What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't sweat over those OOP Esoteric SACDs. They are all older recordings that will be reissued again...probably on SHM-SACDs or... which will probably have a REAL DSD remastering. I only buy the ones with music that I am interested in.

If you've really got to have Esoteric's SACDs, it's best to buy them when just come out. After they sell out in a few months, they price goes through the roof. Don't ask me why! They have some kind of strange cult following here.. :alienrob:

The Esoteric SACDs seem pretty high priced to me. I haven't picked up any of those.

The Esoteric SACDs seem pretty high priced to me. I haven't picked up any of those.

They are not too expensive when they first come out over here, but there is a big used market for them here. The technicians who do the remasterings sometimes gives workshops here in Tokyo. They have developed quite a following here.

Of course I like their products and have many in my collection. But, I have seen many of the same recordings be released on SHM-SACD as well. Many people over on SACD.net are disappointed with Esoteric because they use PCM sources for their SACDs. On the other hand, most SHM-SACDs remaster the analog tapes directly to DSD. Brian, since you are also a DSD download maven, I think you'll do better to get the DSD downloads than buy those pricey Esoteric SACDs.

But... I am worried about Adam! He's such a collector...like me! LOL! :friday:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The Look Of Love - Diana Krall (DVD-Audio).

(Getting round to all the DVD-A titles that have SACD equivalents.. surprising amount.. getting there.. :) )

image.jpg

They are not too expensive when they first come out over here, but there is a big used market for them here. The technicians who do the remasterings sometimes gives workshops here in Tokyo. They have developed quite a following here.

Of course I like their products and have many in my collection. But, I have seen many of the same recordings be released on SHM-SACD as well. Many people over on SACD.net are disappointed with Esoteric because they use PCM sources for their SACDs. On the other hand, most SHM-SACDs remaster the analog tapes directly to DSD. Brian, since you are also a DSD download maven, I think you'll do better to get the DSD downloads than buy those pricey Esoteric SACDs.

But... I am worried about Adam! He's such a collector...like me! LOL! :friday:

Oh don't worry about me, I'm a born collector (baby I was born this way!) what a lot of you folks and folkettes here won't know, as I never mention it, is that I'm a retro video game collector, with a collection that makes my SACDs etc look like the work of an amateur :eek:

Oh don't worry about me, I'm a born collector (baby I was born this way!) what a lot of you folks and folkettes here won't know, as I never mention it, is that I'm a retro video game collector, with a collection that makes my SACDs etc look like the work of an amateur :eek:

Retro video games!? Now you've REALLY got me worried. Just kidding! LOL!

Only having a little fun with ya, Adam. I should talk, right! ;) It's so nice to share my passion for music with you.

It would be interesting to see that video game collection of yours. Are you into online gaming? What's the "Esoteric" of the game world?

I'm hanging on to my old Panasonic 3DO console and games....though that really isn't TOO retro at the moment. You are probably talking about all those coleco vision games, etc.

Trey Anastasio. S/T

Plenty going on in there and a groovy center channel . though just turned it off to turn on send Joni Mitchell some vibes.

I'm hanging on to my old Panasonic 3DO console and games....though that really isn't TOO retro at the moment. You are probably talking about all those coleco vision games, etc.

3DO's one I've never owned, that and the Neo Geo and Atari Jaguar are the main systems from that time period that interests me that I've not explored.. yet.. Coleco, VCS vintage consoles and the old computer based systems not my thing, I've been thru many of those and other systems like the Intellivision, Spectrum, Commodore, etc and divested myself of them all.. my focus is largely on the 16-bit (and beyond).. Nintendo Super Famicom/SNES/N64/GameCube, Sega Megadrive/Genesis/Mega CD/Sega CD/Saturn/Dreamcast, Sony PS One/2, XBox, PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16.. and various handhelds. Anyway, back to the music! :music

Retro video games!? Now you've REALLY got me worried. Just kidding! LOL!

Only having a little fun with ya, Adam. I should talk, right! ;) It's so nice to share my passion for music with you.

It would be interesting to see that video game collection of yours. Are you into online gaming? What's the "Esoteric" of the game world?

Haha! ;) I'd post a few snaps tho it wouldn't mean much I guess and it's all QQ storage space! I know I'll upload some to my photobucket and post links :) Good question.. is there an Esoteric equivalent? There are loads of Japanese imports that in and of themselves can be pretty obscure to some Western gamers, so much fun!

image.jpg

There's a couple of Les Percussions de Strasbourg SACDs on Accord/Universal that have nice discrete mixes iirc.?

I haven't had a chance to listen to those Accord SACDs yet. Sorry, not into organ donation yet :lookaround

But if they are anything like this Pentatone SACD, they would most definitely be worth seeking out...at a reasonable price of course. This Pentatone SACD is FANTASTICALLY immersive Quad. The music is abstract, so I advise interested buyers to audition some samples on various websites.

Haha! ;) I'd post a few snaps tho it wouldn't mean much I guess and it's all QQ storage space! I know I'll upload some to my photobucket and post links :) Good question.. is there an Esoteric equivalent? There are loads of Japanese imports that in and of themselves can be pretty obscure to some Western gamers, so much fun!

I used to be a big video game enthusiast years ago, but have kind of drifted away from it. However; a lot of the kids around me have gotten me playing a whole bunch of new games online. I guess I haven't changed so much. :teleport: But the thing I most enjoy is seeing their faces light up when the games start.

If you're ever in town here, I'd love to go on a music/game hunt with you. But I'd probably end up learning more than you. LOL! :eek:

View attachment 17953

I haven't had a chance to listen to those Accord SACDs yet. Sorry, not into organ donation yet :lookaround

But if they are anything like this Pentatone SACD, they would most definitely be worth seeking out...at a reasonable price of course. This Pentatone SACD is FANTASTICALLY immersive Quad. The music is abstract, so I advise interested buyers to audition some samples on various websites.

Haha! Like all this surround stuff those two Accords have gone up too.. there was a time Fnac & co couldn't give them away!

I've picked up a few RQR Pentatone's and wasn't knocked out by the surround-y-ness.. :eek:

Haha! Like all this surround stuff those two Accords have gone up too.. there was a time Fnac & co couldn't give them away!

I've picked up a few RQR Pentatone's and wasn't knocked out by the surround-y-ness.. :eek:

I know what you mean. And so, it was very interesting to hear what Thomas Mowrey was saying over on SACD.net. According to him, the American labels and British EMI were hot on the idea of 360 degree surround recordings, but DG's (Deutsch Gramophone) executives were worried about the technology for home playback and decided against it. Mowrey was one of the few people doing such recordings for them.

Their actual reply was, “Why should we buy clouds to bring rain when what we need is sunshine?” :yikes :yikes :yikes

But, those currently in charge over at Pentatone seem to care much more about surround sound. I commend their efforts to get many previously unreleased 70s Quad treasures remastered & released on SACD...at a reasonable price.

Back