Why DV Didn't Select Blu-ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is probably making Michael want to jump through his monitor and shake something or someone. His main customer base, the customers that have been supporting Dutton-Vocalion since its inception, long before we discovered him and his affection for surround music, are primarily purchasing his product because it plays in their CD PLAYERS. If he were to change and ask those folks to instead go out and get a BluRay player, no matter how cheap it might be, is an instant way to lose a large portion of his clientele.

Folks on "The Internet" always profess to know what's best and/or better for companies and corporations, but in reality those entities know what their customers want, and in this case, the 4.0 SACD layer is basically a "gift" for us, the motley crew here at QQ and the few other wackos that like this stuff. The CD layer is what it's all about at D-V, and that, my friends, is the heart of the matter.

This thread is probably making Michael want to jump through his monitor and shake something or someone. His main customer base, the customers that have been supporting Dutton-Vocalion since its inception, long before we discovered him and his affection for surround music, are primarily purchasing his product because it plays in their CD PLAYERS. If he were to change and ask those folks to instead go out and get a BluRay player, no matter how cheap it might be, is an instant way to lose a large portion of his clientele.

Folks on "The Internet" always profess to know what's best and/or better for companies and corporations, but in reality those entities know what their customers want, and in this case, the 4.0 SACD layer is basically a "gift" for us, the motley crew here at QQ and the few other wackos that like this stuff. The CD layer is what it's all about at D-V, and that, my friends, is the heart of the matter.

And as Steelydave recently posted:

THERE'S MORE ON THE WAY .........

The Wizard and his Elves have hardly been IDLE

See the source image

ANSWER: cause...
I am NOT abig fan of the extra ultrasonic noise on SACDs but I totally understand their decision...DVD-A players are non existent unfortunately and BD asks for a fee...of course it is also reflected on the really low list price for DV's TWOFERS!!!!
The wizard of Watford strikes again... ¡Olé!!!!

Not true. Most DVD players cannot play SACD, they'll play the CD layer only. Only expensive models are SACD capable generally, and not even all of those. If you are convinced otherwise then post supporting data.
hate to play the devil´s advocate cause I am NOT a fan of Sony hardware but you can get a (even region free) BD player with MCH SACD playback from these people..they even ship internationally....I have a couple from them...

ANSWER: cause...
I am NOT abig fan of the extra ultrasonic noise on SACDs but I totally understand their decision...DVD-A players are non existent unfortunately and BD asks for a fee...of course it is also reflected on the really low list price for DV's TWOFERS!!!!
The wizard of Watford strikes again... ¡Olé!!!!

KAP, you must have a dog's hearing if you can detect that ultrasonic noise inherent in the SACD format ..... Bless Ye! On my systems, it's really never been an issue.

OPPO, I believe, popularized the concept of the UNIVERSAL PLAYER, with other hardware manufacturers following suit and if you recall, SONY NEVER released a true Universal player until they FINALLY incorporated DVD~A playback into their X800 UHD4K player.

I bought an Arcam DV137 universal player before I got into Oppo. Admittedly Blu Ray didn't exist at the time, but the DV-137 was universal at the the time I bought it.

And the problem with that is, SACD is an awful format. Nasty copy protection, limited range of players, DSD's nasty audio noise shaping foibles, yuck. The only benefit is it is lossless and can be ripped and converted to a sensible format if you have the equipment and time.

Would it be cheaper to sell albums as a basic CD plus a micro SD card thrown in with the multi channel hi res FLACs? Last I heard only one pressing plant in the world can still make SACDs. They're not just DVDs plus a CD layer, the SACD copy protection has some pits where the width contains the information. What happens when the pressing plant burns down or gets flooded?

And the problem with that is, SACD is an awful format. Nasty copy protection, limited range of players, DSD's nasty audio noise shaping foibles, yuck. The only benefit is it is lossless and can be ripped and converted to a sensible format if you have the equipment and time.

Would it be cheaper to sell albums as a basic CD plus a micro SD card thrown in with the multi channel hi res FLACs? Last I heard only one pressing plant in the world can still make SACDs. They're not just DVDs plus a CD layer, the SACD copy protection has some pits where the width contains the information. What happens when the pressing plant burns down or gets flooded?

I think you have a lot of misconceptions about the SACD format ... sure they're harder to rip ..... but IF you're into Classical Music, I doubt they would choose a format which fails to do justice to their masters......and the hybrid nature does ensure they're backwards compatible with ALL RBCD players.

BTW, SONY Japan still presses SACDs; SHM~SACDs are manufactured by Universal in Japan and I believe besides the SACD pressing Plant in Austria, there still MIGHT be one in Germany.

I personally, have always been a fan of DVD~Audio but its demise can be traced to failure of being backwards compatible with the ubiquitous RBCD players.

And basic CDs with a micro SD card???? Dream on .....WAAAYYYY too complicated for the 'average joe' who probably have NEVER heard of any formats other than CDs and DVD....and still haven't even upgraded to blu ray much less 4K!

Simplicity, SIMPLICITY!

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't know what to do with the micro SD card can just ignore it.

Seriously, I hate SACD as a format. It is a complete pain. Yes it plays, but if you want to do anything else with it good luck.

Back