What standard Stereo Headphones do you use and recommend?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disclaimer:
I don't use headphones for listening to music for enjoyment. Wouldn't even consider it. That's what speakers properly set up in a room are for.
I use headphones for personal monitoring when recording to keep the monitor sound out of the recording microphones.

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO $99 ($80 on sale)

I have two of them to get true Quad!!:SB:whistle::whistle:

You'd need a pair of these for that!

koss_quadraphones.JPG

Disclaimer:
I don't use headphones for listening to music for enjoyment. Wouldn't even consider it. That's what speakers properly set up in a room are for.
I use headphones for personal monitoring when recording to keep the monitor sound out of the recording microphones.

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO $99 ($80 on sale)

I use the same headphones for the same reason. Nice set of cans.

I'd like to open this thread up just a smidge. This forum for me, is about learning, especially since there are many folks here who are in the Audio/Video business and know this subject much better than myself.

The hardware is no good without the software (I'd hope we'd all agree on that!) Mostly what I use headphones for is late at night when I'm having trouble sleeping, I'll grab some cans hooked up to a wireless Squeezbox and check out some tunes. Now maybe I haven't been exposed to the right system (speakers) that can project the sound image out into the room with extreme discreteness, although I have heard many a high-end system. I like to call it aural spatial definition; and I always get way more of that sort of thing with earbuds fitted just right in my ears. On certain stereo songs, I can hear movement of instruments or vocals that are not just side to side but also front to back and up to down. Of course the way the music is engineered in the studio and mixed/mastered must have substantial effect on this. There is a lot of music that just sounds almost two dimensionally flat even on headphones. So I guess what I'm after here, is for "those in the know", and of course anyone else, to comment on this effect and the part good headphones play in producing a more 3 dimensional sound experience.

I often use this type of sound to help mentally visualize what a stereo song could sound like if mixed in surround.

I've been a fan of Sony MDR-V6, which are identical to Sony MDR-7506, for over 25 years. They're very neutral sounding, and used extensively in the recording industry. They're also inexpensive (about $60 when they're on sale). They used to be made in Japan, and extremely resilient, except for the earpads. The newer ones are made in Malaysia (?) and are less robust. When the earpads go (which they inevitably do), you can replace them with Beyerdynamic EDT250V velour earpads. These last forever. They used to be reasonably priced (< $20). I'm not sure if you can still get them for that price.

Last edited:
I've been a fan of Sony MDR-V6, which are identical to Sony MDR-7506, for over 25 years. They're very neutral sounding, and used extensively in the recording industry. They're also inexpensive (about $60 when they're on sale). They used to be made in Japan, and extremely resilient, except for the earpads. The newer ones are made in Malaysia (?) and are less robust. When they earpads go (which they inevitably do), you can replace them with Beyerdynamic EDT250V velour earpads. These last forever. That used to be reasonably priced (< $20). I'm not sure if you can still get them for that price.
Hear hear!!
another big fan of Sony MDR-V6 /MDR-7506 !!! yes I got my 1st pair in 1988(??) and have not looked back since...cheap too!!!

Back