Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, this IS the right place, but there really isn’t a wrong place.

Second, welcome to QQ! I hope you post often, sharing your musical adventures. They seem electronically oriented, and I share your appreciation for some of those groundbreaking recordings.

I was unaware that “Fantastica” had been released in quad. One more to look for. In fact, my copy is mono (a neighbor gave it to me when I was babysitting their kids, about 60 years back).
In actual fact I don’t think it has been released in quad but my recommendation is to listen tothe stereo version in QS dematrixing or Involve dematrixing in the surround master as the spacial (no pun intended ) element is really lovely. I would highly recommend this album just in stereo anyway as it was and remains ahead of its time indeed any time.
First, this IS the right place, but there really isn’t a wrong place.

Second, welcome to QQ! I hope you post often, sharing your musical adventures. They seem electronically oriented, and I share your appreciation for some of those groundbreaking recordings.

I was unaware that “Fantastica” had been released in quad. One more to look for. In fact, my copy is mono (a neighbor gave it to me when I was babysitting their kids, about 60 years back).

Hi all
I hope this is the right place to do this. Apologise if not.
I wanted to introduce my self and my quad set up as a sort of confessional to members. Ive been a member for a while but haven’t really posted. I work as a live sound engineer and mastering engineer. My obsession is surround and quadraphonic audio and my vinyl collection.
Having started with my dad’s Realistic QTA 753 Quadraphonic amp with quadravox and SQ and then moved onto a JVC 5456… I decided that the older amps were becoming a little unreliable ..the JVC especially so. The JVC introduced me to CD4 and I bought a Phlux 2 active Shibata cartridge and a groove sleuth preamp from Phaedrus audio. This thing really works well with CD-4 and tracks magnificently. The groove sleuth also puts out a non RIAA curve signal at an impedence suitable for quality digital interfaces to record and using Stereolab from Pspatial audio one can very adequately decode CD-4 QS and SQ vinyl into separate wav files for digital playback. The CD-4 decoder is use is a National Panasonic SE405 which also acts as a switch for my SACD player running 4 outs from Vocalion Dutton SACDs and my MOTU interface running digital quad files from a Mac book pro. The CD-4 decoding seems to work magnificently and Ive had great success with a bunch of Quadradisc recordings and some interesting JVC discs from East Asian visits (S Korea and Japan)
The turntable is a Rega Planar 3 with new bearings and updated solid PVC platter.
The QS and SQ decoding is done from an Involve Surround master V3 which it does magnificently with a digital input via Toslink or analogue stereo ..Highly recommended. I end up listening to regular stereo recordings through the QS (Involve) decoder on the SMV3 most of the time as it masterfully spreads the signal over 4 channels.
The preamp is an SPL 5.1 mastering monitor controller into a modern Arcam PA410 4 channel power amp.
The room I use for this is small and so I use 2 KEF LS50 meta speakers for mains and some Gallo acoustics from side(rear) speakers. I have an Adam sub 7 for the .1 if I need it from the Surround master. The Kefs and the Gallos have a very solid imaging which i find really helps the quad referencing of sound points in space.
I have been really happy with the set up and it seems stable and reliable now for all the quad formats on vinyl (and SACD)
Many thanks to everyone who contributes to this site as it’s so informative to see what everyone’s using and how they get on with it. I’d love to use my older amps but Ive now found this Neo quad set up is very solid and the only bit of gear from the past i rely on is the Panasonic SE405 which is a great decoder and frankly a superb phono Stage. (Tell this to hifi store owners and they smirk)
Favourite quad albums are my QS encodings of Enoch Lights label Project 3
( especially Spaced out) And Tomitas SACD and quadradisc offerings especially the Planets.
My SQ collection is fairly large but I don’t find the decoding nearly as exciting as QS and CD4 …I believe Wendy Carlos removed her SQ records from circulation.
Favourite stereo album in QS might be Russ Garcias Fantastica
Happy to share great quad album ideas
Best wishes all quad types and happy to see so many keeping the faith.
Welcome! Great to hear from you, thanks for sharing!

Hello, first post.

I just stream music from my NAS to an Nvidia Shield. I've been collecting a handful of SACD's, DVD-A's, and music Blu-Rays over the past 15-20 years. I finally figured out how to rip them to FLAC and play them over HDMI so they're better integrated with the rest of my offline library. That got me interested in surround sound music again. Unfortunately, a lot of the indie music I like is 2-channel only. I am excited to have a bunch of classical music in discrete surround sound at least. (yes I convert the SACD DSD to PCM FLAC just for compatibility's sake)

I may need to try to figure out how to get Apple Music or something to work on the Shield so I can stream the surround/Atmos mixes that seem to be popping up on streaming only.

My system itself is a a quite modest little 4.1 thing. The receiver is a Yamaha RX-A880 connected to an Emotiva 5-channel amp. The speakers are a Polk LSi system. I put some absorptive panels at the first reflection points but otherwise haven't done much acoustically.
Welcome to QQ! How are you converting your DSD to PCM?

In actual fact I don’t think it has been released in quad but my recommendation is to listen tothe stereo version in QS dematrixing or Involve dematrixing in the surround master as the spacial (no pun intended ) element is really lovely. I would highly recommend this album just in stereo anyway as it was and remains ahead of its time indeed any time.
Actually, I wasn’t even aware that “Fantastica” had been released in stereo either! But now it’s definitely something I’ll be searching for. I’m looking forward to putting my SM throughnits paces, and once I get my hands on “Fantastica” in stereo, it’ll definitely be high on the play list.

I’m also a Tomita and Carlos fan. I know Wendy didn’t like what SQ did to “Switched on Bach,” but it was my first quad record and I think it’s cool as all get-out. Tomita’s “Planets” is irreverent to the original (the countdown is pretty whimsical), but still pretty good stuff for one of my favorite pieces of classical music.

Welcome to QQ! How are you converting your DSD to PCM?
Hello, I rip the SACD's using a Sony blu-ray player so I have the ISOs as DSD's. I followed this guide: Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

Then I use foobar decoder to convert. It can either be used to playback SACD/DSD's on computers that only support PCM, or convert the DSD files to PCM.

I found this comparison for the accuracy of the process:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/04/analysis-dsd-to-pcm-2015-foobar-sacd.html
I haven't found any audible difference with DSD vs PCM, or my conversions vs the original SACD's through a dedicated player. I don't think my hearing is that great. I just like the surround sound aspect of the SACD, and the mastering is often better, so this works for me.

THERE'S A QUAD VERSION OF SWITCHED ON BACH?

Goddamn this hobby seems determined to leave me penniless.
certainly is ...its a lovely CBS SQ quad artefact that didn't last long on the shelves I suspect...Id love to hear a discrete version of her quad stuff if it exists....SQ kinda fudges it really ...shes got loads of stuff about her quad experiments on her website which is worth reading and experiments in where rear speakers should go ...her fave rear speaker position as is mine is to the side rather than behind (which is often impractical anyway)

Hello from rainy England! I’ve only just recently got into quad vinyl and found this forum while looking for a Trio KSQ 400 manual online. I didn’t find it here but found plenty of interesting info. I have as it happens located the manual and I’ve translated it from German and would like to post it here for others who may be looking in the future . Any tips on how to do this?

Hello from rainy England! I’ve only just recently got into quad vinyl and found this forum while looking for a Trio KSQ 400 manual online. I didn’t find it here but found plenty of interesting info. I have as it happens located the manual and I’ve translated it from German and would like to post it here for others who may be looking in the future . Any tips on how to do this?
You might want to upload it to HiFiEngine

Welcome aboard, and thanks for your efforts!

I don’t know how big your translated manual is, but I’ve seen several .PDF files attached to posts here. If it were me, I’d start a new thread just like you did this one and attach it to the post.

Hello:

I write from Spain, Europe. Since last week I own a Sanyo DCX 3500K. It sounds very well for me with a pair of B&W i201 and a pair of Pioneers.

It has all channels and matrix working right, and all the lights lighting but the power switch is overridden and does not cut the electricity. I have to look if it is the switch fault or some wiring change has made.

I am glad to participate here with my little quad knowledge, but mostly I will learn a lot from all of you.

Thank you..

Hello:

I write from Spain, Europe. Since last week I own a Sanyo DCX 3500K. It sounds very well for me with a pair of B&W i201 and a pair of Pioneers.

It has all channels and matrix working right, and all the lights lighting but the power switch is overridden and does not cut the electricity. I have to look if it is the switch fault or some wiring change has made.

I am glad to participate here with my little quad knowledge, but mostly I will learn a lot from all of you.

Thank you..
Welcome. I hope you get it sorted out and fixed!

Hello:

Thank you..
Welcome to QQ!

And hello from Boston. Longtime mastering, mixing and recording engineer for the well known and obscure artist. Working on any channel count from one to very many. Enthused about working in immersive and cynical about the consumer market......Monitoring includes Grace, Dunlavy, PMC, ATC and Lipinski depending on venue

Back