Where do you spend your music $$

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solaris

900 Club - QQ All-Star
What format have you been buying in the last 6 months.

CD 15%

SACD 20%

Dualdisc 30%

DVD Audio 35%

Hard to say, but I estimate:

SACD - 30%
DualDisc - 25%
LP - 20%
DVD-A - 15%
CD - 10%

The breakdown isn't necessarily purposeful, just due to what I already have, what's available and what I've chosen to concentrate on lately.

Last six months:
DVD-A: 44%
DVD-V: 22% (these are MUSIC DVDs, although not all have DTS)
SACD: 20%
DualDisc: 8% (only 2 discs in the past 6 months: Jamie Cullum & "Brothers In Arms")
Digital Downloads: 6%

The reason I'm answering this thread is to make a point: since getting into hi-rez & MC, I simply don't see the value in buying CDs anymore. If "all I'm getting" is the stereo music, I'd rather spend $9 for the downloads than $16 for the physical disc with booklet and jewel case.

Maybe I'm an oddball here: I love hi-rez and MC, and of course that's what this forum is about, but I also love my 30GB mp3 player that will give me 7,000 songs in the palm of my hand.

Let me know if I should start packing my bags... :eek:

DVD-A ....................32%

SACD.......................24%

LP...........................12%

DVD-V (Music)...........12%

Dual Disc...................10%

CD (including DTS CD)..10%

It was tough to remember exactly when they were purchased, so I guess this is close. Either I'm getting old, or maybe I've had a few too many microbrews in the past 6 months (or both). :eek:

Last edited:
Due to all the AIX stuff I have been buying the scale is probably tipping in favour of DVD-A. So I would say,

CD's - 1% (just "On An Island")
DVD-A - 55%
SACD - 35%
DualDisc - 4%
DVD-V - 5%

SACD - 80%
DVD-A - 5%
CD - 15%
DualDisc - ? (only by accident, except for the Brick)
DVD-V - ? (Bought 1 this year but for my granddaughter. I rent.)
LP - This year, I sold more than I bought.

Kal

SACD: 80%
DVD-A: 15%
CD:5%

I don't discriminate between SACD and DVD-A; the issue now is the availability factor. Initially I bought a lot of DVD-A's which are simply not being released in any quantity any more.

I buy about 10 new DVD titles (music - no movies) or more per month. I only buy cds when there is something I really want. Unfortunately, I can only buy DVD-A or SACD titles as I find them. I hate buying new music on the internet. I want it NOW!! The big titles like Brothers In Arms or the new Moody's I purchased on the internet though. I may have to change my ways and start buying more internet titles.:(

DVD-V - 70%
CD/DualDisc - 15%
DVD-A/SACD 15%

Good Thread!!
I only hope that the right eyes see this.

DVD-A 50%
DVD-V 30% (Music Only/5.1 or DTS)
SACD 10%
CD 10% (Dream Theatre & Spock's Beard) Wish they were MC!

I'm sort of split equally between DVD-A and DVD-V with DTS streams for preference, but will also buy a Dolby Digital title if there is no alternative.
CD? If I really, really want it.

80% lp's + singles
10% shellack records
10% cd's

(i know, it's not the most beautifull list... who cares about old 78rpm records... :p )

wish this weren't the case but:
65% cd
15% dvd-a
15% dual (mch)
5% sacd
problem is, i have most of my "wanted" mch releases already, and not enough new mch product is getting released (like i'm telling you guys something you don't already know...) meanwhile, there's been those darn redbook cd box sets i can't seem to stop buying (ray charles, the band, rhino girl groups).

probably a 50-50 mix of DVD-A and 8-tracks.Of the 8-tracks it's a 50-50 mix of regular and quad-8....I still use em.Haveing an old Ford quad 8-track in my 69 Mach 1 Mustang...I just couldn't drive it without listening to old 8-tracks as I did as a teenager,,,no more then it goes on the road now that gas has went to the moon in prices.

Back