the quad mixes available on Quadio type optical discs.

Kirk Bayne

Actually, the Sheffield Lab CDs are much better than I thought they would be, if quad master recordings are lost/destroyed, I'd use the best available restoration techniques on consumer discs/tapes of quad mixes to make the quad mixes available on Quadio type optical discs.

Kirk Bayne
interesting, may have to grab some.

The few attempts like the Rick Wakeman DVD~As made from needledrops were mediocre replications of what was actually on those absolute masters.
The Rick Wakeman quad masters of those albums no longer exist, so it's a needle drop of CD-4 or an SQ decode or Q8 or nothing. And those Wakeman releases had other issues, like the brick wall mastering of the decoded quad, that made the sub standard source the least of their problems.

I was wondering about shipping notices for the newest bundle, but was reluctant to go there just yet.
I really hope all discs get sent in one package (for all bundle orders) - as that would be a sign that they are getting at least some fire under their butts to get it together.

Just got my shipping notice from Rhino for the 4 latest Quadios!
I really hope all discs get sent in one package (for all bundle orders) - as that would be a sign that they are getting at least some fire under their butts to get it together.
In my case, I was given one tracking number for the four new Quadio discs plus the four standalone Atmos Blu-rays. Interestingly, it's being sent via FedEx, rather than the usual UPS Mail Innovations.

Unfortunately, that wasn't my whole order, and I got two other tracking numbers: one for the Joni box, and one for Depeche Mode's Strange & Strange Too Blu-ray. These are the expected UPS MI numbers. Why those are being dispatched separately is anyone's guess. 🤷‍♂️

Side two of “Sextant” from DV was from the SQ master as well.

Actually the entire disc was added in SQ Quad , in addition to the Discrete. A very rare occurrence for any mult channel release.

And we also got the SQ decode of Deodato/Airport Live for a discreet SACD.

17151298597143063500345408953837.jpg

17151297896905281096388418790623.jpg

But let's all not get ahead of ourselves on things that may be done in the future.
I think Rhino knows what to do for us in quad , such as the 2 gifts with the Joni Mitchell Quads, one "unreleased" , and one "newly minted" by Bruce Botnick .
Who here would've guessed a label doing that in these days of ever increasing multi channel disc's ? Certainly not me.

Hopefully more new quad mixes of 70's Iconic albums on WEA are on the way.

Back