Welcome from central Mexico!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
US Expat living in central MX.

Have not one, but TWO quad receivers and not one piece of quad material, lol....

About to begin restoration on my HK 900+ and look forward to leveraging this forum for the knowledge!

-Dean
Greetings from Kansas!
But your profile says Denver?
Anyway do you have 2 HK receivers or what? And if course, what kinda music you like?
Totally optional but there is a place in your profile to list all your cool gear.

Google auto-populated the location when I signed up.

I was in Denver full-time until a couple months ago - finally went back to 100% remote work (software engineer). I still travel back to Denver regularly and will actually be up that way for turkey day.

TWO quad receivers, both Harman/Kardon. A 800+ and a 900+.

Music... man let's see.

I'm a bit of a fanatic for music from the late 70's and 80's. The usual good stuff: Zepplin, Pink Floyd, CCR, etc.. also have a bit of affinity for 90's grunge and rock.

A sucker for everything "MTV Unplugged".

Some newer stuff as well... War on Drugs, Metric, Joy Formidable.

A bit of an audiophile... my main listening system is Rotel pre-amp/amp gear w/ active crossovers connected to some older Martin Logan SL3's.

Few other systems scattered around the house include:

Sansui 2000x, Marantz SR5006, couple pieces of older Denon, Yamaha, etc. Some Advent Legacy's, Prodigies, my beloved Dahlquist DQ-10's and no fewer than 3 pairs of Bose 901's (I know, I know..)

Has crossed my mind more than a few times to wire up my two pairs of Bose 901's to the HK 900+ for a quad experience like no other. But first, need to get the restore done.

Regarding the off-topic stuff... I prefer my whiskey & scotch neat. When I am not writing software, I love spinning wrenches on german cars.

I live in Mexico.... about to build a new house w/ custom listening space of about 4,000 sq feet on the 3rd floor. One of the reasons I got out of the US... I can afford to enjoy life down here.

I am a pretty hard-core tinkerer. I love building custom circuits, crossovers, amps, etc. I also dabble in woodworking and welding.

Politically, I am a hard centrist. Even though that does not seem to be very popular these days.

I personally think some of Pink Floyds best stuff was post-Syd.

I have also lost all respect for Harman/Kardon, JBL, Infinity, etc since Samsung purchased Harman International.

Hope that fills in some of the gaps for my bio :)

Google auto-populated the location when I signed up.

I was in Denver full-time until a couple months ago - finally went back to 100% remote work (software engineer). I still travel back to Denver regularly and will actually be up that way for turkey day.

TWO quad receivers, both Harman/Kardon. A 800+ and a 900+.

Music... man let's see.

I'm a bit of a fanatic for music from the late 70's and 80's. The usual good stuff: Zepplin, Pink Floyd, CCR, etc.. also have a bit of affinity for 90's grunge and rock.

A sucker for everything "MTV Unplugged".

Some newer stuff as well... War on Drugs, Metric, Joy Formidable.

A bit of an audiophile... my main listening system is Rotel pre-amp/amp gear w/ active crossovers connected to some older Martin Logan SL3's.

Few other systems scattered around the house include:

Sansui 2000x, Marantz SR5006, couple pieces of older Denon, Yamaha, etc. Some Advent Legacy's, Prodigies, my beloved Dahlquist DQ-10's and no fewer than 3 pairs of Bose 901's (I know, I know..)

Has crossed my mind more than a few times to wire up my two pairs of Bose 901's to the HK 900+ for a quad experience like no other. But first, need to get the restore done.

Regarding the off-topic stuff... I prefer my whiskey & scotch neat. When I am not writing software, I love spinning wrenches on german cars.

I live in Mexico.... about to build a new house w/ custom listening space of about 4,000 sq feet on the 3rd floor. One of the reasons I got out of the US... I can afford to enjoy life down here.

I am a pretty hard-core tinkerer. I love building custom circuits, crossovers, amps, etc. I also dabble in woodworking and welding.

Politically, I am a hard centrist. Even though that does not seem to be very popular these days.

I personally think some of Pink Floyds best stuff was post-Syd.

I have also lost all respect for Harman/Kardon, JBL, Infinity, etc since Samsung purchased Harman International.

Hope that fills in some of the gaps for my bio :)
Thanks. I think I know about you more than me.

That can depend on how you make the move.

My wife is from central MX (Hidalgo).

Most the stuff I took down south was brought down little-by-little. While the most of MX is about as safe as anywhere in the US, the border is where you have to be careful. Best time for crossing with any kind of trailer is from now onwards to the new year. Lot's of state and federal police to ensure the cartel does not try anything stupid.

I will be bringing a load of some additional stuff down in fact around the 25th.

Certainly a different world, however. Knowing spanish is almost necessary unless you move to a town with lot's of tourists - at which point, you might as well just stay in the US. The real cost-saving is in the inner-country. Current house I am in (renting) while new one is built costs me about $3000 pesos a month (about $150 USD). 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 story, 1 car garage. About 2k sq feet.

Leaves lot's of spare $$ for the important stuff like.. speakers and hifi gear. Although... THAT stuff down HERE can be 2-3 times MORE expensive! So I hoard cool stuff when I go to Denver from Marketplace/CL/etc and bring a few pieces down with me every time. I often sell a couple pieces down here and make-back the cost of the trip.

Example: Bose is a very coveted brand down here. I often snag a few extra Acoustimass-7 sets (with the mini cubes). Small, easy to pack - takes little space in the trailer. I can snag them in Denver for $30-50 a set. Here? I sell 'em like hotcakes for $5000 pesos (about $250) a set. Electronics are kind of expensive here. Anyone who has a Visa and can cross to the US generally heads to the border for purchases of electronics and appliances whenever possible.

Food is cheap. Waaay cheap. Both at the supermarket and eating out... unless you eat at a chain. Then you can expect close-to-US prices.

Getting your 6-month tourist visa to stay here (almost indefineteley) is stupid easy, but a pain since you have to physically go back to the border every 6 months to renew. I finally started the process of my permanent residency - which is not too bad, but I have to head into Mexico City to complete a couple parts. I personally hate Mexico City.

Bringing your US-purchased car into Mexico if you plan to stay here is another ball of wax.. Just buy another car down here or find someone who knows how to handle the import process if you really want your car.

There can be some aspects of the culture that take getting used to - both for the better and worse.

Yeah, I live in a small-ish town, but I also live just 10 minutes from Little Ceasars, Autozone, Walmart, Dominos, Burger Kind, Carls Jr and the 7-Eleven is a 4 minute walk down the road.

Overall, it is not too bad. If you have a trusted friend with you who knows the land - or have family here, it is mostly smooth as butter. But at the end of the day.. where else can I build a 3-story, 5 bedroom luxury home for about the down-payment price on a home in Denver?

Most the stuff I took down south was brought down little-by-little. While the most of MX is about as safe as anywhere in the US, the border is where you have to be careful. Best time for crossing with any kind of trailer is from now onwards to the new year. Lot's of state and federal police to ensure the cartel does not try anything stupid.

I will be bringing a load of some additional stuff down in fact around the 25th.

Certainly a different world, however. Knowing spanish is almost necessary unless you move to a town with lot's of tourists - at which point, you might as well just stay in the US. The real cost-saving is in the inner-country. Current house I am in (renting) while new one is built costs me about $3000 pesos a month (about $150 USD). 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 story, 1 car garage. About 2k sq feet.

Leaves lot's of spare $$ for the important stuff like.. speakers and hifi gear. Although... THAT stuff down HERE can be 2-3 times MORE expensive! So I hoard cool stuff when I go to Denver from Marketplace/CL/etc and bring a few pieces down with me every time. I often sell a couple pieces down here and make-back the cost of the trip.

Example: Bose is a very coveted brand down here. I often snag a few extra Acoustimass-7 sets (with the mini cubes). Small, easy to pack - takes little space in the trailer. I can snag them in Denver for $30-50 a set. Here? I sell 'em like hotcakes for $5000 pesos (about $250) a set. Electronics are kind of expensive here. Anyone who has a Visa and can cross to the US generally heads to the border for purchases of electronics and appliances whenever possible.

Food is cheap. Waaay cheap. Both at the supermarket and eating out... unless you eat at a chain. Then you can expect close-to-US prices.

Getting your 6-month tourist visa to stay here (almost indefineteley) is stupid easy, but a pain since you have to physically go back to the border every 6 months to renew. I finally started the process of my permanent residency - which is not too bad, but I have to head into Mexico City to complete a couple parts. I personally hate Mexico City.

Bringing your US-purchased car into Mexico if you plan to stay here is another ball of wax.. Just buy another car down here or find someone who knows how to handle the import process if you really want your car.

There can be some aspects of the culture that take getting used to - both for the better and worse.

Yeah, I live in a small-ish town, but I also live just 10 minutes from Little Ceasars, Autozone, Walmart, Dominos, Burger Kind, Carls Jr and the 7-Eleven is a 4 minute walk down the road.

Overall, it is not too bad. If you have a trusted friend with you who knows the land - or have family here, it is mostly smooth as butter. But at the end of the day.. where else can I build a 3-story, 5 bedroom luxury home for about the down-payment price on a home in Denver?
Thank you so much for that very thorough assessment. I figured it would require several back and forth trips.

Accurate on most things. I live up north, 2 hours away from Texas. and although I believe drug cartel crimes have been decreased, or maybe they get less media coverage nowadays,
I feel safe. 2009-2011 were awful years with crimes, where it was unsafe to even go to the convenience store.

He's right about for the most part electronics being expensive down here, hence why I found a Klipsch distributor in the US and bought my whole Atmos setup, including the AVR there.

Overall, food is way cheaper here than in the States. A bill on a good steak house on a big city, like Mexico City or Monterrey, would cost you (tip included) around $50-80 for a couple (leaving alcoholic beverages aside).

I do love Mexico City hehe I guess I like chaos, but it's one city where I would never live there. I guess it's like NYC, it's good to visit, but not to live.

Yeah... I took a brief job in NYC back around 2003-2004. I have the same sentiment about NYC as I do CDMX.

I still have not gone down the ATMOS route yet... waiting for the new house (w/ in-wall wiring) before I take the dive w/ ATMOS. Still sporting my humble Pioneer VSX-92TXH (in mere 5.1!!) w/ Infinity Alpha sub/center/front/rear.

I'll likely go the Klipsch route for my next ensemble as well. Klipsch is one of the rare few great American loudspeaker companies that have survived. I have regretted every piece of Klipsch gear I ever got rid of. Every. Single. Piece.

Back