Which CD-4 calibration disk to which demodulator?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolvkarsten

The reason for this question is that I have a JVC 4DD-5 demodulator, but no calibration disk.
On ebay calibration disks and demodulators frequently pops up. But not always paired.
So I am hunting for a CD-4 adjustment LP. I have missed a JVC, but I won a h/k. But maybe it is incompatible with the 4DD-5?

Does anyone have a list/cross-reference chart for this "problem" that I am convinced others also get into?

-RK

Any CD-4 set up disc with a carrier level track will be fine for the 4DD-5. There are a few "special" discs for the Technics SH400 and JVC CD4-50 but they are very rare. I use the Harmon Kardon disk and it is fine.

Malcolm

A calibration record is not absolutely necessary to accomplish calibration except for a special demodulator like the SH400 which has crosstalk cancellation.
In fact you will find it useful to use a regular recording during the final adjustment of the carrier level. With the separation pots turned down all you get is what comes from the subcarriers. It's supposed to sound hollow, but your goal is to reduce distortion as much as possible. Adjust slowly either way to find the sweetest spot, once you have it close with the alignment record. Then adjust the separation pots right side and left side separately for the best separation from front to back.
I have written several times about the procedure, in much more detail, and I suspect those writings can be found in the archives.

The Quadfather

Back