Which NAS do list members prefer?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

minimumtumbleweed

I may be doing something wrong or dumb or may have a switch I haven't noticed set wrong. :rolleyes:
If using PC, I would use MusicBee or foobar2000 for the best audio experience. Heard jRiver is good but never tried it. Now that I've started streaming my music from a different room, Emby has been great (I've mentioned this a few times on this thread already...). VLC, I would leave for video, although I think there are better options for video, such as MPC-HC (specifically clsid's fork which is still actively developed: Releases · clsid2/mpc-hc).

fcormier

I guess then I'm wasting space. I rip all video to MKV. In my experience, nearly everything supports MKV playback as well.

Considering the low price of modern storage, I'm not too worried about the space issue.
My 6 TB drives are 200$CAD and 12 TB drives are 400$CAD and I have four, so it would be 800$ more (considering a ~50% compression). I prefer to spend a little time compressing my videos and have money to buy discs because I still don't have bottomless pockets.

fcormier

Why do you prefer EAC? They both have "Accurate Rip". I do have to admit that I am going to study the file naming details a little bit more. dbpoweamp adds file layers more than EAC in the naming it seems. NAS file naming is something else I would be very curious about how our list membership go about things.

I do have and use a Roku and locating one in the big music room would be easy.
Even if both have AccurateRip, EAC has Secure mode which is more reliable than burst mode.

As for organizing/naming method, it's complicated for me.
Music is on one drive, videos another.
Music is separated in stereo and surround and each are separated according to sources (BD, CD, DVD, DVDA, FLAC, MP3) and originals are separate from the copies (borrowed discs, content downloaded from unofficial sources). Names are always "artist - track number - track name" except when there are multiple artists, then it's "track number - artist - track name".
Videos are separated according to types (movies, concerts, other types of videos and there are subfolders for disc extras).

atrocity

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Even if both have AccurateRip, EAC has Secure mode which is more reliable than burst mode.
dBpoweramp and CueRipper do as well.

One big advantage to dBpoweramp is that it's smart: It will rip in burst mode, then automatically go to secure if it doesn't match AccurateRip.

Easy Audio Copy (the non-free version of Exact Audio Copy) will do the same.

fcormier

dBpoweramp and CueRipper do as well.

One big advantage to dBpoweramp is that it's smart: It will rip in burst mode, then automatically go to secure if it doesn't match AccurateRip.

Easy Audio Copy (the non-free version of Exact Audio Copy) will do the same.
Back when I switched to Exact Audio Copy (2005), it was the only one that had secure copy and I haven't looked back since.

And it appears you're right about Easy Audio Copy (it's the first time I hear about this software) since they both have the same contact info.

Mackspower

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
QNAP (6 Bay - 653A). Super solid, regular updates, release testing is a bit lax but updates happen quick enough for these occasional hiccups not to matter in the scheme of things. Don’t believe the security vulnerability posts in this thread. Even the most cursory research will reveal the root causes were outside QNAP control.

QTS operating system is truely Just-A-Bunch-Of-Disk (JBOD) tolerant. Through just any combo of disks at this unit and it will manage. Three thumbs up, recommended.

Stupy

Finally coming to the party on this thread.

Looks like we are running Synology. A certain acquaintance has a main NAS and backup NAS; I have the backup and it's all Synology.

I am still personally touchy about the NAS idea; because all that data correction cannot save us from fire, electrical catastrophe or theft. The latter two being the bigger risks; we do get decent storms.

So a lot of my personal system is still hard drives- with offsite backup hard drives *shrugs*.

Guy Robinson

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Finally coming to the party on this thread.

Looks like we are running Synology. A certain acquaintance has a main NAS and backup NAS; I have the backup and it's all Synology.

I am still personally touchy about the NAS idea; because all that data correction cannot save us from fire, electrical catastrophe or theft. The latter two being the bigger risks; we do get decent storms.

So a lot of my personal system is still hard drives- with offsite backup hard drives *shrugs*.
To me this is the smartest solution. Offsite storage. Every other tactic as you point out is flawed, fancy NAS or not.

Last edited: